If you think Microsoft can't sink any lower...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: If you think Microsoft can't sink any lower...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks

If you think Microsoft can't sink any lower...

Gizmo2, Old Cajun and johnH123 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spferdil For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (01-21-2016), johnH123 (01-20-2016), Levi (01-20-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,315 Times in 970 Posts
    Was wondering when they would start tightening the vise for real.
    Guess now I know.
    grnspot110, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Thanks
    As if we needed another reason to try one of the many linux distributions. With the recent discussions in the thread http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...tribution.html, I know I'll be taking a good long look at Mint for a laptop rebuild that's on the horizon.
    farmgirl19 and spferdil like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Sounds like I have 5 more years left till I'm computer free.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Relax, this isn't a new concept in the CPU/OS world. It's not that Win 10 is the only OS that will run on the new chipsets, it's just the only one "that's supported". That means that if you get a new processor, install Win7 on it, it may not run well and if you call MS for support, they won't support it. The same thing happened when Intel released the 64 bit Core2Duo, all those 16 bit DOS, Windows 95/98/ME users were left behind in the dust.

The story here is that as chips progress, the old architecture is not carried forward. Since the older OS doesn't know about the new chip design, it won't work unless the code is updated. MS has said that Win 10 is the last non server OS they will publish, from now on, there will just be "service branches" (service pack updates) that will update the OS to current hardware. Mac has done the same with iOS10.
    glc, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

9. Top | #6
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

Relax, this isn't a new concept in the CPU/OS world. It's not that Win 10 is the only OS that will run on the new chipsets, it's just the only one "that's supported". That means that if you get a new processor, install Win7 on it, it may not run well and if you call MS for support, they won't support it. The same thing happened when Intel released the 64 bit Core2Duo, all those 16 bit DOS, Windows 95/98/ME users were left behind in the dust.

The story here is that as chips progress, the old architecture is not carried forward. Since the older OS doesn't know about the new chip design, it won't work unless the code is updated. MS has said that Win 10 is the last non server OS they will publish, from now on, there will just be "service branches" (service pack updates) that will update the OS to current hardware. Mac has done the same with iOS10.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    +1

Actually, IMHO, if you are in the market for a "next gen" why would you want anything less than the latest OS anyway. Personally, now that I have it, I think Win 10 is awesome. I was a very skeptical "upgrader" from Win 7. Worried about what architecture we will be stuck with from here on out. Man, what a relief to see how little it's changed to the eye, but much more efficient under the hood.
    ddinham, Old Cajun and johnH123 like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,315 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^
    +1

Actually, IMHO, if you are in the market for a "next gen" why would you want anything less than the latest OS anyway. Personally, now that I have it, I think Win 10 is awesome. I was a very skeptical "upgrader" from Win 7. Worried about what architecture we will be stuck with from here on out. Man, what a relief to see how little it's changed to the eye, but much more efficient under the hood.
    Still don't like the feeling we're being "herded" by Microsoft in a heavy handed way.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^
    +1

Win 10 is great. I have been using it since it came out in late July. If you do not like the way it looks, you can download a free client at Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements to make it look like older Windows versions, but enjoy the benefits of the newest version. You just as well get used to it as you will no longer be able to buy the older versions and your PC will only last so long, before you have to replace it. This is not Win8, but a new versions where they have brought back the start menu. I still do part-time computer work and I only have one client who decided he wanted the old Windows look. All the others have been just fine with it, including some who will admit they are not computer literate. A little trick to help you along with the new version: right click on the start menu button and you will see all the old menu choices, such as Control Panel, etc. By the way, this also worked with Win 8.1. When I can't find something quick enough in the Win 10 systems menu, I use the right click method.

Dave
    glc likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Thanks
    I mentioned most of this in the Windows 10 Thread but it is worth mentioning again. All of our machines have been upgraded to Win10. I have been using it since early Beta releases on some virtual systems. Really it isn't that bad but the areas that I have seen the most complaints have to do with removed features like Media Player. Now there is no free player for DVD movies and ripping MP3s. Also there are privacy concerns. I mentioned that there is Spybot Anti-Beacon which is a great way of addressing any privacy issues.

My new home computer runs a i7-6700K which is a LGA 1151 socket Skylake processor so it is advised that I upgrade to Win10. I had installed Win10 on it anyhow when I built the PC and for any applications that need an older OS I run HyperV with either a Win 7 and a XP machine. With 32GB of RAM in the main machine, it doesn't even notice the VMs running.
    glc, Levi and johnH123 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Still don't like the feeling we're being "herded" by Microsoft in a heavy handed way.
    its all part of the plan, oc. if you want to know what that is, pm me and i'll tell you- i wouldnt want to scare anyone with a conspiracy theory!
    Gizmo2, Levi and Old Cajun like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com