Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: concealed carry weapon recommendations

1. Top | #1
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks

concealed carry weapon recommendations

This is probably going to be long... so please bear with me.

I just got a call from my cousin in Del Rio ,Texas (border town) ,that is a policeman there,about my dad.
    First a little background:

My dad started off working as a Texas Highway Patrolman,then moved into Border Patrol ,and finally retired after many years as a US Customs Agent (not inspector). He was always very strict and had a very short flattop type hairstyle....he gave me heck if I tried to grow long hair back in the sixties.(picture drill sergeant type). His 2nd wife died around 10 years ago and he remarried a mexican lady a year later. He is 500 miles away,so we dont have very much contact. He has altheimers and his memory is very bad.His wife does not communicate with me and I'm not sure why. No bad feelings are anything that I know of...I hardly know her but she seems like very nice lady.

My cousin has told me that my dad had to be hospitalized over the weekend with very high blood pressure 204/200. They did tests and didnt find anything wrong....but its a border town and the hospitals suck.Cousin/policeman (Billy)also told me alot more that was going on too. Seems my dads wife (Mary) grandchildren have been at their house alot and taking advantage of them...getting money etc. Most of them are in mexican gangs. And if you read the news , you can guess they are bad news....members of the zetas, the most ruthless gang in mexico. Also, my dad is not being taken care of. He is probably not getting his medication,being fed really high cholesterol food...and to top it off, Billy said my dads hair was down past his shoulders.He's not being taken care off. Talking to my dad over the phone does not reveal any of this and I had no idea this was going on.

Early in the morning, my wife and I are going there to see whats going on . Billy said I need to come unannounced. I do not know what I may walk into and I need a more concealable weapon. I know the grandkids (20-35 yrs old) are going to be territorial and look at me as trying to stop their mealticket,etc.I dont have time to do any research and I was hoping to get some feedback from my compadres here. What do you recommend? Thanks
    Randy
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    That's a terrible situation. I'm really sorry to hear that....

If you're looking for a little friend, I highly recommend my little buddy, the Taurus Slim.

Taurus PT709 Slim
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343873180.662083.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	10292

If there's anything I can do to help you Randy, don't hesitate to let me know.

Sent using Tapatalk.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgd View Post
    Early in the morning, my wife and I are going there to see whats going on . Billy said I need to come unannounced. I do not know what I may walk into and I need a more concealable weapon. I dont have time to do any research and I was hoping to get some feedback from my compadres here. So to make a short story long...what do you recommend? Thanks
    Randy
    A S&W J frame can be concealed easily, but it's only 5 rounds. It's my go-to choice most of the time because I can slip in into a pants pocket (in a pocket holster) and it disappears. There are downsides to carrying that way, though. Just like downsides to any method of carry. The J frames are easy to find in about any gunshop, super simple to operate and don't really need any special break in. Hundreds of thousands of people conceal Glock 19s and full size 1911s on a daily basis. With the right holster and manner of dress, most handguns can be concealed. Are you going out to purchase a brand new handgun just for this trip? Keep in mind if you do you'll need a holster, ammunition, and most semi auto handguns need a break in period of about 500 rounds. The Glock 19, while not my favorite gun, is built like a tank and incredibly common. About every gun shop should have one, and at least a couple of holsters on the shelf.

I understand that you have to go, but if things are expected to be that bad then you might want to see if you could have local law enforcement on hand. Carry whatever you usually carry and are comfortable with, it'll be one less thing you have to worry about. Sounds like y'all have enough on your plate as it is. If there's anything we can do, just say the word!
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    For that scenario, I'd look at a minimum of a .40 caliber Glock and would feel more comfortable with a M1911 in .45 auto.

Extra magazines for whatever you choose would be required.

Remember, life is cheap to that bunch of hooligans . . . not sure I'd want to go there under any circumstances.

Good luck if you do find it necessary to make the trip . . .
    Ralph T
    Benefactor Member NRA

==============================================

JD 2038R w/Rimguard loaded R4 tires, wheel spacers, LED lights, fender extensions, IMatch, Heavy Hitch, 8-42 lb suitcase weights, Frontier middle buster.

220R FEL with 57" materials bucket, Heavy Hitch tooth bar & Hitch'N Can, KBOH hooks, clevises & receiver hitch.

EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple

JD Z960M with Tweels, Suspension Seat, Advanced Chute System, Hitch

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-24-2013 @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks
    That's a tough situation. No way that you could have him moved to a hospital closer to you is there? Of course that might not be good to have them know where you live either.
    2005 Deere 110 TLB - 3rd function loader, 3 rear remotes, thumb, top n tilt
    2000 Deere 5410 - 541 SL loader, 2 rear remotes, canopy
    2005 Deere Diesel HPX Gator - homemade cab, snow plow, hydraulic dump
    1953 Farmall Cub - front plow
    1984 Ford F8000 - Cat 3208 Diesel, 5+2 transmission, 8 yard dump
    2006 GMC 4500 Topkick Pickup outfitted by Monroe Truck

Everyone has a fair turn to be as great as he pleases - Jeremy Collier

8. Top | #6
    rgd
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Actually, my dad is out of the hospital. His blood pressure went down and they sent him home. They did a couple of tests and didnt find anything so....But,I was told he has had 2 episodes like this in the last 2 weeks....both times going to the hospital. There has got to be something wong though. My daughter that is a nurse said with 204/200 blood pressure...he's lucky to be alive. So yes, we are going to get him to a better hospital....probably San Antonio for now.
    Thanks all for the recommendations....I will monitor this thread and will probably stop in Austin to purchase the gun. I'll find a gun range to shoot some rounds through it as well
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

9. Top | #7
    rgd
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    A S&W J frame can be concealed easily, but it's only 5 rounds. It's my go-to choice most of the time because I can slip in into a pants pocket (in a pocket holster) and it disappears. There are downsides to carrying that way, though. Just like downsides to any method of carry. The J frames are easy to find in about any gunshop, super simple to operate and don't really need any special break in. Hundreds of thousands of people conceal Glock 19s and full size 1911s on a daily basis. With the right holster and manner of dress, most handguns can be concealed. Are you going out to purchase a brand new handgun just for this trip? Keep in mind if you do you'll need a holster, ammunition, and most semi auto handguns need a break in period of about 500 rounds. The Glock 19, while not my favorite gun, is built like a tank and incredibly common. About every gun shop should have one, and at least a couple of holsters on the shelf.

I understand that you have to go, but if things are expected to be that bad then you might want to see if you could have local law enforcement on hand. Carry whatever you usually carry and are comfortable with, it'll be one less thing you have to worry about. Sounds like y'all have enough on your plate as it is. If there's anything we can do, just say the word!
    Thanks, I will have either my cousin or one of his officers close. I dont want to put them on the defensive right off by having the police go in with me initially.Hopefully, this is all for naught and there wont be anyone but my dad and his wife there...but chances of that are slim according to Billy. I am trying to think this though tho...so any input in that regard will be appreciated as well. I have been in touch with elder abuse division arm of the gov. and had some good feedback
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Will be praying for you and about the situation. I hope thinks work out for you and you won't need a gun but you just never know.
    Good luck and may God Bless.

Here's my choice: http://www.fourguysguns.com/blog/sup...ger-lc9-review
    Last edited by Uncle Wayne; 08-02-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: added link
    Wayne
    2013 JD 4520 CUT with 400X FEL
    1942 LA John Deere
    1910 John Deere Freight Wagon (restored)
    1946 John Deere Series 300 two disk plow

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,090 Times in 2,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgd View Post
    Thanks all for the recommendations....I will monitor this thread and will probably stop in Austin to purchase the gun. I'll find a gun range to shoot some rounds through it as well
    There is no waiting period?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wayne View Post
    Will be praying for you and about the situation. I hope thinks work out for you and you won't need a gun but you just never know.
    Good luck and may God Bless.

Here's my choice: Ruger LC9 Review | Four Guys Guns
    Thanks Uncle Wayne! Now my wife's mad at me. She knows I like that new pistol from Ruger you posted a link to....
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast