Funny Craigslist Situation I had this week..
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree402Likes

Thread: Funny Craigslist Situation I had this week..

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-02-2018 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks

Funny Craigslist Situation I had this week..

Cant get over the stupidity level of some people...

So I have a mower deck on Craigslist for sale.. $1700...

Guy contacts me Monday and offers $1500. I accepted to get rid of it..

He asks for my address. I send it along with my phone number.

He texted right back and asks if I can bring it 1-2 hrs towards him as hes 6 hrs away in Wisconsin..

I said I could bring it 2 hrs towards him but for $1600. I would have 4 hrs drive time and 200+ miles of fuel..

He seemed fine with that and said he would text me Wednesday and his dad would meet me Thursday.

Wednesday comes and goes as does Thursday..

Last night I remembered seeing a H130 loader on a dealers lot in Wisconsin on Machinefinder.. So I do some investigating and find it and text him this morning to see if hes still interested in the deck..

He says yes, and his dad was busy yesterday and if he could get it next week.. I ask where hes located and that Im looking at a loader in this other town.. Turns out the dealer is 2.5 hrs from him kinda outta my way. He wanted to meet at a town 34 miles from him, but added a hour to my trip to the dealer..

I texted him saying Id meet him there at that town but for $1700. Im saving him 6.5 hrs and 412 miles round trip for a extra $100!! Seamed fair to me..

Oh no he says.. $1500 is it and $50 for gas... Really dude?

I then texted him that he needs to think about that.. He said he can buy one up there for the same price.. Well then why was he willing to drive 8 hrs and 480 miles away to get one??

I then said Id still do the $1600 meeting him 2 hrs away (which I would be going thru that town on my way to the dealership anyway ) or he can come to my house and get it for $1500..

NO THANKS!!

Hes a fool! He would have anywhere from $1600-1650 total for deck and gas invested. Whats his or his dads time worth? I was saving him 6.5-10.5 hrs drive time, and up to 860 miles...

So breakdown for his end... ONE WAY! Double the time and miles for his round trip.

His place to me 6 hrs and 460 miles for $1500

His place to meeting place 2 hrs from me 4 hr and 240 miles for $1600

His place to town by him 45 mins and 34 miles for $1700..

Sooo.. Was I being unreasonable??

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    He is having his father do the travelling so likely isn't costing him anything.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Some people.
    etcallhome, NEWT, PaDave and 7 others like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Thanks
    People are crazy on there. There is a guy near me that has a 54" plow & QuickTach hitch setup on there. It's an older unit that he stripped down and repainted. His listed price is essentially the same as buying brand new from any Deere dealer.

And you see this all the time. I see sellers with stuff that is way over priced and then I've tried to sell stuff and buyers want to pay you less and then come up with all sorts of silly stuff.

I had a set of 4 OEM GMC wheels on there back in Sept/Oct for $200. I got an email from a woman asking all sort of questions. We went back and forth 15 or 16 times and then she finally sends me an email offering $100 *IF* I'll deliver them 50 miles away to her because her's husband's truck doesn't run so he can't come pick them up. Yeah, sorry to hear that. Gook luck. Buh-bye!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    Some people.
    Yea, some of your neighbors..

Lord I apologize......

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    People are crazy on there. There is a guy near me that has a 54" plow & QuickTach hitch setup on there. It's an older unit that he stripped down and repainted. His listed price is essentially the same as buying brand new from any Deere dealer.

And you see this all the time. I see sellers with stuff that is way over priced and then I've tried to sell stuff and buyers want to pay you less and then come up with all sorts of silly stuff.

I had a set of 4 OEM GMC wheels on there back in Sept/Oct for $200. I got an email from a woman asking all sort of questions. We went back and forth 15 or 16 times and then she finally sends me an email offering $100 *IF* I'll deliver them 50 miles away to her because her's husband's truck doesn't run so he can't come pick them up. Yeah, sorry to hear that. Gook luck. Buh-bye!
    If the truck dont run then she dont need the tires..

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Newt; naw- I don't think u was being unreasonable at all. I guess in todays society u would call him a scammer I think u was bending over backwards to meet his needs on top of urs.

yesterday I made my first buy off of craigslist. I haven't went down in the basement yet---to see or make sure the air is still in my new to me tires. some people u can't help no matter how hard u try. the only other thing I can say is--his loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,315 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWT View Post
    Cant get over the stupidity level of some people...

So I have a mower deck on Craigslist for sale.. $1700...

Guy contacts me Monday and offers $1500. I accepted to get rid of it..

He asks for my address. I send it along with my phone number.

He texted right back and asks if I can bring it 1-2 hrs towards him as hes 6 hrs away in Wisconsin..

I said I could bring it 2 hrs towards him but for $1600. I would have 4 hrs drive time and 200+ miles of fuel..

He seemed fine with that and said he would text me Wednesday and his dad would meet me Thursday.

Wednesday comes and goes as does Thursday..

Last night I remembered seeing a H130 loader on a dealers lot in Wisconsin on Machinefinder.. So I do some investigating and find it and text him this morning to see if hes still interested in the deck..

He says yes, and his dad was busy yesterday and if he could get it next week.. I ask where hes located and that Im looking at a loader in this other town.. Turns out the dealer is 2.5 hrs from him kinda outta my way. He wanted to meet at a town 34 miles from him, but added a hour to my trip to the dealer..

I texted him saying Id meet him there at that town but for $1700. Im saving him 6.5 hrs and 412 miles round trip for a extra $100!! Seamed fair to me..

Oh no he says.. $1500 is it and $50 for gas... Really dude?

I then texted him that he needs to think about that.. He said he can buy one up there for the same price.. Well then why was he willing to drive 8 hrs and 480 miles away to get one??

I then said Id still do the $1600 meeting him 2 hrs away (which I would be going thru that town on my way to the dealership anyway ) or he can come to my house and get it for $1500..

NO THANKS!!

Hes a fool! He would have anywhere from $1600-1650 total for deck and gas invested. Whats his or his dads time worth? I was saving him 6.5-10.5 hrs drive time, and up to 860 miles...

So breakdown for his end... ONE WAY! Double the time and miles for his round trip.

His place to me 6 hrs and 460 miles for $1500

His place to meeting place 2 hrs from me 4 hr and 240 miles for $1600

His place to town by him 45 mins and 34 miles for $1700..

Sooo.. Was I being unreasonable??
    Man, this reminds me of one of those convoluted questions they asked way back when in math class, I'm going to have to get
    my calculator out, open up a spread sheet, make some graphs....................................... never mind,
    you're right, you're being reasonable..................
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Wow... a funny Craigslist thread. This should be a fun read.

My experience #1: I listed an old antique 4-blade fan for $25 just to get it out of the basement. Guys calls, he is very interested but only if I can deliver for that price. He is about 50 miles from me!! That one was a NO.

Experience #2: Guy comes to look at a welding rod oven I had for sale for $75. He looks it over for a good 20-mins. Gave it a once over like he was buying a house. Finally digs out his wallet and says he only has $20. That one was also a NO.

I've sold a TON of stuff on Craigslist and it is great compared to the local classifieds but it is such a double-edged sword.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Now he just texted $1600 and thats it IF I come up that way..

I said he would have to meet me at the dealership I would go to.. 2.5 hrs from him..

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast