Beet Pulp and Horses
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Beet Pulp and Horses

  1. Top | #1
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 AM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    34,202
    Thanks
    5,771
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts

    Beet Pulp and Horses

    Anyone have experience with feeding beet pulp to horses with cushing's disease?
    As usual when you think you know a lot you find out you really don't know much at all.
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Rope_Chucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 AM
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    979
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 189 Times in 134 Posts
    That's a new one to me.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

  4. Top | #3
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,029
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    I've heard of using beet pulp to help a horse put on weight, but not necessarily for Cushings.
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 AM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    34,202
    Thanks
    5,771
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    I've heard of using beet pulp to help a horse put on weight, but not necessarily for Cushings.
    Exactly, because of cushings.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  7. Top | #5
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,168
    Thanks
    3,006
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Anyone have experience with feeding beet pulp to horses with cushing's disease?
    As usual when you think you know a lot you find out you really don't know much at all.
    BOY-gizmo2-didn't know that horse's could get Cushing's disease. is it the same disease adults get? it has to do with the and-- gland above the kidney's. some doctors call it the elephant man's disease too, on account of how bad the lower part of the neck between the shoulder blades swell's up, now this is on the back side of ur body. very educational for me here today!

  8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 AM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    34,202
    Thanks
    5,771
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim 55 View Post
    BOY-gizmo2-didn't know that horse's could get Cushing's disease. is it the same disease adults get? it has to do with the and-- gland above the kidney's. some doctors call it the elephant man's disease too, on account of how bad the lower part of the neck between the shoulder blades swell's up, now this is on the back side of ur body. very educational for me here today!
    Whoops!

    I'm still learning myself. Just a few...

    Beet pulp for horses. It's high in digestible fiber. It has a low non-structural carbohydrate level. It has a low glycemic index. Beet pulp!

    Managing Equine Cushing's Disease | TheHorse.com
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 02:28 PM
    Location
    Marion, Montana
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
    We feed LOTS of beet pulp to horses (13 Clydesdales) as a base for their winter feed, but I'm not sure with Cushings. You might try to find some info on IVIS website ( Home Page - International Veterinary Information Service - IVIS ). There's some great information on there, and that's where we usually head when we have a problem that we need to research.
    Good luck and I'd be interested to know what you find out!
    John
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, PaDave and 4 others like this.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to John Hanson For This Useful Post:

    PaDave (03-21-2016)

  11. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 AM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    34,202
    Thanks
    5,771
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanson View Post
    We feed LOTS of beet pulp to horses (13 Clydesdales) as a base for their winter feed, but I'm not sure with Cushings. You might try to find some info on IVIS website ( Home Page - International Veterinary Information Service - IVIS ). There's some great information on there, and that's where we usually head when we have a problem that we need to research.
    Good luck and I'd be interested to know what you find out!
    John
    Thanks. FWIW, the horse we are dealing with is soon to be 28 Years old.
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  12. Top | #9
    Rope_Chucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 AM
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    979
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 189 Times in 134 Posts
    Gizmo2, I'm presuming you have his teeth floated and all taken care of.?
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

  13. Top | #10
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,029
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    My paint/ tb mix can be tough to keep weight on. We've used corn oil, but it made everything kind of slimy. We gave him 5 lbs of alfalfa a day (baled, not processed) and that helped as well. We were going to try the beet pulp, but I found a feed in TN that was 12% fat and 12% protein that he did very well on and didn't need any supplements. Once we moved to WY I couldn't get that feed anymore. Right now he's on a 9% fat, 12% protein feed with a flax supplement called Omega Max. That seems to be working well.

    Have you tried changing feed or supplementing with alfalfa?
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •