• 5 Post By potential
  • 4 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: Jarts - Anyone still play?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks

Jarts - Anyone still play?

I played as a kid with my grandparents and the wife and I have played jarts with our kids. Saturday we had friends over and had the jarts and corn hole set up. One family left because the jarts scared them but everyone else had a blast.

Anyone else still play jarts? Anyone have a set hiding out in the basement they'd like to sell? We need a few more sets.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    I played as a kid with my grandparents and the wife and I have played jarts with our kids. Saturday we had friends over and had the jarts and corn hole set up. One family left because the jarts scared them but everyone else had a blast.

Anyone else still play jarts? Anyone have a set hiding out in the basement they'd like to sell? We need a few more sets.
    psr -

I haven't seen Jarts in many years, but I vividly remember the neighborhood kid with one stuck in his instep- I sometimes imagine how badly that day might have turned out.

Good luck with your search; I'd rather be beaned with a corn hole bag than stuck in any manner with a jart.

Brian
    johnH123 likes this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    We have two sets,, one for use,,, and one that is new unused,,,

It is my wife's favorite rebellion against the establishment!!

Better than driving 200 MPH is a suburb,, I guess,,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 957 Posts
    I had forgotten about Jarts. We had a set when I was growing up but have no clue what happened to it. A friend of the family worked construction and had given me an old hard hat. My folks always made me put that on when the Jarts came out. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
    DRobinson likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Thanks
    We would not allow Jarts around our house for obvious reasons. We live on an acreage, and in an area which at that time had lots of free range kids. Just didn't want to take a chance; and oh, BTW, our two girls were also forbidden to ride on motorbikes and motorcycles.

When I was growing up, we didn't have a lot of store bought toys. My Grandfather, who was born in 1880, had all sorts of dangerous things to teach me, much to the chagrin of my Mother. He taught me how to make my own home-made Jarts. It's easy. Start with a big nail, a big corn cob, and a couple of rooster feathers. Grind the head off the nail, and down to a point. Insert it in the big end of the corn cob (with some glue if you want) and insert a couple of rooster feathers in the other end of the cob. You're off and running!

He had an even better, and equally dangerous creation. I don't know what you call it, but maybe I can describe it. You start with a regular wooden shingle, at least about 4" wide, a stick about 1/2" in diameter and about 14" long, and a piece of butcher twine about 24" long. The shingle is cut to shape, not unlike the tail of a windmill, with the tail portion toward the thin part of the shingle, and tapered to a point at the fat end. Cut a notch about 2" back from the point. Take the butcher twine and tie it to one end of the stick, forming a loop. Grab the other end of the stick, fit the loop into the notch, grab the tail of the shingle, and flip the stick sending the sharpened shingle into the air. It goes like a bullet, and acts just like a Jart, except it is much lighter, but sharper and still dangerous. My Mother was not amused.

Having all of this experience behind me, Jarts were simply not an option at my house.

Wow! Look what I found! It even has a name...Shingle Dart!

http://www.primitiveways.com/shingle_dart.html

And then there's the Corn Cob Dart!

http://www.nativetech.org/games/wheel&dart.html

For some reason, these seem to be the OSHA versions!
    Last edited by 2LaneCruzer; 03-28-2016 at 09:17 AM.
    potential, flyweight and johnH123 like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Wow, good thing for that family that you didn't pull out the 22's for a little plinking. Might have had to call for help when they all fainted.
    DRobinson, psrumors and SulleyBear like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    I still play Jarts. If you're looking for another set, check EBay. They occasionally come up for sale in there...

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
    I still play Jarts. If you're looking for another set, check EBay. They occasionally come up for sale in there...
    Which would hurt more,,, a 6 ounce Jart,,, or a 2 pound horseshoe??

If thrown similar distances,, both will have the same velocity,,, the horseshoe might have greater velocity,,,,

Hmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    06-18-2016 @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks
    I just gotta laugh. My apologies if this sounds inappropriate, not my intent,We Know they can be dangerous but so are motorcycles, cars, women and tractors and I love them all. have not thought about or seen jarts in a long time. I like the corn cob idea though!
    Kennyd, RandyM, ColonyPark and 2 others like this.
    1025rFILB 54"deck,Home built QA fork adapter frame and forks,home built 3 point mounted "leaf sucker" motor/blower ,
    backhoe mounted mower, backhoe scraper plate,home brew QA 54" loader arm snow plow

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    I had forgotten about Jarts. We had a set when I was growing up but have no clue what happened to it. A friend of the family worked construction and had given me an old hard hat. My folks always made me put that on when the Jarts came out. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
    It's amazing how different things are. Looking back, it's surprising that many of us ever survived to reach this point in life. Riding in cars without child seats and traveling in cars which didn't even have seat belts. Riding in the back of open pick up trucks, etc., etc.

For those of us north of 50 years of age, just imagine the kid back then who would have appeared with the bike helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, wrist supports, just to go out and ride their bikes, like many kids today. Heck, I think I see more adults who are serious bikers riding than I do young kids in the neighborhood........ Expecting us to wear all that safety equipment back then would have been a major blow to one's attitude of toughness. The poor kid might as well have been bubble wrapped head to toe (if there even was bubble wrap in the 1950's and 1960's?, not that I recall)

Mrs. Bear and I were discussing the other day how as a kid, you wore your knee scabs and elbow scabs as a badge of honor. Stitches were even better and more impressive. Of course, a cast was the pinnacle of an injury badge, and for boys, the dirtier the cast got in the summer, the cooler it seemed because it meant you kept right on with the stuff which probably caused the injury to begin with.

When I was a teenager, like 13 to 15 years old, us guys would shoot bottle rockets at each other like they were missiles. Every kid I knew had a real bow and arrow, as a matter of fact, a neighborhood girl (who always had a crush on me) was a regional archery champion in her teen years and she even tried out for the Olympics. Wonder whatever happened to her?

We did have our own "strict code" of conduct for certain things, like when we shot BB guns at each other, you had to use the old "Red Ryder" type single pump spring loaded guns and no multi pump air rifles. And we always shot waist level or below. We did wear safety goggles, After all, safety first.

Weird thing is that I don't recall any kids really being hurt seriously during all the years of our antics. Yes there were broken bones from falling out of trees, etc. But I can't recall any "permanent" injuries among the group in our neighborhood.

There was a neighborhood boy, 11 or 12 years old if I recall, who was struck and killed by a car while he was filing in for his brother on his newspaper delivery route. The driver of the car was drunk and went to prison. My mom had always babysat this boy when he was pre-school age. This child's death ended up causing the parents to divorce within 2 years of the tragic accident and within 5 years, the brother who had asked his younger brother to take his paper route for him, ended up taking his own life at his age 19.

Jart's were a very popular staple in the campgrounds in that era. I do recall when they changed from the metal die cast style threaded tips to the plastic tip and I also think that they were made lighter in weight overall than their metal counterparts. Once they went to plastic, there wasn't any weight added to them which usually meant the dads playing their Jart's tournaments which involved wagering would have to agree on whether it was all metal or all plastic to be used.

I do recall two dads getting into an argument during a dads Bocce ball tournament at the neighboring Italian resort right next door where one dad smacked the other in the head with a Bocce ball. These guys would get very serious in their Bocce ball matches and would also be drinking Vino so they got louder and louder and more animated as the event went on.

Also, it was considered a badge of honor as a 10 year old boy to be able to share swear words with your friends in Italian, Greek and German.., all of which could be acquired hanging around these matches. The Greeks would always lose at Bocce ball to the Italians and would want to settle it by playing cards. ........Ah those fond memories, it's fun reliving them.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements