Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Contest's: Should we bother?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts

Contest's: Should we bother?

So, What kind of contest would be good? We have other stuff to give away, but it's getting painful to organize and promote these things and get such a low turnout.

With every contest, we hope to draw some new members to post or some lurkers to join and post-while at the same time offering something free, and of real value to our membership.

Are contest's that bad of an idea? Should we even bother with any more?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,443 Posts
    Kenny:

The contests have had great prizes and those who responded have been great. I wish I could suggest something, but my brain just isn't creative. It is good that I didn't have to make a living in advertising.

The staff has done a great job on the contests and running the forum in general. This is the first and only one that I have been on and reading posts is one of the highlights of my day.

Thanks to all of you for the good work,
    Don
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-24-2013 @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    So, What kind of contest would be good? We have other stuff to give away, but it's getting painful to organize and promote these things and get such a low turnout.

With every contest, we hope to draw some new members to post or some lurkers to join and post-while at the same time offering something free, and of real value to our membership.

Are contest's that bad of an idea? Should we even bother with any more?
    I thought this would be brought up. I like the contests, and think they're cool, but it doesn't seem like they spark the interest for some reason. I remember seeing a giveaway for a less expensive item on Workshop Addict that drew a lot more posts - and it's a lot smaller site! At the current rate, I don't see how they are feasible any longer, but I'd sure hate to see them go!
    2005 Deere 110 TLB - 3rd function loader, 3 rear remotes, thumb, top n tilt
    2000 Deere 5410 - 541 SL loader, 2 rear remotes, canopy
    2005 Deere Diesel HPX Gator - homemade cab, snow plow, hydraulic dump
    1953 Farmall Cub - front plow
    1984 Ford F8000 - Cat 3208 Diesel, 5+2 transmission, 8 yard dump
    2006 GMC 4500 Topkick Pickup outfitted by Monroe Truck

Everyone has a fair turn to be as great as he pleases - Jeremy Collier

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Kenny,

Is there any other venues to get the word out about GTT? How do most people get here now, via a search engine link? That is how I found my way here. There are a few vintage tractor sites as well as the Weekend Freedom Machines site, do they care if you do a little promoting there (maybe some cross-promotion)? I'm thinking the concentration here is newer machines, so it isn't like there is a big competition between sites discussing 50-year-old Deere stuff and 10-year-old stuff.

On the contests, I think they're a great idea. It gets me thinking about projects and trying to find old photos I have backed up all over. I've seen some other sites with things like "Best Photo Caption" contests, "Best Winter Photo", "Best Funny Photo", best story, etc. Other than pictures of things, videos of things, and stories, there isn't a lot more you can do online. It would be cool to have a GTT gathering, but I see posts here from all over North America and a few from Europe.

Maybe go to a contest every two months, and promote it more heavily the second month of the contest?

Maybe all of this discussion should be a separate thread?
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    Kenny,

Is there any other venues to get the word out about GTT? How do most people get here now, via a search engine link? That is how I found my way here. There are a few vintage tractor sites as well as the Weekend Freedom Machines site, do they care if you do a little promoting there (maybe some cross-promotion)? I'm thinking the concentration here is newer machines, so it isn't like there is a big competition between sites discussing 50-year-old Deere stuff and 10-year-old stuff.

On the contests, I think they're a great idea. It gets me thinking about projects and trying to find old photos I have backed up all over. I've seen some other sites with things like "Best Photo Caption" contests, "Best Winter Photo", "Best Funny Photo", best story, etc. Other than pictures of things, videos of things, and stories, there isn't a lot more you can do online. It would be cool to have a GTT gathering, but I see posts here from all over North America and a few from Europe.

Maybe go to a contest every two months, and promote it more heavily the second month of the contest?

Or topic!
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks

OK, You asked for it!

I made this it's own thread.

The facts:
    The GTT Staff works hard to get acquire the prizes from vendors, and we discuss how to give them away. We try to keep it simple and fun so as to get lot's of participation from lurkers who we hope will join, new(er) members, as well as the old-timers who have been with us all along this journey. It is VERY discouraging for us to have such poor participation (entrants) in a contest, and even MORE discouraging when we can even get a simple vote for those who do take the time and exert the effort to enter in the contest.
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

pcabe5 (08-29-2012)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    I thought this would be brought up. I like the contests, and think they're cool, but it doesn't seem like they spark the interest for some reason. I remember seeing a giveaway for a less expensive item on Workshop Addict that drew a lot more posts - and it's a lot smaller site! At the current rate, I don't see how they are feasible any longer, but I'd sure hate to see them go!
    The WA give-away was heavily promoted on FaceBook by both Brian and John (Tugnut). Most of the participation there was one post wonders that have registerd just to make one post to enter. Apperantly there are LOTS of woodworkers on FB. This was tried for the GTT contest, but tractor guys don't really do FB.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    Kenny,

Andy, forums are a business. Promoting your forum on another is generally frowned upon especially when the topics are the same or simular. Some treat our name like a curse word and **** it out if you try to type it-even in a PM. MTF is actually freindly towards us and allows a link in my signature for GTT, but still I don' post and tell people to come here out of respect for thier "house".
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    Kenny:

The contests have had great prizes and those who responded have been great. I wish I could suggest something, but my brain just isn't creative. It is good that I didn't have to make a living in advertising.

The staff has done a great job on the contests and running the forum in general. This is the first and only one that I have been on and reading posts is one of the highlights of my day.

Thanks to all of you for the good work,
    Don
    Thank you Don, those words mean a lot to us-and it's why we are here.

I am sorry if I sound like a whinny little girl here, but I just want to try to invoke some thoughtful discussion on this whole subject.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,328 Times in 2,601 Posts
    While I truly believe we have THE best tractor forum here with the best fellas possible, we are trying to grow the membership. Are the contests not a good idea? What would you like to see or do?

Sent using Tapatalk.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast