Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree257Likes

Thread: How Do They Know?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks

How Do They Know?

We live on a acreage, not really urban, but not really rural either. My neighbor puts out corn for the wild turkeys that roam this area, but it is in a small feeder almost at ground level. The other day, I saw a Mallard hen and an drake swoop in and partake of the corn. I have seen them several times since; and recently a couple of geese landed and did the same thing. I am still amazed; how do they know that there are goodies in that one little area about one yard square? Any thoughts?
    Have wings, will travel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    Same way my brother could find my beer stash on my 7 acres of land!
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Thanks
    The same way songbirds manage to find that lone bird feeder in a neighborhood in the middle of winter I guess.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Reminds me of the Hummingbirds since our first one was back on Monday. I find it amazing that they can fly such a distance - even across the Gulf of Mexico - and come to the same exact place each spring. We have 3 regulars that are here every year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neotrop_gulf.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	174810
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks

Fowl idea

All birds but especially waterfowl are acutely aware of what appears to be a feeding area. The species doesn't matter as long as it's uses similar foods so ducks look for geese, swans etc. I would suspect the geese found the food first and the ducks homed in on the geese.

That's one reason that moving/splashing decoys are so effective. That movement shouts, "Chow time" to waterfowl.

Treefarmer
    Levi, BigJim55, SulleyBear and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    I read on twitter that they tweet this information to each other!

I observed the same thing with the cracked corn my neighbor puts out. It seems the crows notice it first and they make such a racket that other birds notice and join in. So I guess the info does get "tweeted" throughout the bird population.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 4 others like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

10. Top | #8
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    All birds but especially waterfowl are acutely aware of what appears to be a feeding area. The species doesn't matter as long as it's uses similar foods so ducks look for geese, swans etc. I would suspect the geese found the food first and the ducks homed in on the geese.

that's one reason that moving/splashing decoys are so effective. That movement shouts, "Chow time" to waterfowl.
    Treefarmer
    Then BLAM goes the 12 gauge! There's a lot of unexplained things in this world and that's why it's so darned interesting. Maybe a call to cliff clavin can settle this? I don't have his number though... But I bet Pappa Haskell does after he finds his beer...
    pappa, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

11. Top | #9
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist1 View Post
    I read on twitter that they tweet this information to each other!

I observed the same thing with the cracked corn my neighbor puts out. It seems the crows notice it first and they make such a racket that other birds notice and join in. So I guess the info does get "tweeted" throughout the bird population.
    My father in law used to call the crows the "undertakers"!!! They keep the roads cleaned of dead squirrels or anything else that's dead!
    Levi, BigJim55, SulleyBear and 1 others like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    We live on a acreage, not really urban, but not really rural either. My neighbor puts out corn for the wild turkeys that roam this area, but it is in a small feeder almost at ground level. The other day, I saw a Mallard hen and an drake swoop in and partake of the corn. I have seen them several times since; and recently a couple of geese landed and did the same thing. I am still amazed; how do they know that there are goodies in that one little area about one yard square? Any thoughts?
    The animals use an "APP" on their smartphones called "Fowl List", kinda like Craiglist but for the animal kingdom. They have a whole range of things like "great Landing places" and "favorite feed spots" and of course, they have a section called "Fowl Play" where the various animals have personal ads, and I will leave it at that.........

The reason it is called "Fowl List", but is used by all animals is because a Chicken, who desires to remain anonymous, created the program and prefers to not have to split the ad revenue or other monetized benefits with their human owner.......

It's something they keep real quiet.........
    Gizmo2, PaDave, Levi and 5 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast