Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Dangerous neighbor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks

Dangerous neighbor

Good morning all-

Fair warning- this may be a rant but also a request for advice.

We have a neighbor who literally is a danger on the road. In the past few years, he's had at least 8 wrecks that I know of, totaling three or more vehicles, (2 in the last two months) and unfortunately killing one other person who he hit head on.

He's part of a young married couple with two young children and needs to support his family, however, HE CAN'T BE TRUSTED TO DRIVE!

He literally is as dangerous as a drunk person walking around the neighborhood with loaded, cocked revolver which has no safety. Another accident will happen and everyone just prays that he will not kill anyone else.

The last accident was at 3:00 am. He drove off the road and up an embankment, split a poplar tree and the car rolled down the slope and ended up back on it's wheels. He drove it home with the right front wheel folded under the car, rear tire blown, air bag deployed etc. I have no idea how the car moved the mile or so home but it did. His wife called the rescue squad and they checked him over and he refused to go to the hospital but did go later on his own. No police were called.

He should not be driving at all. I don't know if he uses drugs, alcohol or texts but the record shows he's an unsafe driver. He spent some time in jail after the wreck that killed the other person but has has multiple wrecks since then. Short of simply shooting him, I'm at a loss of how to get him off the road before he kills me or someone in my family.

Do y'all have any ideas?

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

jphavener (05-08-2016), SulleyBear (05-08-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    After going to Jail, they didn't take his license?

I'd think only his wife or a family member could turn him in and ask for a his driving privileges to be revoked.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

5. Top | #3
    tj1
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Good morning all-

Fair warning- this may be a rant but also a request for advice.

We have a neighbor who literally is a danger on the road. In the past few years, he's had at least 8 wrecks that I know of, totaling three or more vehicles, (2 in the last two months) and unfortunately killing one other person who he hit head on.

He's part of a young married couple with two young children and needs to support his family, however, HE CAN'T BE TRUSTED TO DRIVE!

He literally is as dangerous as a drunk person walking around the neighborhood with loaded, cocked revolver which has no safety. Another accident will happen and everyone just prays that he will not kill anyone else.

The last accident was at 3:00 am. He drove off the road and up an embankment, split a poplar tree and the car rolled down the slope and ended up back on it's wheels. He drove it home with the right front wheel folded under the car, rear tire blown, air bag deployed etc. I have no idea how the car moved the mile or so home but it did. His wife called the rescue squad and they checked him over and he refused to go to the hospital but did go later on his own. No police were called.

He should not be driving at all. I don't know if he uses drugs, alcohol or texts but the record shows he's an unsafe driver. He spent some time in jail after the wreck that killed the other person but has has multiple wrecks since then. Short of simply shooting him, I'm at a loss of how to get him off the road before he kills me or someone in my family.

Do y'all have any ideas?

Treefarmer
    Do you really have a police department there? He should not be driving and I hope he doesn't have a weapon either.. Write the PD or SP with your concerns.. He probably doesn't have insurance either and is his vehicle registered? If this occurred here he would not have a license nor insurance, he wouldn't be able to afford it with all the Massachusetts surcharges!! However, people will still drive without a license nor even tags on the vehicle.. Be aware Tree, very aware.. If you do shoot him, all I can advise; quick lye...
    MDrew, mtrmn, Marlin and 2 others like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Call the police (non-emergency number) and report the damaged tree. Then tell them of your suspicions about who damaged the tree. They probably want him off the road just as much as you do.

The report of a damaged tree gives them an excuse to open an investigation. If that investigation leads them to his house... so be it. Then they can issue him a citation for leaving the scene of an accident and failing to report an accident. (Although, I'm surprised that the Rescue squad showed up without any police involvement. In my area the police show up any time fire or rescue responds.)

Eventually he'll get enough citations that the State will yank his license.
    tj1, johnH123 and LoneStranger like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Treefarmer (05-06-2016)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    I am not defending the neighbor,, but,,,,
    this type of activity used to be the norm in the 1950's and 1960's

That is as far back as my memory goes,,,

A local drunk made a turn and drove his car directly into me (I was on a bike) when I was about 9 years old.

The cops came, found I was only banged and bruised,,,
    they put me and the broken bike in the police car, and took me to my home. No charge against the driver.

He was a non-working local drunk,,, had about 6 kids,,, if they charged him or arrested him,,
    IT WOULD HAVE BEEN HARD ON HIS FAMILY!!

Yes,, times have changed,,,,
    Marlin and tj1 like this.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Thanks
    Contact the District Attorney for you area.
    Marlin likes this.
    Randy
    New: 2017 JD 2032R. R3 turf, 220R FEL with Single Point, 7-iron 60D MMM, Artillian Diverter; 2019 Z740r
    Previous: 2012 JD 1026R, R3 turf, H-120 FEL, 7-iron 60D MMM
    Attached: EA Wicked 55 Grapple, iMatch, Heavyhitch w/8x42lb, JD BB5060L, JD LR5060L, JLF-2242 forks, Shaver 101 PHD, Countyline 48" rotary cutter
    Tow Behind: Trac-Vac 880, JD10 Cart, Countyline 25 ton splitter
    Stihl: MS180CB-E; MS391; HT101; FS110; HS81T; BR600 Magnum
    Critters: Bees, Chickens, Maremmas

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    This is a scary situation - that guy needs to be grounded by any means neccessary. And I can just about bet he has no license and/or insurance.

As much as I would hate to be the one to make the call, in this situation I likely wouldd. In fact since I know most of the State Troopers I would stop in at the barracks in person and tell the story to the Lieutenant.

Here in Penna they are pretty strict with driving with no insurance - but they need to be notified. All it would take is a 30 second search on their system and they will know. Then they will be out right away and take the plate off the car.

Of course the guy is probably driving someone else's car. Then to have the license plate number would be very helpful.

Then of course there is the (my preferred) backwoods way of dealing with this. Each time I saw him in a car that same car would be disabled that following night.
    Marlin and tj1 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    I was driving up to Northern Michigan a few years back on I-75 going about 75mph. A car flies by me doing 95+, goes from the left lane, onto the shoulder, then back across both lanes into the right lane and on the shoulder, back across the lines left, slowed down to 55 or so, then sped back up - totally erratic driving.

I called 911, connected to the State Police and they directed a unit to my location northbound. As I talked to the dispatcher I was giving her a play by play of this guys driving and our current location/speed (this was before camera phones) I had to go 100mph at times to keep him in sight, but the freeway had little traffic, and I was being very cautious. Dispatcher tells me to pull over when the Trooper pulls the guy over, which I do.

Trooper goes up to the person, talks with him for a little while, then comes back to talk to me. I told him everything I saw. He tells me "well - it doesn't appear that he has been drinking or is under the influence of anything. I think we just have a case of DWO.....Driving While Old.

I watched the guy drive away from the stop. He was JUST as dangerous as any drunk or distracted driver I've ever witnessed.

Did the same thing going through Detroit one day as I watched a lady bounce off the median wall and keep driving and swerving like nothing happened. This time she got arrested (apparently high on crack or something as I later got called by the police for an official statement, etc.) they used my 911 call as evidence in the cased and ended up not needing me to testify. Sure wish I had a camera phone at that time as well.

Just this morning watched a lady on her cellphone smash into 4 different curbs in her Tahoe SUV in a narrow lane. Road up the curb for a good 2-3 car lengths each time.

Tons of REALLY bad drivers out there.....
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    I would write an email to the mayor, police chief, supervisors, council members or whoever has authority where you live in order to create an electronic paper trail to put them on notice. They will be forced to do a follow up investigation to cover their a$$es in case the criminal further injures someone. Go to the police and fill out a complaint to further the paper trail. The squeaky wheel gets greased in these times of lawyers and liability. I would even suggest contacting MADD for assistance.
    BigJim55, Marlin and tj1 like this.
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pappa For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (05-07-2016)

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    If, in fact, he has had that many "accidents" including one with a fatality, he certainly is not driving legally. Unfortunately, the only way to get him off the road is to have him put behind bars. You will have to build a coalition of neighbors in your area to have the police called every time he gets in a car and drives off. Eventually, he will be arrested so many times that a jail sentence will be inevitable.

I say these things because this is exactly how some neighbors and I (and my wife) got a perpetual drunk driver off of the road years ago when I lived in a suburban neighborhood in PA. Fortunately, we also had help from the "drunk's" spouse an son.

Good luck!

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast