Question for bifocal eyeglass wearers.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Question for bifocal eyeglass wearers.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks

Question for bifocal eyeglass wearers.

Ok tractor men, I have a question about eyeglasses. About 12 years ago I rapidly and suddenly lost my abuility to read. Panicked, I rushed to an eye Dr. for an exam and they laughed and said I was just getting old and needed reading glasses. Worked my way up to 2.5 diopters by now. Lately my abuility to see correctly at distance has decayed, so I went for another exam. I asked about contacts maybe but they recomended bifocals. They said this would be the simplest way to get the proper near and far correction as my eyes have each a different prescription required. Picked out glasses, got "no Line" bifocals with AR coating front and rear. $ 535.... not including exam. Glasses came in and I went to pick up and have skull fit adjusted. Results: Vision at 5-10 feet much improved. Woman at store put up a reading chart that measured about 5 inches wide and 8 long. She place the card about 15 inches from my face on a rack. The words on top the chart were larger font than the descending rows of words. I cocked my head back to read through the lower part of the lenses and reported to her that I only had a circle of clarity that was legible. If I looked at the center of the largest line of words then the first word or two and the last word or two were blurry. If I looked at the center of the card there was a distinct circle that was legible. Changing the distance from my face did not change the effect. She said this is what is to be expected and I just need to wear them and get used to them? Stated I should try them a while and the eye clinic would make things right if I felt the glasses could not be used as intended.
    At work they are completely useless, can't read my computer monitor on my desk unless I tip my head WAY back and have only a 3 or 4 inch focal are on my 21 inch screen. Blueprint reading right under my nose is same deal. I can put on my dime store readers and see everything fine.

My question (finaly) is what is the normal usabuility of bifocals for folks with a lot of reading in their life? Should I have more field of view than I seem to? Who besides me thinks they messed these up?
    Sorry to have to ask here but I don't have enough people in my life who wear bifocals to ask what is normal.
    Thank you, I look forward to any advice on this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    I've worn progressives for guessing 20+years. The first pair of progressive company glasses, could not see with them no way no how.. Went to the fellow I had always used, he made me a pair,,no problem.

Thinking you should be able to read better than what your saying. Yes you have to till your head back but depending on what distance and size of print ,whether you read from the middle or the lower part of the lenses. Also your only seeing, or at least mine , in a 1/2-3/4" area down the middle of both lenses.
    The company made lenses were only about 1/4-1/2" wide area.
    I had gone from regular bifocals to progressive ,for about the first 2-3 months , if I looked at a straight line I seen it as having a curve .
    My wife went straight from no bifocals to progressive, she had no problem what so ever.

Stranger things have happened , wondering if the lenses where made wrong. Right should be your left and left should be the right.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 AM
    Thanks
    I have no-line bifocals with photo darkening lenses and get along good with them for normal outside/inside stuff (and shooting through a scope). But for computer work - like right NOW, I use readers also in 2.5 diopters. Normal bifocals are made assuming your reading something in your hands at chest level. Doesn't work for computers when you're looking more or less straight ahead.

It will take a little time for your computer (brain) to adapt to the no-lines, but you'll like them after awhile.

Gizmo2 told me about 2.5 cheaters for my welding helmet - I still owe him a beer for that!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I knew I would have to read through the bottom part of the lens, but wondered if the narrow area of focus was normal?
    Last edited by Jeff B; 03-16-2016 at 08:52 PM.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Thanks guys. I knew I would have to read through the bottom part of the lens, but wondered if the narrow area of focus was normal?
    Yup - normal as green grass.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Thanks
    I never liked the progressive lenses. Too much moving my head up and down to be able to see. I wore regular bifocals for many years as I got older, until I had cataract surgery and now I only need reading glasses. I preferred adjusting the distance between my eyes and the object, rather than moving my head up and down to try to get that little area where I could be able to see the object.

I went from being near sighted to being far sighted after cataract surgery. That was a BIG adjustment.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Thanks
    They might have mixed up on the prescription or the height of the bifocal, but the narrow field of view is inherent to progressive lenses.

My first bifocals were lined and I could see just fine with them. For my next pair a few years later, my wife thought I should try progressives. I immediately felt like an owl, twisting my head back and forth to see things clearly that I could see with no problems with the lined bifocals. I kept the progressives for less than a week and went back to the shop for a new pair of lined lenses.

The bifocals section of my lenses are about 1" wide. Testing right now, I can see clearly using the bifocals about 45 degrees in each direction without moving my head. If I recall, the progressives had a in-focus width of 1/4" or so, and the angles were greatly reduced, therefore the bothersome turning of my head. They did not work for me. I'm lined for life.
    SulleyBear and Jeff B like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OxPath For This Useful Post:

Jeff B (03-17-2016)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Oh , I'm hoping you was told , it will take time to adjust to these. One thing if you picked them up in the middle of the day . The next morning putting them on should make a difference. As others ,yes you will raise & tilt your head or have to turn your head inorder to see something. After wearing them for a month , no difference than wearing reg glasses, at least to me .
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, tj1 and 2 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

Jeff B (03-17-2016)

13. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Jeff B, I've been wearing Varilux progressive lenses for many, many years and really like like them.
    Notes:
    Took me about two weeks to figure out how to USE the progressive lenses.
    I have never gotten a new pair that were correct the first time. The last pair were changed out 3 times.
    The lenses should be to YOUR liking (within reason) not what the examiner THINKS they should be, BIG difference.
    IMO, Loss of eye sight is pretty much a fact of life as we age. You will NEVER see as well as you did before no matter what lenses you have.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

Jeff B (03-17-2016)

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rope_Chucker View Post
    I have no-line bifocals with photo darkening lenses and get along good with them for normal outside/inside stuff (and shooting through a scope). But for computer work - like right NOW, I use readers also in 2.5 diopters. Normal bifocals are made assuming your reading something in your hands at chest level. Doesn't work for computers when you're looking more or less straight ahead.

It will take a little time for your computer (brain) to adapt to the no-lines, but you'll like them after awhile.

Gizmo2 told me about 2.5 cheaters for my welding helmet - I still owe him a beer for that!
    Exactly the same here.

The muscles that control your eyes will get accustomed to this - just takes a little time. I had a heck of a time navigating stairs for the first couple weeks. But after a few weeks it became second nature for my eyes to instantly zero in on the bifocal part without even thinking about it.

And I have the $1 reading glasses all over the house - have to use them for the computer and also like them when doing some more intricate work.

My glasses get quite expensive also but I refuse to not look through very good lenses. No-line bifocals, Crizal anti-reflective coating (very important to me) and the Transitions since my eyes are very sensitive to light. I had to get a pair of Grandma sun glasses to use in the truck however.....

Still have some difficulty shooting - have yet to find the right glasses to use. I have ghost sights on my lever action rifles (scopes on lever rifles just look silly in my opinion) and have a hard time getting my bifocal lined up properly with the sight without having my head at an awkward angle.
    Last edited by coaltrain; 03-17-2016 at 07:50 AM.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast