Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Shoe Traction

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    02-24-2017 @ 03:27 PM
    Where the Deere and the antelope... pay MA taxes
    Thanks

Shoe Traction

I'm looking for opinions on ice/snow traction products for your feets. I've been trying out several offerings recently, see photo. Until now, I've been using various versions of the trusty YakTrax for several years. My only problem with them has been that they hack up the surface of anything they touch, such as the pedals and floorboard of a tractor . So, I've been poking around for something that either won't cause damage or that I can don and doff with reasonable ease.

The only style working so far are the yellow ones shown on the boots which are called "Ice Foot Big Claws". Since they sit back near the arch of the foot, they don't seem to touch the pedals and stay out of the way fairly well. But their life expectancy is probably short. The hook and loop straps are the stiff cheap stuff and the plastic probably won't last long. There have been quality complaints from internet reviewers.

All of the other items shown (except for the grey YakTrax) failed for one reason or another. Both of the single strap products work their way toward the front of the foot and fall off as you walk. Totally suck. Garbage. The heel cleat style (orange buckle) stays on the shoe, but your heels aren't on the ground as much as you think they would be so they don't offer a lot of confidence. Plus, they would wear on the tractor floorboard. All of these contenders have the stink of MIC cheapness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ice traction.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	292.1 KB 
ID:	120449

There are tons of these kinds of products on the market. What have you found that works?
    3720 Cab | 300CX FEL | 375 BH | Frontier AF11E-72 | and lots of Artillian Attachments

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    This is my first winter trying YakTrax and I love them - wonder why I waited so long to try them.

I bought a pair that was on clearance this past fall - just the plain "walk" style:

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk

Only a month of using them so far but can't see how they can cause any damage as they are just a spiral wire - nothing sharp about them.

Actually I didn't think they would work very well just for that reason but they are fantastic on ice.

In your pic those mostly look very agressive with sharp spikes. I'm not doing any mountain climbing - just trying to stay vertical in my driveway.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
    I'm looking for opinions on ice/snow traction products for your feets. I've been trying out several offerings recently, see photo.

Name:	ice traction.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	292.1 KB 
ID:	120449

There are tons of these kinds of products on the market. What have you found that works?
    Anything with plastic or thin rubber stretching or attachments will fail in no time. Those that appear cheap aren't worth the money to purchase as they will fail. I won't wear anything while on the tractor as I don't want to gouge up the pedals, floor boards and risk scraping up the paint. Mrs. Bear and I walk 1.5 miles every day, rain or snow. The most effective ones and ones which have lasted for over a season are the YakTraks brand.

Everything else we have tried was utter junk. Either the straps failed within the first couple times of use or they didn't accomplish any traction improvement. The ones which look like golf spikes sticking down are a joke as well. Within the first 100 yards of walking, everyone of the spikes fell out.

The Yaktrax Brand has been very reliable and work on a variety of surfaces. Before wearing these this past winter, my wife fell on the ice and broke her arm in two places and fractured four ribs so traction is the only way to walk now in the winter.

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk#
    coaltrain likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    02-24-2017 @ 03:27 PM
    Where the Deere and the antelope... pay MA taxes
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Only a month of using them so far but can't see how they can cause any damage as they are just a spiral wire - nothing sharp about them.
    They are hardened steel. Trust me, they will win over most anything they touch.
    3720 Cab | 300CX FEL | 375 BH | Frontier AF11E-72 | and lots of Artillian Attachments

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,396 Posts
    https://www.yaktrax.com/product/heeltrax

These are designed specifically for those who want to drive vehicles and operate pedals. Being the YakTrax brand, I would trust them as their other products have proven to be very reliable even with daily use.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,580 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Anything with plastic or thin rubber stretching or attachments will fail in no time. Those that appear cheap aren't worth the money to purchase as they will fail. I won't wear anything while on the tractor as I don't want to gouge up the pedals, floor boards and risk scraping up the paint. Mrs. Bear and I walk 1.5 miles every day, rain or snow. The most effective ones and ones which have lasted for over a season are the YakTraks brand.

Everything else we have tried was utter junk. Either the straps failed within the first couple times of use or they didn't accomplish any traction improvement. The ones which look like golf spikes sticking down are a joke as well. Within the first 100 yards of walking, everyone of the spikes fell out.

The Yaktrax Brand has been very reliable and work on a variety of surfaces. Before wearing these this past winter, my wife fell on the ice and broke her arm in two places and fractured four ribs so traction is the only way to walk now in the winter.

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk#

This makes my 5rd or 6th year for my yaktrax. I've had one piece of rubber break on mine in that time frame. Never take them off from the beginning of winter till the end of winter.
    I've driven my car ,not very far , driven the tractor , walked across my concrete bsmt floor, walked on wooden decks no marking of the floor.

In other word, LOVE THEM and I'll buy another set when these break.
    Walking down a steep driveway or a steep bank no problem.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Thanks
    why not take some small,thin (1/0), double- loop chain and wrap it around your boots?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...-loop-zinc-1-0
    Last edited by johnH123; 01-24-2016 at 04:22 PM.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,580 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    why not take some small,thin (1/0), double- loop chain and wrap it around your boots?

Koch Industries Double Loop, Zinc, 1/0 - For Life Out Here
    To big, I'm thinking even the #16 size they show might be to big .

For around $20.00 ,IMO you can't beat the yaktrax, not saying I would try another brand or any other style. They work,
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    I'll swim against the current here. I tried the Yak things and disliked them immediately and strongly, despite that I gave them a chance and learned to hate them. The coils left me "springing" when I stepped a sensation I immediately disliked, they felt squirmy under foot, a very uncomfortable feeling in slick snow and ice. I found their traction gains minimal at best and in some cases nonexistent. I tended to slip sideways with them as well.... After trying them for weeks I had enough and into a box they went.

These use the same type of web attachment system, have carbide spikes instead of walking on springs and work forward, sideways, backwards etc. I have had a pair for more than 5 years and have yet to break the webbing, wear down a spike or loose one out of the rubber, they come with spare spikes and are under $20.

Robot Check

They have a oversized version for boots too.

Robot Check
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to balrog006 For This Useful Post:

JustChris (01-25-2016)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    After going down a couple of times spreading ice melt on my paved driveway hill I purchased a pair of Stabilicers:

Name:	Stabilicers.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	120761

STABILicers Maxx Heavy Duty Snow & Ice Cleats | CozyWinters

They work great! Very sure footed now.
    dzldanz likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

HydroHarold (01-25-2016), JustChris (01-25-2016)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast