Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Used Cooking oil!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks

Used Cooking oil!

Just to strike up a subject to talk about while we wait for
    I have herd and read alot about people runnung diesel engins on pure filtered deep frier oil. Now I have read some people mix it with stuff to make bio diesel, but what I want know is about the ones that say they just pour the oil into their tanks and go, and if any of you have ever or would ever try any of this?
    I bring this up because I do a lot of deep frying at home and produce about 10-20 gallons of oil a year that I have to dispose of.
    Jeff

2012 X540
    Rim Guard loaded rear tires
    48'' Snow Plow with Angle Kit
    52''X24'' Lawn Roller

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-30-2013 @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    I made biodiesel for 4 years, and put about 70K on the VW, and about 10K on the F-350, and very little on the Smart. Can't speak to running pure veggie as I never got into it, but making bio is like having a second job, as it's labor intensive. Also, I'd skip it if you're only going to use 10-20 gals a year. Cost to set up either method will far outstrip any cost savings you would have with such a paltry amount. I was a small operation, and I used 100- 200 gals a year...

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    A few yeas ago I found some videos on the John deere website about bio diesel. They have an intrest in selling stuff to grow soybeans to make the stuff. The catch seemed to be the additives to add to the stuff if you go past like 5% biodiesel. Sorry I can't link to the videos I just remember them. Check with whatever company made the diesel engine and use all the aditives they recomend.

I see the stuff on TV about that used cooking oil. They never go deep enough to explain the modifications those folks are using. In a way what is the difference if it was just burned in a furnace for heat instead of new heating oil (almost diesel) and the engine got fresh fuel. Maybe a cash advantage for someone in particular but not going to save the planet. I also have seen in some instances where you could see how slimey the body panel was near the exhaust pipe.

Fran

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,578 Posts

If it sounds to good to be true...

then it probably is.

UVO (used veggie oil) is huge PITA as George mentioned. The effort put into it is hardly worth the effort IMHO.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    then it probably is.

UVO (used veggie oil) is huge PITA as George mentioned. The effort put into it is hardly worth the effort IMHO.
    Just like home brewing beer is too from watching friends do that hobby.

Personally if the engine manufacturer makes no mention that it's safe to use; I'd be real reluctant to possibly harm my expensive engine by trying to burn veggie oil in it. There's got to be other uses for it. I'm assuming that disposing it in an environmentally friendly way is a pain in the butt like trying to get rid of used antifreeze is.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Bio is safe to use, not so sure on SVO (Straight Veggie Oil). Lots of pics over on tdiclub.com of fubared engines that were run on SVO. I'd still be doing bio if it wasn't for the labor factor...

Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Just like home brewing beer is too from watching friends do that hobby.

Personally if the engine manufacturer makes no mention that it's safe to use; I'd be real reluctant to possibly harm my expensive engine by trying to burn veggie oil in it. There's got to be other uses for it. I'm assuming that disposing it in an environmentally friendly way is a pain in the butt like trying to get rid of used antifreeze is.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    Great input guys
    I only brought this topic up because everytime I change out the oil in my fryer it is almost 3 gallons, there are so many diferent stories out there I was just wanting to get your thoughts,
    I have read and herd of people just mixing the oil with there diesel a little at a time, but I guess my concern would be things like the fuel injectors clogging or something along those lines
    Everyone has herd stories of diesel cars or pick-ups smelling like french fries going down the road...
    I have been known to do some crazy stuff and take a walk on the wild side sometimes, so maybe after the warranty is up I will try some of this but not till then.
    Jeff

2012 X540
    Rim Guard loaded rear tires
    48'' Snow Plow with Angle Kit
    52''X24'' Lawn Roller

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    You are courting disaster if you plan on just mixing in veggie in with diesel. Don't know where you read it or heard it, but if I were you I'd forget it, and fast. If you're serious about using it SVO as opposed to bio you should look at one of the myriad of SVO kits out there, one is listed below. again, I think you're wasting your time with such a small amount, but hey it's your dime...

http://www.frybrid.com

Quote Originally Posted by has15 View Post
    Great input guys
    I only brought this topic up because everytime I change out the oil in my fryer it is almost 3 gallons, there are so many diferent stories out there I was just wanting to get your thoughts,
    I have read and herd of people just mixing the oil with there diesel a little at a time, but I guess my concern would be things like the fuel injectors clogging or something along those lines
    Everyone has herd stories of diesel cars or pick-ups smelling like french fries going down the road...
    I have been known to do some crazy stuff and take a walk on the wild side sometimes, so maybe after the warranty is up I will try some of this but not till then.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dellwas For This Useful Post:

dieselshadow(01-24-2012)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Biodiesel and SVO (straight vegetable oil) are two very different creatures, and both are fairly labor intensive.

Biodiesel can be run in any diesel engine with no modifications to the engine. The 'modifications' are made to the oil. You take vegetable oil and process it with filters, chemicals, and some other stuff to produce fuel.

SVO can be run in a diesel as well, and requires much less work every time you need to fill up. It takes an awful lot of work to set up properly, though. The oil has to be filtered very well, and the water removed. No further oil processing is required. The vehicle/ engine is usually set up with a second fuel tank specifically for the oil. That tank has to be heated, otherwise the oil will not flow properly. It requires it's own fuel pump and filters, and the heater is often run off the vehicle's cooling system, which means hoses have to be ran for that as well. You start the engine on diesel and get it up to operating temperature, then switch to the vegetable oil. A few minutes before you shut the engine down, you would switch back to diesel in order to flush the lines and injectors on the engine so it will start properly cold.

Depending on your engine, you can mix vegetable oil into the fuel to some degree. The oil has to be filtered incredibly well. Some of the newer (model year '08+) diesel pickups are very picky about fuel quality, and I wouldn't risk it. Not sure how sensitive your tractor is. If you want to mix it in, it's better to do it in the summer months. The warm weather makes it easier for the SVO to flow. Again, the oil has to be very well filtered and you can expect your fuel filters to need changing much more often. If you only have two or three gallons a year, you might spend more on fuel filters than you save by burning the vegetable oil.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

Kennyd(01-24-2012)

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Very good post! Here's one I did a while back on bio, post#12:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ight=biodiesel

Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Biodiesel and SVO (straight vegetable oil) are two very different creatures, and both are fairly labor intensive.

Biodiesel can be run in any diesel engine with no modifications to the engine. The 'modifications' are made to the oil. You take vegetable oil and process it with filters, chemicals, and some other stuff to produce fuel.

SVO can be run in a diesel as well, and requires much less work every time you need to fill up. It takes an awful lot of work to set up properly, though. The oil has to be filtered very well, and the water removed. No further oil processing is required. The vehicle/ engine is usually set up with a second fuel tank specifically for the oil. That tank has to be heated, otherwise the oil will not flow properly. It requires it's own fuel pump and filters, and the heater is often run off the vehicle's cooling system, which means hoses have to be ran for that as well. You start the engine on diesel and get it up to operating temperature, then switch to the vegetable oil. A few minutes before you shut the engine down, you would switch back to diesel in order to flush the lines and injectors on the engine so it will start properly cold.

Depending on your engine, you can mix vegetable oil into the fuel to some degree. The oil has to be filtered incredibly well. Some of the newer (model year '08+) diesel pickups are very picky about fuel quality, and I wouldn't risk it. Not sure how sensitive your tractor is. If you want to mix it in, it's better to do it in the summer months. The warm weather makes it easier for the SVO to flow. Again, the oil has to be very well filtered and you can expect your fuel filters to need changing much more often. If you only have two or three gallons a year, you might spend more on fuel filters than you save by burning the vegetable oil.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast