Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: I'm Boycotting Home Depot

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks

I'm Boycotting Home Depot

Bottom line, Home Depot is no longer honoring the 5% competitive Lowes discount.

As most know, Lowes offers 5% off everyday when you use a Lowes credit card. For years, Home Depot matched that discount when you use a Home Depot credit card and show your Lowes card at checkout. Well, I just found out that HD is no longer honoring that price match, and I confirmed that it is corporate wide. HD did say that they are still offering the 10% military discount.

When I was shopping at HD recently, the checkout person told me that the 5% Lowes discount was no more. When I asked, she said that was because "Lowes was discontinuing the 5% off every day too". Well, I also checked with Lowes, and there was no truth to that.

The only reason I have a HD credit card is to get the 5% discount. In addition, there is a HD about 1/2 mile from my work that I pass every work day. My closest Lowes is about 20 minutes away from home, in the opposite direction from work, so it's not as convenient. Looks like Lowes will become my home center of choice.

I do try to buy local mom and pop, but you really can't beat the convenience of the big home centers for variety and price.

I called HD and submitted my official complaint, the woman was really nice and understood, she also told me that there have been numerous similar complaints since the change. So I am not alone.

Thanks for letting me vent.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pappa and 9 others like this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    Bottom line,

The only reason I have a HD credit card is to get the 5% discount. In addition, there is a HD about 1/2 mile from my work that I pass every work day. My closest Lowes is about 20 minutes away from home, in the opposite direction from work, so it's not as convenient. Looks like Lowes will become my home center of choice.

Thanks for letting me vent.
    I see you have the HD card,,,

So, were you previously able to double dip,, 5% HD, and 5% Lowes,,, or what??

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I see you have the HD card,,,

So, were you previously able to double dip,, 5% HD, and 5% Lowes,,, or what??
    IIRC when you apply for the HD card, you only get a discount on the first purchase. After that, you may qualify for some 0% interest on large purchases, but no "everyday" discount. It just became a regular store charge card with occasional perks. HD only gave you 5% off if you showed that you had a Lowes charge card too.

Most all credit cards don't allow you to combine discounts, so no double dipping, just able to match the Lowes 5%. Interesting, was that the HD match was ONLY if you charged on a HD card, just like at Lowes, where you have to use the Lowes charge card. I found that out when I requested the matching discount on an AMEX card, no go. They said "it had to be the same discount"... must have both Lowes card and HD card.

It was good while it lasted. Saved 5% on a Honda EU2000i a couple of months ago, even though I had to pay sales tax, I was able to load it in my trunk and not worry about shipping damage.

BTW, the HD customer service woman chuckled when I said it was interesting that HD didn't announce that they were discontinuing the Lowes match.
    Levi likes this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks
    Start photo copying your Lowes receipts and sending them to HD with a note "look what I bought at Lowes since you dropped the 5% match for using my HD credit card."
    Tomfive, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    I don't much from them since they wanted to see my ID for me to buy spray paint from them, I was in my upper 50's at the time!

I do go into HD to kill time while the wife is in Michael's craft store, just don't buy much!
    rtgt, Levi, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

8. Top | #6
    JKR
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Thanks
    5% that would never stop me from buying something I need.
    coaltrain likes this.
    3033R, HST, 3SVC, 60" heavy bucket with replaceable blade, H165 loader, Trans and engine heater, 60" tow behind mower.
    hydraulic top link, Line kit, 72" hydraulic power angle plow, JD pallet forks, 60" box blade, 60" scraper,
    72" rear rake, Homemade rock bucket, Post hole digger.Piranha Tooth Bar, Ballast box, rear chains,

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    Agree , lots of time I even forget I have the Lowes card to get the 5% off. .just because I usually pay cash.
    coaltrain likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-21-2019 @ 09:40 AM
    Thanks
    We have menards in the Midwest. The have 11 percent off sales Home Depot matches them.
    Zebrafive and rtgt like this.
    New JD 2032R 72MMM H130 Loader Kens hooks Frontier box blade Frontier forks ballast box old stuff LX4 brush hog JD tiller and landscape rake fertilizer spreader and fimco sprayer speco phd

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Agree , lots of time I even forget I have the Lowes card to get the 5% off. .just because I usually pay cash.
    Yeah, 5% is not a lot, but it's the principle of price matching. And maybe "it's only 5%", but hey, it's much better than 0% and to me a discount is a discount. For a $100 item, I'd rather pay $95 than the full price.

I mentioned that I bought a Honda EU2000i recently from HD, the price was $899, and everywhere I checked, whether it be online or in stores, they all sell for the same price (something that Honda controls, I'm pretty sure). Well that was a $45 savings. If that's not a big savings, then I'll invite all who disagree to send me a check for $45 (I'll PM my address or give you my paypal account) Just kidding.

And if I really need something, I'll agree, not getting the 5% wouldn't stop me from buying it. Matter of fact, I've paid more for somethings I NEEDED to stores that had the item in stock ... just because I REALLY NEEDED IT right then and there.

Just my 2 cents on principles.
    Zebrafive and Levi like this.
    Tom

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Thanks
    This is interesting because I'm pretty sure HD still has the policy of beating a quote by 10%. Not sure why the Lowes 5% discount would be different...?
    2012 1023E, 60d MMM, H120 Loader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast