Like Tree1031Likes

Thread: Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video finds

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts

Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video finds

I've been meaning to start a thread like this for some time. As much as I hate to admit it since I have so much chair time the past few years I started watching some TV for the first time in my life. I hate commercial television but use a Tivo unit to record some shows I like and fast forward through the commercials.

I discovered Netfix ~2 years ago and it has been great for me. I will usually watch something in the evening. While my favorite pastime is reading after 3-4 hours a day I need something different.

Through other threads a good show on Netflix has been mentioned which I picked up on and really enjoyed. I'm also impressed by some of the Netflix original productions.

To keep it simple I'll just start with one show here - will add some of my other favorites as we go along -

House of Cards

Season 4 is to be released Friday March 4th.

I found this show interesting and entertaining. I have no clue how our political system works. I know it is a work of fiction but can see how some of the things depicted in the show can actually go on.
    Last edited by RandyM; 11-09-2016 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Title change per OP
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (02-27-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    "Narcos" is a really good Netflix show.
    BigJim55, coaltrain and flyweight like this.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Thanks
    I like to binge watch series netflix when I have time and find something that piques an interest. Lately though, it seems that I'm having a hard time finding the right series/show so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Here's the netflix links to series I've enjoyed. Be fore-warned, these series have their fair share of gore...

Dexter - Mild-mannered Dexter Morgan works for the police department as a blood-splatter analyst but moonlights as a vigilante murderer who only targets other killers, implementing a moral code instilled in him by his adoptive father.

Sons of Anarchy - After seizing control of its town, gun-running motorcycle club the Sons of Anarchy soon butts heads with rival biker gangs, racist groups and the law. Meanwhile, young Jax Teller finds himself torn between protecting his son and loyalty to his gang.

Orange is the new Black - A heartbreaking and hilarious series set in a women's prison. Piper trades her comfortable life for an orange jumpsuit and finds unexpected conflict and camaraderie amidst an eccentric group of inmates.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 56Nine For This Useful Post:

kjmk (09-16-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 957 Posts
    We have been pleased with Netflix since cutting Directv out of our life a year ago. It has proven what we had always thought...we just don't watch much TV. I would also much rather pay $8.99 per month rather than $100!

With that being said, I am more of a 1/2 hour comedy and documentary guy. I really enjoyed the Intimate Portrait of the Roosevelts series on Netflix. Just to warn you, it is 7, 2 hour episodes. I finished it a couple weeks ago, just before we visited FDR's Little White House in Warm Springs, GA.

Great thread CT, thanks
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I just started watching Narcos. Again even though it is fiction I like the history of it. It is a portrayal of the Colombian drug cartel in the 1980's. The only thing that bothers me is 1/2 the show is spoken in Spanish with sub-titles - they go so fast when I am done reading the line I don't have a chance to view the scene.

I also enjoyed Sons of Anarchy.

My all time favorite so far since having Netfix is Bloodline. It's about 2 generations of a families who owns a high end Bed & Breakfast in the Florida Keys. Deep family relationships and some murder thrown in. The scenery throughout the show is stunning. This one really kept my interest.
    bhill, BigJim55 and flyweight like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    We watch a lot of TV, have DirecTv and an antenna for locals. Usually get enough blood and gore from those so we like Netflix mainly for comic relief (or just relief). I love comedy, even slapstick, so like some of the old TV sit-coms now on Netflix. Such as 3rd Rock From the Sun, Mash, and Cheers. And something that surprised me, we got hooked on the PBS Masterpiece show Downton Abbey from watching the first couple of years of it on Netflix, altho I see now it is only available from them on DVD. The final season is on now on PBS.

Amazing sometimes what you can find on Netflix. And they are by far the best bargain in my opinion. I tried Amazon's free trial of Prime and I couldn't find anything of theirs I wanted to watch, and I don't order much from them 'cause they won't take PayPal, so I canceled it before the trial was even up.
    BigJim55, coaltrain and Marlin like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    About a month ago we discovered "RE-Binge Watching", watching a series for the second time.
    Breaking Bad was fun to Re-Binge,,, , there was a LOT we missed the first time.

We found the beginning if Justified was completely different than the was the series ended.

In a couple years,,, we will be able to Re-Binge Better Call Saul,,,,
    BigJim55, coaltrain and 56Nine like this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I like the older stuff also. We are currently working through House from the beginning and really enjoying it. Also have Prison Break queued up when we are done with that.

Another which we will watch again since the last of it will air this year is Hell on Wheels - just loved that show.

And Longmire- I was happy to see Netflix pick it up when (....?) abandoned it - I think the last season that Netflix produced was better than the rest.

Breaking Bad was just awesome - will probably wait a year or so to re-watch that.

We don't "binge watch" (had to look that up...) - only one episode at a time for a show usually every other day. I like to absorb a show and reflect on it like I do a chapter of a book.
    ColonyPark, BigJim55 and spferdil like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-20-2018 @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    I'm in the boat with you, ColonyPark. Not much TV time here. Favorite documentary in last few years, I'll Be Me. About Glen Campbell and his family journey with dementia. I was almost dreading it since it is a significant part of what I do at work but realize my family hadn't seen a dementia patient's slide firsthand as I do. They all thought it was sad but a great film. I found the funny in it and was amazed by Campbell's ability to play his guitar or banjo as well as ever even though he couldn't remember his daughter's name. A good one for sure.
    Jen

ZTrack Z915B
    2016 4052R with H165 loader
    iMatch hitch, Frontier box scrape, 6' disc harrow, 4' alternating tine aerator
    55 gal sprayer

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stablenickers View Post
    I'm in the boat with you, ColonyPark. Not much TV time here. Favorite documentary in last few years, I'll Be Me. About Glen Campbell and his family journey with dementia. I was almost dreading it since it is a significant part of what I do at work but realize my family hadn't seen a dementia patient's slide firsthand as I do. They all thought it was sad but a great film. I found the funny in it and was amazed by Campbell's ability to play his guitar or banjo as well as ever even though he couldn't remember his daughter's name. A good one for sure.
    Thanks, I will have to look into that one. I have a Grandmother who Mrs. CP and I watched slide into her own "happy little world" through dementia and Alzheimer's first hand as her caregivers. Definitely would hit home.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast