Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Cable TV program start / end times

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,599 Times in 1,216 Posts

Cable TV program start / end times

Ok... so this has been bugging me for a while. I don't watch much network TV but I do have quite a few cable programs that I record weekly on the DVR for later viewing. This has become increasingly difficult as apparently there is a movement to abandon the long standing on-the-hour and on-the-half-hour start/end times for programs.

We seem to routinely have programs starting at 9:01 and running to 9:31 or it will be listed on the channel Guide for 11pm yet the actual start time isn't until 11:21pm.

This wreaks havoc with the DVR scheduler as a program that runs 1-minute over will block the next recording that wants to start. It seems to be getting worse.

I know live programs and sporting events have always had a bit of margin in the end-time but does anyone know what is driving the abandonment of the long standing top-of-the-hour and 30-past-the-hour start / end times?

At least I got that off my chest. :-)
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    Just curious, what DVR/service do you have? We have DirecTV and I record many programs on the HD DVR and it seems to adjust perfectly. The other two non-HD DVR's are doing OK also I believe, but I don't watch them.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Just curious, what DVR/service do you have? We have DirecTV and I record many programs on the HD DVR and it seems to adjust perfectly. The other two non-HD DVR's are doing OK also I believe, but I don't watch them.
    I have a Explorer 8652HDC that's in the Blue Ridge Cable system. On a channel by channel basis the DVR does adjust. The problem is when you have back to back shows. I may have both tuners scheduled to record 9-10, 10-11. Which normally works fine. But if one of those first shows runs over to 10:02 and the next show starts at 10:00, then it becomes a conflict.
    BigJim55 and spferdil like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,060 Times in 2,225 Posts
    I've noticed some of this with starting/ending a couple minutes ahead or after lately. I actually had to go to the Tivo forums to find a setting that is available to help with this. Once this setting is enabled it will record the same showing at a later time - some channels like Discovery and History run episopes multiple times. It the Tivo can't find other eppisodes within a few hours of the regular showing it will then offer to clip the beginning of the second show by the amount of time that the previous showing runs over - or visa versa depending on the priority level you have each show set at.

Of course all of this could be cured with a 4 or 6 tuner Tivo unit but I have the last available one that works with analog cable and has only 2 tuners.
    HydroHarold and BigJim55 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I have a Explorer 8652HDC that's in the Blue Ridge Cable system. On a channel by channel basis the DVR does adjust. The problem is when you have back to back shows. I may have both tuners scheduled to record 9-10, 10-11. Which normally works fine. But if one of those first shows runs over to 10:02 and the next show starts at 10:00, then it becomes a conflict.
    That may be a difference from my Tivo unit - you set recordings by the show and not the time (while you can record by time if you want).
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    That may be a difference from my Tivo unit - you set recordings by the show and not the time (while you can record by time if you want).
    Mine operates the same way. Maybe I'm the only one having the problem. ;-)

Let me see if I can lay it out... my DVR has two tuners

When things are scheduled normally
    ----------------------------------------
    9:00-9:30 Record channel 5
    9:00-9:30 Record channel 6
    9:30-10:00 Record channel 7
    9:30-10:00 Record channel 10

In the above schedule if the channel 5 show suddenly runs 9:00-9:31 it will block one of the 9:30 shows from starting.

The overrun is not consistent. One week the show is listed as stopping at 9:30, the next week it might be 9:31 and the next 9:32 and then back to 9:30.

This only happens when you have both tuners busy and recording back to back programs. I've had a DVR of one type or another for over 10 YEARS and this was never a problem. But in the last year or two the program schedules have not been adhering to the HOUR and 30-Mins past the hours start/stop times.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Mine operates the same way. Maybe I'm the only one having the problem. ;-)

Let me see if I can lay it out... my DVR has two tuners

When things are scheduled normally
    ----------------------------------------
    9:00-9:30 Record channel 5
    9:00-9:30 Record channel 6
    9:30-10:00 Record channel 7
    9:30-10:00 Record channel 10

In the above schedule if the channel 5 show suddenly runs 9:00-9:31 it will block one of the 9:30 shows from starting.

The overrun is not consistent. One week the show is listed as stopping at 9:30, the next week it might be 9:31 and the next 9:32 and then back to 9:30.

This only happens when you have both tuners busy and recording back to back programs. I've had a DVR of one type or another for over 10 YEARS and this was never a problem. But in the last year or two the program schedules have not been adhering to the HOUR and 30-Mins past the hours start/stop times.
    Sounds exactly the same as setting up my Tivo. And I just started having the same problems you are describing a couple months ago.

Until I found that little hidden setting on mine it would do as you are saying yours does. Take a look in your settings - maybe you have something similar.

On mine it is in Settings > Recordings > Overlap Protection.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    On mine it is in Settings > Recordings > Overlap Protection.
    I do not have a global setting for this. I would have to adjust on a recording by recording basis which since the overlap changes each week it's not worth the effort.

What I've done for the programs that matter is simply change the time for the second shows to a manual entry in the wee hours when they repeat.

My main point in posting was to see if anyone knew the root cause for why they are messing with the schedule rules after 60+ years of television.

It's certainly not by accident.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    I'm sure it's because of us that record and fast forward through the commercials

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    HydroHarold and spferdil like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I've got Directv and their 5 channel DVR AND I'm beginning to get the same problem as the OP. One problem is that some channels like Discover, etc. now sport a short "News" segment between programs which blows the settings out on the next program. One "could" go to the "Manage Recordings" and change the start/finish times, but you would have to know which programs are going to be time shifted.

I WILL NOT, NEVER EVER WATCH ANOTHER COMMERCIAL IF I CAN AVOID THEM!!!!! NEVER! "Record", "Play", "Fast forward commercials" is my MANTRA-ooouuuummmm! Take that Madison Avenue I've beaten you with my FFW calloused index finger! I hope all those medical and lawyer smartass ad men wind up in the ER with that "4 hour problem"!
    coaltrain likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast