Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fast food !?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks

Wink Fast food !?

Bring back any memories?

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
    'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
    'All the food was slow.'
    'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?'
    'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. !
    'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10.
    It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 PM, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m.And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. He had to get upat 6AM every morning.

Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
    Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:
    My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Lemonade bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
    Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
    Ignition switches on the dashboard.
    Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
    Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
    Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
    Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
    Ratings at the bottom

1. Sweet cigarettes
    2. Coffee shops with juke boxes
    3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
    4. Party lines on the telephone
    5. Newsreels before the movie
    6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.. (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate])
    7. Peashooters
    8. 33 rpm records
    9. 45 RPM records
    10. Hi-fi's
    11. Metal ice trays with levers
    12. Blue flashbulb
    13. Cork popguns
    14. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
    If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
    If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
    If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient!

I must be 'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.
    Stop by and Talk Tools at WorkShopAddict

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    I'm not going to give an answer. I can't remember what the question was.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    AAAAhh yes, the good ol' days. But, that is how it was. Don't tell anyone, but I don't own a cell phone now. I guess I just don't understand knowing unimportant stuff immeadiately. I guess I am funny that way.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    AAAAhh yes, the good ol' days. But, that is how it was. Don't tell anyone, but I don't own a cell phone now. I guess I just don't understand knowing unimportant stuff immeadiately. I guess I am funny that way.
    I wasn't one of the first to get a cell phone. Ended up getting one because of a business I started.

One thing I don't understand is the complete out of control obsession some have with the latest gadget that comes out. You'll see folks camped out in front of store just to be among the first to buy a hunk of plastic that's computerized. To each their own I guess.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    Tech Guy

I rate as positively ancient on your quiz.

Grew up with BB Guns, Wrist Rockets, Bow & Arrows, biking-skate boarding with no helmets, swimming with no water wings/nose plug/ear plugs, all metal Tonka toys, driven in cars as a child with no child seat or seat belts and an ALL Metal Dash board, played hockey in the winter outdoors with no pads or helmets, ditto with tackle football, had rock fights on dirt hills with real rocks, as an infant crawled around a house with no safety latches on cabinet doors, house had a milk chute the Twin Pines milk man used to place the glass jars of milk into, Good Humor man had bells on his old Ford ice cream truck. The kids can laugh, and mine do at the stories I tell them but I'd consider my self as having growing up in a "normal" fashion and fairly well adjusted. My only problem is the disease I have which attracts me to green and yellow machines with the initials of "JD"
    Tony
    2009 JD 3520 ENCLOSED CAB
    300CX LOADER, 72D AUTO CONNECT MMM, 366 FRONT BLADE - MODIFIED, 3 PT SB1174 SNOW BLOWER, PALLET FORKS, RC1072 ROTARY MOWER, JD i-MATCH QUICK HITCH, BOX BLADE, BALLAST BOX, CUSTOM LED STROBE LIGHTS

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I'm only 42, and I got a 10. We had a milkman, had a tv but only 1, and we watched what DAD had on. Whent out " hunting" with a 22 by the time I was 10. Use to ride on tubes pulled by a snowmoble. As soon as could some what reach the petals on the lawnmower it was my job to mow the lawn and blow snow.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Thanks
    I'm ancient!

Quote Originally Posted by green and red man View Post
    One thing I don't understand is the complete out of control obsession some have with the latest gadget that comes out. You'll see folks camped out in front of store just to be among the first to buy a hunk of plastic that's computerized. To each their own I guess.
    I call them idiots.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    I was afraid this would be the result before i took the quiz: positively ancient. 13 of 14. Bummer.
    Wayne
    2013 JD 4520 CUT with 400X FEL
    1942 LA John Deere
    1910 John Deere Freight Wagon (restored)
    1946 John Deere Series 300 two disk plow

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    13 out of 14. Glad there were no mention of riding in a horse drawn sleigh and using an out house. For the record, I was born _after_ they invented fire and rocks.

And for the geeks in the crowd, this "old timer" reference:
    Computer word lengths were in multiples of 6 bits, not eight.
    Used a KSR 35 teletype.
    Remember when the jump to a 300 baud modem was a quantum leap.
    Remember when self-modifying code was an approved way to save memory.
    Core memory.
    Discrete transistor logic.
    Ferroresonant power supplies.

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    06-05-2019 @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks
    14 out of 14 - guess that makes me an official old [email protected]!

The mention of all-metal dashboards reminds me of a conversation I had with a CHP officer at the fair one year. He said that all the foam dashbords were good for was to allow him to pick the teeth out of the foam instead of picking them up off the floorboard. IIRC, foam dashboards came out first on the '56 Ford.

We also had bread delivery trucks in the early '50s, but it was pricey compared to the supermarket, so we rarely got it. Good Humor ice cream vendors mostly drove International KB-1 trucks from the late '40s, and had a loudspeaker playing a tune on bells. Can still hear it. And I got to run all over heavy construction jobs as long as I didn't get in the way - try that now! And ride dump trucks, concrete mixers, and even road rollers - not to mention the D8s! I enjoyed growing up in the '50s, wouldn't want to be a teen now!

Fred

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast