• 4 Post By Zebrafive
  • 1 Post By UnionSchnauzer

Thread: Mom's new Buggy

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks

Mom's new Buggy

After dad pasted, I had to step up my game and take care of the mechanical things around mom's house. I installed new locks and deadbolts, changed almost all the incandescent lamps to LED, cleaned gutters, washed this, mowed that, and serviced everything that needs to be serviced. Her beautiful Cadillac DeVille needed some tires and shocks so we did that. Mom wanted to trade her car off. Okay. Sure. What do you want? She had several Cadillacs so I assumed that is what she wanted. She sorta likes my wife's Equinox. So we drove some different ones. Na. She drove a Chevy Captiva. I kinda like that. Really? Mom, you might want to think about that one. That is a big jump from a DeVille to that little thing. So summer came and went. I aways scan the GM lots. I came across this little Buick Encore. Man, this thing is neat. Took mom over to look at it and drive it. She fell in love. While much smaller, it has that Buick ride and all the bells and whistles you would expect from Buick. It is the Encore Premium AWD. It has the lane change alarm, the blind spot alarm, the your about to hit the car in front of you alarm and of course the big back up camera with alarms there too. Perfect for a 75 year old lady. Plus heated seats and steering wheel, sunroof, remote start, and navigation. Plus the usual XM radio pushing through BOSE speakers and OnStar.

Now it is somewhat peppy. I did not tell mom about the sport model with the turbo charger. Mom is one of those ladies you hate to have behind you. She can't pass you fast enough. She travels 65 mph on most roads and 80 on the freeway. She had no problems whatsoever with her NorthStar Cadillacs loading up on her. She keeps the carbon blown out. When I was a young teen she had a couple of Trans Ams and a Corvette. Took very little to get her to power brake those babies!

She did state it is not has fast as her Cadillac. I for one am glad to hear that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4164.jpg   IMG_4168.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    She sounds pretty cute! I like to say I am a "fast" old man behind the wheel.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 995 Posts
    Since I bought Ms. SGS her Escape Titanium back in November '14 I don't think she's put 1000 miles on her baby, the 2004 Lincoln LS V8. Ms. SGS has a lead foot but the 2.0 Litre EcoBoost runs out pretty good. Now she's talking about selling her LS with 43,000 original miles on it. She won't........
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 05-04-2016 at 08:02 PM.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionSchnauzer View Post

She did state it is not has fast as her Cadillac. I for one am glad to hear that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrQWU2EcsA

Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Thanks
    God bless her. Hope she has many more years of driving.
    My mom stopped driving around 75. It was all down hill from there.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    My Mom's almost 92, I wish she would stop driving. She totaled her car (accident, her fault) in 2013. I thought this would be the end. As soon as the insurance check came she was out new car shopping. Her insurance has doubled, but she still pays it and drives.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks
    My mom is a pretty good driver still. She just likes to go fast. She likes the roar of a V-8 as it runs through the gears.

She does admit that she needs to slow down and that parking the DeVille is getting harder. I do think it will be tough when I have to face that time when she should not drive.

My mother in law is there now. She is 86 and we are starting to wonder if she should not drive. It was suggested by one of her doctors which really made her mad. Just 6 short years ago, she retired after 40 years of driving school bus. 3 years ago we urged her to trade in her F250 crew cab diesel for something that she would not fall out of or need to climb into. As a side note she got an Edge. Super sucky gas millage (14 mpg) and a ride that will have you peeing blood within 35 minutes. Should have kept the truck. She has removed the mirrors on it three times already going in and out of the garage. This is very hard for my wife and sister in law as ma is determined to continue to drive. She doesn't drive erratically, just her memory is slipping and will she remember where she is or to hit the brakes is what we fear. And she forgets about those pesky mirrors.

It is both a blessing and sometimes a curse to have your folks grow old. But I'm glad to have them still.

isaac
    Superglidesport likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements