Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: Remember Slow Food?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks

Remember Slow Food?

A friend who enjoys making me feel old sent this to me, and it worked...

A young person asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?"

"We didn"t have fast food when I was growing up" I informed him.

"All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'at Home'", I explained.

"Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer.

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 19 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie'. When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It"s still the best pizza I ever had.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers--my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6 AM every morning.

On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren

Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to spferdil For This Useful Post:

5304 (03-13-2016), BigJim55 (03-12-2016), farmeratheart (03-12-2016), grnspot110 (03-11-2016), Jeff R. (03-11-2016), SulleyBear (03-12-2016), Tomfive (03-11-2016), tommyhawk (03-11-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:37 AM
    Thanks
    In addition to most of those, we had a forerunner to 'fast food'. A&W Rootbeer Drive Inn. They would bring the food and big mugs of Rootbeer on tray that would hang off the rolled down window glass. Best burgers ever!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rope_Chucker For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (03-12-2016), SulleyBear (03-12-2016), tommyhawk (03-11-2016)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rope_Chucker View Post
    In addition to most of those, we had a forerunner to 'fast food'. A&W Rootbeer Drive Inn. They would bring the food and big mugs of Rootbeer on tray that would hang off the rolled down window glass. Best burgers ever!

AND, it was considered a treat.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,580 Posts
    When I was 8-10 yrs old the first Golden Arches )McDonalds came to Uniontown, you walk up to outside window , watched your food being made. Then in 1967 the first Big Mac was made in the Uniontown, McDonalds.

We also had drive-in movies. Dad would crank his window up just a little so he could put the speaker inside the car and we could hear the movie. All the other windows rolled down if it was summer , remember air conditioner only worked driving at 35 and above and all the windows down.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,943 Times in 2,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    When I was 8-10 yrs old the first Golden Arches )McDonalds came to Uniontown, you walk up to outside window , watched your food being made. Then in 1967 the first Big Mac was made in the Uniontown, McDonalds.

We also had drive-in movies. Dad would crank his window up just a little so he could put the speaker inside the car and we could hear the movie. All the other windows rolled down if it was summer , remember air conditioner only worked driving at 35 and above and all the windows down.
    Dad would take us to the drive-in in the pickup truck. Us four kids would ride in the back to the drive-in, dad would park the truck with the rear facing the screen and we would all sit in the back to watch the movie. We took our own snacks, usually saltine crackers.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #6
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Thanks
    A very cool thread. I remember all stated above and especially the drive in. There were times during the movies that were adult times and we were made to lay down in the back seat and not watch those parts (what could have been so bad watching the "carpet baggers"?)! We moved to Sturbridge when I was 14 and we lived on Cedar Lake. There was the Sturbridge drive in at the end of the lake where now resides a Sheraton Hotel. We used to get in the boat and either row or use the 4 horse McCulloch motor and head to the drive in after you picked up your friends, spread a blanket and watched the movies.. That was great, kids to day will never know that feeling.. We still have two drive ins around our area. The Leicester Drive in with three screens and the Oxford Drive in with two screens.. Not the same though, Kids fighting all the time and disrupting the movie putting their lights on and such, stereo on your radio not a speaker you put in the window, (those are considered antiques now). I do remember the first McDonalds which was in Webster Ma. As Randy stated, when we went to the A&W root beer drive in it was a treat. The root beer used to come in megaphone styled container I guess to use at the ballpark or killing our parents from the back seat of the car! Our McDonalds didn't open until I was 17 years old and it was a drive to get to the place. We had a transistor radio hanging from the rear view mirror in the Sunbeam too. As stated my bike was a heavy unit and it had the one speed and a Bendix brake! My dad built the bike from parts he found at the dump! No dumps any more all transfer stations. I remember dad bringing his 22 to the dump to shoot rats too. That was actually fun as we did the same when we got older only at night. The dumps used to burn and you could see the rats running in front of the flames. PING. When we were invited to eat over a friends house it was a privilege to be allowed to do so. And you minded your manners too. I hated peas when I was a kid and there was no way I could leave the table until I ate every last one of them, so I was always the last one to get up after swallowing them with our delivered milk. Dad was a very tough father a Navy Man, you didn't talk at the table unless he talked to you and you didn't dare ask for anything, it was offered to you. Anyway, nice to have nostalgic threads every once in a while . I truly enjoyed reading all the above.. I for one am glad I grew up during those years, just glad all the marks from the belts on the a$$ didn't stay forever! Thanks for the thread
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dad would take us to the drive-in in the pickup truck. Us four kids would ride in the back to the drive-in, dad would park the truck with the rear facing the screen and we would all sit in the back to watch the movie. We took our own snacks, usually saltine crackers.
    good times for sure. Dad would get a ticket nowadays or get turned over to CPS for having the kids in the back. That's progress?
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Thanks
    First fast food I can remember going to as a kid was White Castle. Waitresses came up to the car, took your order, then relayed that to the kitchen via speaker boxes scattered around the periphery of the parking lot. I remember the little magnet on a chain around their necks that they placed on the speaker box to activate it before they read the order. (always wanted one of those little magnets ... ) Burgers were 9 cents then jumped to 12 cents. Order came in a tray that hooked onto the door window. Mickey D's and Big K's hadn't come into the area yet, BTW, I grew up in NYC.

The other fast food available was Chicken Delight. That chain came and went before KFC showed up.

And there was pizza, good ole NYC pizza. 19 cents a slice.

Of course there was always good home cooking by Mom. Fast food was OK, but Mom's cooking was the best.

Good memories, thanks to the OP for starting this thread.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    White Castle! Oh man.....on a very rare occasion that I had to stay with my Grandmother who lived in a city somewhere burried in the bowels of New Jersey I remember her me taking there and what a long walk it was. I was facinated.

In my last 6 months of hauling mail I finally got the opportunity to switch runs and do the Ohio end. The first thing that came to my mind was White Castle since they seem to be plentiful in southern Ohio. But to me dismay there were none near enough in Columbus that I could take my truck to on my 10 hour rest period after sleeping. Plus the thought of going anywhere on purpose in all that traffic.....

As was said above - A&W was a real treat. Got to go there once a month.

As I said in another thead - it amazes me how people can afford to eat out all the time. Twice a month we bring a Pizza home after out grocery run and that is really a treat for us!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-20-2018 @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    Loved the A&W! Now I'm craving root beer!

When I was a squirt, my gram would on rare occasion roll 25 mi into town, drive through the only McDonalds drive thru I'd ever seen (arches from front of building to back..totally a classic) and we would share a small fry and each have a fountain Coke. That was a treat.
    Jen

ZTrack Z915B
    2016 4052R with H165 loader
    iMatch hitch, Frontier box scrape, 6' disc harrow, 4' alternating tine aerator
    55 gal sprayer

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast