Like Tree23Likes

Thread: RIP Meadowlark Lemon

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts

RIP Meadowlark Lemon

Anybody ever see the Harlem Globetrotters? I did when I was a kid, it was a real treat!

Meadowlark Lemon Biography - Official Website

Meadowlark Lemon - WSJ
    arlen, farmgirl19, Jeff R. and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (01-01-2016), farmgirl19 (01-01-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Seen them once , at the Civic Arena, Pittsburgh Pa what a show.
    Never knew for sure what was going to happen next.

RIP Meadowlark Lemon.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Many years ago, The Harlem Globetrotters used to come to our High School every 3 to 5 years or so for a sold out show. Saw them a few times there. Meadowlark never stopped talking and joking and never stopped moving. A good entertainer in an era when entertainment was more than merely being on a "reality" show.

Hard to imagine him stopped moving. But I guess it will happen to all of us eventually. I sincerely hope he was rewarded financially for all of his years of dedication to his craft and the enjoyment he brought so many people.

May he rest in peace.........

On a side note, Muhammad Ali used to be a neighbor of mine. His "training farm" is just down the road a short piece. He used to run by on the roads during his fighting days and after his retirement, you would often see him at the local Dairy Queen and grocery store. We used the same Veterinarian and would often see his wife Lonnie there bringing in their Dobermans and Rottweilers for boarding and often Muhammad would be waiting in the car, always friendly and gracious to anyone he met.

My wife and I supported a special fundraiser he and his wife Lonnie held for a local college scholarship fund and as a thank you, he gave us his copy of the Nicely framed Academy Award Movie Poster which was presented to him by the Academy when the documentary 'When we were Kings" about the Rumble in the Jungle won an Academy Award for Best Documentary in 1996. He autographed it and it is something which we really treasure. He also gave us the original CD which was produced just for him and his wife by a jazz artist who was part of the music team for the documentary. A r
    eally nice couple and very generous and community oriented. Despite all of his success and achievements, he is a very nice and "normal" man. No airs or pretense about either him or his wife. When you shake his hand, his hand just swallows mine and I am 6'4" and 260 pounds and wear xx large gloves, so I am not a small guy.

One time we were at the local Dairy Queen and in came Muhammad and his wife. He walked around and shook hands and was very friendly. He even had one family follow him back to his house and he personally autographed boxing gloves which he gave to the kids. He is a class act.

Sadly, he has been seriously afflicted by Parkinsons and he has since moved to Scottsdale. He still owns his "farm" here last I heard.

Sorry to get off track here. Thinking about great sports figures just reminded me of how fortunate we have been to really get to know Muhammad and his wife Lonnie............
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 01-01-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    Kennyd, glc, ColonyPark and 3 others like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Never saw them in person, but on TV. Meadowlark was a real funny guy and extremely handy with a basketball.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and farmgirl19 like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Thanks
    Saw them in Hartford Ct along time ago, was always a fan. They put on a great show.
    RIP Meadowlark
    etcallhome likes this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

9. Top | #6
    tj1
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Anybody ever see the Harlem Globetrotters? I did when I was a kid, it was a real treat!

Meadowlark Lemon Biography - Official Website

Meadowlark Lemon - WSJ
    Like Sulley stated; The globe Trotters used to come to our high school back in the late 60"s and Meadowlark was quite a hit along with the entire team. When we saw one of them "dunk" a ball that was awesome, no one did that back then.. The other team that also would do that very same thing was the Harlem Wizards, and they may have had a few of the same players, if not all of them. The trotters used to play the teachers, pulling down their shorts while making a free throws etc.. Funny stuff. It was always a great time. Thanks for posting..
    ColonyPark likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,195 Posts
    R.I.P. Meadowlark.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Sweet Georgia Brown will always be synonymous with Meadow Lark and the Globetrotters!

http://<a href="https://www.youtube....q79iVVwJ1A</a>
    HydroHarold and farmgirl19 like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

12. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Many years ago, The Harlem Globetrotters used to come to our High School every 3 to 5 years or so for a sold out show.
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftaylor View Post
    Like Sulley stated; The globe Trotters used to come to our high school back in the late 60"s and Meadowlark was quite a hit along with the entire team.
    X3, Same here. Then it was the Harlem Wizards.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    04-24-2016 @ 09:59 AM
    Thanks
    Truly one of the greatest, think of all the goodwill he & his team brought to all of the world.

My parents bought me a red/white/blue basketball because I was so taken with the Harlem Globetrotters in elementary school.
    I did play for the school team a couple of seasons, but the school used those lame orange balls...
    (Basketball being the state religion of Indiana)
    Gizmo2 and HydroHarold like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast