Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Installed fog light kit in wifes' new car

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks

Installed fog light kit in wifes' new car

The new Nissan Versa Note Hatchback doesn't come with DRL's (daytime running lights) nor any fog lights.
    Soooooo......I bought a OEM kit from a Nissan supplier out of Cranbury Rhode Island, for 1/6th the price that the local Nissan dealership charges.
    Spent 4 hours taking the front end apart like they recommend, and guess what? There was NOT the "plug & play" connection to attach the new lighting harness to.
    Well, not to be outsmarted by Mother Nissan, I attack it from a different angle.
    Snipped off the OEM plug connector to the new harness and added a matching/mating pair of connectors.
    Installed the mounting brackets for the lights, hooked up the new fog lights, zip-tied the wiring bundle tight to the frame, added a 20A fuse going up to the fuse box, tied into the ignition module (allows the new lights to operate in vehicle run mode and shuts them off when car is turned off), wrapped all my new wiring in the corrugated plastic bundle you buy from any auto parts store to make it look like factory wiring, cranked it up and voila !!!! The bride now has fog lights AND they act as default DRL's.
    Here's a pic of the finished product.
    NOTE: "A country boy will survive".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1355.JPG  
    RandyM, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 9 others like this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Way to go Bill! Looks great. Never doubted you for a second.
    Bill Berger likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Way to go Bill! Looks great. Never doubted you for a second.
    At one long forgotten point in time, here in America anyways, a mans promise and a hand shake was all it took to seal a deal. I've always tried my best to live up to those simple standards.
    My real concern though, is why is it that we DONT have a "law" that requires all new vehicles to come from the factory with at least DRL's?
    I personally consider it a safety issue, and one that I'm not willing to compromise my dear wifes' life with.
    Sooooooo........I reckon' we just "build a better mouse trap", eh?
    Levi, flyweight, Marlin and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Bill....... Good job.
    Bill Berger likes this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Nice looking job,.

I'm going to open a can of worms but ... I can see the reason for DRLs but needs one step further. Why let you see a car coming at you,,if driving on a 4 lane road , if you can't see the back of the car after it has passed you.
    Auto lights don't turn on your lights at times when they are needed. Say in a snow storm, fog, heavy rains. if some idiot goes pass you or you come up behind a car with no headlights on ,YOU CAN NOT SEE THE BACK OF THE VEHICLE ,till to late.

When we bought are Odyssey ,I had the choice with or without the DRL . I told them I would turn on my headlights and people could see in fog, rain or snow. Our lights are on 99% of the time, the Vibe has the DRL hate them .

Sorry off subject.
    Levi and Bill Berger like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berger View Post

Well, not to be outsmarted by Mother Nissan, I attack it from a different angle.
    Snipped off the OEM plug connector to the new harness and added a matching/mating pair of connectors.
    Installed the mounting brackets for the lights, hooked up the new fog lights, zip-tied the wiring bundle tight to the frame, added a 20A fuse going up to the fuse box, tied into the ignition module (allows the new lights to operate in vehicle run mode and shuts them off when car is turned off), wrapped all my new wiring in the corrugated plastic bundle you buy from any auto parts store to make it look like factory wiring, cranked it up and voila !!!! The bride now has fog lights AND they act as default DRL's.
    Here's a pic of the finished product.
    NOTE: "A country boy will survive".
    Like the way you did it!
    Great job.
    Bill Berger likes this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    At one long forgotten point in time, here in America anyways, a mans promise and a hand shake was all it took to seal a deal. I've always tried my best to live up to those simple standards.
    My real concern though, is why is it that we DONT have a "law" that requires all new vehicles to come from the factory with at least DRL's?
    I personally consider it a safety issue, and one that I'm not willing to compromise my dear wifes' life with.
    Sooooooo........I reckon' we just "build a better mouse trap", eh?
    We don't need the law, they should just have the common decency to put in on so if we want to use it we can and if not, we can do that too. Besides this way you got to use your skills for less money.
    Last edited by Levi; 06-01-2015 at 06:21 PM.
    Old Cajun and Bill Berger like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Nice looking job,.

I'm going to open a can of worms but ... I can see the reason for DRLs but needs one step further. Why let you see a car coming at you,,if driving on a 4 lane road , if you can't see the back of the car after it has passed you.
    Auto lights don't turn on your lights at times when they are needed. Say in a snow storm, fog, heavy rains. if some idiot goes pass you or you come up behind a car with no headlights on ,YOU CAN NOT SEE THE BACK OF THE VEHICLE ,till to late.

When we bought are Odyssey ,I had the choice with or without the DRL . I told them I would turn on my headlights and people could see in fog, rain or snow. Our lights are on 99% of the time, the Vibe has the DRL hate them .

Sorry off subject.
    In "most" States, their laws require the driver to use headlights in "any" situation that comes up involving any and all forms of "precipitation".
    This includes: rain, snow, sleet, hail, fog, mist, etc....
    It's just my conclusion that "distracted" folks using cell phones (hate'em!), fiddling with the radio, or just having a conversation with a passenger is more likely to see some bright lights coming at them, thus, avoiding a needless crash.
    That thought probably comes from my 48 years of behind the wheel experience, in which I was never involved in any wrecks that I myself was responsible for, and over time, watching how little attention the general public pays while they are behind the wheel.
    Last edited by Bill Berger; 06-01-2015 at 07:46 PM.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    In "most" States, their laws require the driver to use headlights in "any" situation that comes up involving any and all forms of "precipitation".
    It's just my conclusion that "distracted" folks using cell phones (hate'em!), fiddling with the radio, or just having a conversation with a passenger is more likely to see some bright lights coming at them, thus, avoiding a needless crash.
    That thought probably comes from my 48 years of behind the wheel experience, in which I was never involved in any wrecks that I myself was responsible for, and over time, watching how little attention the general public pays while they are behind the wheel.
    I agree it is the law ,in the majority of the states if not all the states , but a large amount of people driving fails to turn on the headlights. I'm just saying the DRL just needs to go one step further and include the tail lights.
    I'm guessing between my working years and personal driving (well over a Million Miles) had 2 accidents a deer ran in front of me and a woman pulled into the side of the company van.
    I with all the defensive driving courses , , the same here and yes any thing to get someones attention HELPS. as before DRL just needs to go one step more, with lights on the rear , because of some many of the distracted drivers think their DRL are headlights .
    Levi and Bill Berger like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 2,550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    I agree it is the law ,in the majority of the states if not all the states , but a large amount of people driving fails to turn on the headlights. I'm just saying the DRL just needs to go one step further and include the tail lights.
    I'm guessing between my working years and personal driving (well over a Million Miles) had 2 accidents a deer ran in front of me and a woman pulled into the side of the company van.
    I with all the defensive driving courses , , the same here and yes any thing to get someones attention HELPS. as before DRL just needs to go one step more, with lights on the rear , because of some many of the distracted drivers think their DRL are headlights .
    I truly believe that many people don't even know how to turn on the headlights manually, they assume they will come on if needed automatically.
    etcallhome, Levi and Bill Berger like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast