• 2 Post By H-D dealer dude
  • 3 Post By mark02tj

Thread: Busy season..

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Thanks

Busy season..

Busy season has begun at the Ole Deere shop. We ran fall, winter specials. Some regular takers. Free pick up and delivery, or free service call to service mower. A lot of, well I'll wait people. Now,.. It's game on. Most are people that were called and received the flyer. Special has ended. They still ask for the month old special. We give them the special rate as a courtesy. We had a slow January and February. Then they ask how long will it be? Well we are a week out.. Wow.. Talk about pizzed! Happens every year tho. Oh yes.. Then there's all the rest of the exploded, non maintained, ain't been run in 5 year stuff, that they need now. I love it! $$$

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    That's one of the things that has kept me from jumping over to ag full time. I know the guys at my local dealer work 80+ hours a weak during planting and harvest seasons, and even then they're ~2 weeks out on anything other than an emergency field call.

I also appreciate the fact that most of my customers are businesses. Still get the occasional headache, but nothing like a 'retail' shop.
    rtgt, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    That's one of the things that has kept me from jumping over to ag full time. I know the guys at my local dealer work 80+ hours a weak during planting and harvest seasons, and even then they're ~2 weeks out on anything other than an emergency field call.

I also appreciate the fact that most of my customers are businesses. Still get the occasional headache, but nothing like a 'retail' shop.
    Most of my post military career has been heavy stuff, mostly for national rental companies. All on the road. I loved it. I'm mostly Turf and utility shop rat now a days. But... I still get called up on skid steers, CUT's ect. Never out of work! I do miss the old days tho.. Running my service truck dawn to dusk and beyond.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    56FordGuy, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    I'm in the motorcycle business and feel your pain. It's been a madhouse this week since the weather got warm. Bikers procrastinate just like your business. We also had our hours cut over the winter due to lack of work. 2 of the techs that got laid off are back now. Even with being short staffed & busy as hell the owner still won't allow any overtime.
    rtgt and Levi like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 AM
    Thanks
    In high school and college I was a lawn mower / garden tractor mechanic. Same deal - no one would take advantage of our "Winter tune-up and storage" special but they'd all show up on the first nice weekend. Sometimes we'd be 3-4 weeks out!! People would complain and the usual (but polite) answer was "where were you in January when we had nothing to do?". We had a fairly simple queue system (numbered tags on the mowers, corresponding to the service ticket - hung in order on a clothes line in the shop! ) so when someone would call we could at least say "there are still 6 mowers ahead of you".

Do you have a sign in your shop that says "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"?

After I got my accounting degree I went to work in public accounting. That meant TAX PREPARATION! ANOTHER seasonal business! You'd shove 70% of your income into a 3 month period. I sold my tax practice back in '98 to try and get away from that.
    56FordGuy, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements