Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Freaky Incident!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Thanks

Freaky Incident!

Crazy thing happened to me yesterday. I was in the process changing oil and putting new blades on my LX 172. I had removed the deck and pulled it away from the tractor, out in the yard where I could work on it. At this point, I was ready to flip it over in order to get to the blades. Now the front part of the deck has two "hooks" welded to it, that are used to couple the deck to a bracket attached to the front axle. In the process of flipping the deck over, I grabbed these hooks to lift the deck up on its trailing edge. Somehow, in the process of flipping the thing over, I got overbalanced, and the deck began to fall. One of these hooks grabbed my finger above the knuckle and flipped me over with it, body slamming me to the ground.

I was lucky; I ended up with a sore shoulder and a man sized barked shin, but other than feeling a bit stupid and embarrassed, I was OK. In any case, it was a surprising turn of events. Guess I'm getting too old for this sort of thing, it's getting to be an ordeal that I don't look forward to any more...although I'm not ready to give it up.
    Have wings, will travel.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (05-10-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Thanks
    Other than the sore shoulder and barked shin, if no one saw it, it did not happen.
    My wife is asking me all the time how I got this or that bruise. I tell her I don't remember getting it.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:37 AM
    Thanks
    Yeah, when I pull one of those, the first thing I do is look around to see if anyone was watching....I'm looking around more and more these days.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Other than the sore shoulder and barked shin, if no one saw it, it did not happen.
    My wife is asking me all the time how I got this or that bruise. I tell her I don't remember getting it.
    Z-5: I'm going to "borrow" your line: :if no one saw it, it did not happen." I expect to get good play and lots of cheap laughs with it soon...

Thanks!!

Brian
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 AM
    Thanks

Glad you are ok

Thankful the damage wasn't worse! I guess the only solution is to use a FEL and bolt on hooks to lift it up next time. After all, safety comes first so if it involves some purchasing that's only for safety not because you wanted it. A tractor and FEL is much cheaper than a stay in a hospital so you are saving money!

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #6
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Crazy thing happened to me yesterday. I was in the process changing oil and putting new blades on my LX 172. I had removed the deck and pulled it away from the tractor, out in the yard where I could work on it. At this point, I was ready to flip it over in order to get to the blades. Now the front part of the deck has two "hooks" welded to it, that are used to couple the deck to a bracket attached to the front axle. In the process of flipping the deck over, I grabbed these hooks to lift the deck up on its trailing edge. Somehow, in the process of flipping the thing over, I got overbalanced, and the deck began to fall. One of these hooks grabbed my finger above the knuckle and flipped me over with it, body slamming me to the ground.

I was lucky; I ended up with a sore shoulder and a man sized barked shin, but other than feeling a bit stupid and embarrassed, I was OK. In any case, it was a surprising turn of events. Guess I'm getting too old for this sort of thing, it's getting to be an ordeal that I don't look forward to any more...although I'm not ready to give it up.
    2lane, it could have been worse; you could have pulled your finger right off your hand... When I was a kid working in a grocery store we witnessed a delivery man jump off the loading dock and somehow got his wedding ring finger stuck in the dumpster and he pulled his finger right off the bone! The worst part after the shock for us 15 year old kids was the fruit company called to see if we could pick up his wedding ring. Couldn't; a dog ran off with his black colored finger!!!!! Lesson learned about putting fingers where trouble could arise it's ugly head.. My wife would never allow me to wear my wedding ring to work, ever... Chicks at the gin mills we used to stop at after work for a nice cold one were all over us for that, I'm sure Giz can attest to this, being the stud that he is... Better to survive the embarrassment then the other outcome.... Jeff
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. Top | #7
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftaylor View Post
    2lane, it could have been worse; you could have pulled your finger right off your hand... When I was a kid working in a grocery store we witnessed a delivery man jump off the loading dock and somehow got his wedding ring finger stuck in the dumpster and he pulled his finger right off the bone! The worst part after the shock for us 15 year old kids was the fruit company called to see if we could pick up his wedding ring. Couldn't; a dog ran off with his black colored finger!!!!! Lesson learned about putting fingers where trouble could arise it's ugly head.. My wife would never allow me to wear my wedding ring to work, ever... Chicks at the gin mills we used to stop at after work for a nice cold one were all over us for that, I'm sure Giz can attest to this, being the stud that he is... Better to survive the embarrassment then the other outcome.... Jeff
    I was thinking the same thing, it just about happened to the Jimmy Fallon(tonight show). One reason I don't wear my ring any more, I'd like to keep all my digits.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Thankful the damage wasn't worse! I guess the only solution is to use a FEL and bolt on hooks to lift it up next time. After all, safety comes first so if it involves some purchasing that's only for safety not because you wanted it. A tractor and FEL is much cheaper than a stay in a hospital so you are saving money!

Treefarmer
    I like your rationale, but I didn't tell Sharn Jean what happened. I need a new mower any way, so I'm working on my arguments now.
    Have wings, will travel.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post

Huh. I almost had the same thing happen on Sunday when I replaced the blades on my D160. I got my fingers into the front wheel brackets on the deck and tried to stand it up and the whole bottom of the thing started to slide into my ankles and the top swung out away form me. Luckily, I managed to get my fingers out but I was a third of the way over by the time I did. Took everything I had to remain upright. On my next try I ran chain through the brackets and lifted the thing with my loader.

Be safe out there folks!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Thanks
    man, that mower must not like you. how many rocks have you run over?

all kidding aside, im glad you're OK.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com