Do you pull over to help stranded motorists?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do you pull over to help stranded motorists?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks

For years, my family members and myself would usually pull over when we'd see another motorist in need of help. After the way things have changed here, I am less likely to try and help someone unless I feel it's safe.

Several years back, I was on my way to pick up some tractor parts and took what I'd call the scenic route. During the trip to the dealership, I noticed a pickup truck sitting on the shoulder. It was a typical hot and humid day (normal for Texas during spring & summer) and the driver of the truck had the windows rolled down. At first, I was tempted to turn around and go back to help, but decided that if that truck was still there on the return trip, I'd go ahead and see if I could help.

On the return trip home that same truck and driver were still sitting there, so I went ahead and pulled up behind and turned on my truck's hazard lights. I do recall saying some prayers before getting out. As I approached the truck on foot, the driver got out and thanked me for stopping. I asked what the problem was and he replied that he had a flat tire and was attempting to put on the spare when the jack sunk into the asphalt. Went and got my jack and in less than five minutes had the older gentleman back on the road. He was sweating as hard as I do. Said that no one else had stopped to offer help and that he'd been sitting there for about 3 hours. He didn't own a cell phone and was on his way to the nursing home to visit his mom.

These days, at least in my area, you are risking your life when you pull over to help others. You are risking being run over by another motorist or the possibility of being held up at gun point. Wish the latter wasn't part of the equation, but it just is. Helping other people is what I like to do, but sometimes it's safer to just call for help for them if they are unable to.

Last edited by green and red man; 11-28-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    rdilmore likes this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to green and red man For This Useful Post:

rdilmore (11-01-2013)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Born and raised in NYC, I really hesitated to stop for any stranded motorist. In NYC, there were so many police around during the daytime, you didn't have to wait very long before one stopped to assist. Night time was another story, then for safety's sake (my safety), I wouldn't stop, but would try to get word to the police at the next gas station I passed.

Living more in the country now, I will always look over at the motorist to see if he/she was on a cell phone talking/calling for help. But then it depends on the situation, man or woman, kids present or not, elderly or young, busy area or deserted road, and if I myself are alone or with friends in the car, then decide whether I'd stop or not. If I decide not to stop, I would call the local sheriff/state police to tell them of a stranded motorist. Sometimes I'd stop in the road, roll the window down and ask if they needed help, then make a call for them. Getting out of my car is another decision to consider before acting too hastily.

Just my 2 cents. But I would do something instead of nothing for a stranded motorist.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfive For This Useful Post:

green and red man (11-29-2012)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    One of my best friends stopped to help two teen age girls who were on the side of the road with the hood raised and was kidnapped / murdered by their boyfriends. They carried him to a nearby cotton patch and shot him in the head with his hands tied behind him. His car was found in St. Petersburg, Florida a few weeks later. The guilty party is doing time now.

You've got to be careful. If I don't recognize them, I usually call the sheriff and report a stranded motorist.
    Wayne
    2013 JD 4520 CUT with 400X FEL
    1942 LA John Deere
    1910 John Deere Freight Wagon (restored)
    1946 John Deere Series 300 two disk plow

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wayne For This Useful Post:

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks
    Not anymore, unless it's somebody I know!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to grnspot110 For This Useful Post:

11. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Thanks
    How about the other way around? Would you accept help from someone that you don't know? Extenuating circumstances aside, I say no. That is what I have AAA for.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubber For This Useful Post:

13. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    In my youger days I changed many a flat tire, gave jump starts and pulled vehicles out of the ditch. But not any more. Too many bad people looking to take advantage, now I let the police handle them.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

15. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks

Laughing

I got into work this morning late. I logged onto GTT and this thread was current and active. I laughed out load. I'm late this morning because I stopped and helped someone.
    On my way in I saw a small white car on the side of the road. (It's 30 below this morning and danged dark this time of year) The windows were frosty as I went by I saw movement at the drivers window so I stopped. The woman in the car was terrified of me..... It was so cold and her car had quit. I think her alternator had quit since she had no juice at all. As I walked up she peeked out scared so To help her fear a bit I held up my ID and told her I could help. She had a baby in a car seat and both of them were cold. I got them in my truck to warm up and tried my cell. It's a dead spot for about 5 miles. The solution was I drove her back about 10 miles to her house. As it turns out she's a fairly new neighbor down the road (what a way to meet).
    She told me that several cars had passed by and no one even slowed down much less helped. Sad....Up here it is life or death. Stopping to help is something you do. NO MATTER WHAT. We do not have a requirement for concealed carry permits so assume everyone is packing. I had a 44 special in my pocket just in case. The standard to live by is "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, it will even out somewhere in the middle"
    I'm glad I stopped and I'd do it again on the way home if someone had a problem. I strill have my humanity and will help my fellow Alaskans. I will not be a victim but I WILL NOT be the inhuman bugger that drives by a young family freezing in a car either. Out of fear for some bad guy I lose my humanity. No way!
    Thats my opinion on the situation.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuel Hoser For This Useful Post:

dieselshadow (11-29-2012), green and red man (11-29-2012)

17. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Hoser View Post
    I got into work this morning late. I logged onto GTT and this thread was current and active. I laughed out load. I'm late this morning because I stopped and helped someone.
    On my way in I saw a small white car on the side of the road. (It's 30 below this morning and danged dark this time of year) The windows were frosty as I went by I saw movement at the drivers window so I stopped. The woman in the car was terrified of me..... It was so cold and her car had quit. I think her alternator had quit since she had no juice at all. As I walked up she peeked out scared so To help her fear a bit I held up my ID and told her I could help. She had a baby in a car seat and both of them were cold. I got them in my truck to warm up and tried my cell. It's a dead spot for about 5 miles. The solution was I drove her back about 10 miles to her house. As it turns out she's a fairly new neighbor down the road (what a way to meet).
    She told me that several cars had passed by and no one even slowed down much less helped. Sad....Up here it is life or death. Stopping to help is something you do. NO MATTER WHAT. We do not have a requirement for concealed carry permits so assume everyone is packing. I had a 44 special in my pocket just in case. The standard to live by is "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, it will even out somewhere in the middle"
    I'm glad I stopped and I'd do it again on the way home if someone had a problem. I strill have my humanity and will help my fellow Alaskans. I will not be a victim but I WILL NOT be the inhuman bugger that drives by a young family freezing in a car either. Out of fear for some bad guy I lose my humanity. No way!
    You are to be commended! What type of work do you do way up there? How many hours of daylight do you have now?
    JD 2012 3320 end loader, 5' rear cutter, box blade, tiller,artillian forks, Fit rite hydraulic top link, 485 back hoe
    JD 1972 820 diesel Tractor
    JD 2013 Gator 825i.
    JD 2008 GX255 lawn tractor
    JD 1978 400

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ToddM For This Useful Post:

19. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Hoser View Post
    Most people don't know it's the law to help stranded motorists in Alaska. I've helped many people and have had to be helped. Like you said, it can be a matter of life and death there.

People are different there too. Much friendlier than most in America. (Alaskans will sometimes call the lower 48 either America or Outside.)

Sent using Tapatalk.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

21. Top | #10

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks

Alaska

I lived all over the US when I was in the military. Things were very similar in MT. People would stop and help there too. Every truck was well armed so no one did anythig stupid.
    I work at a refinery in AK doing quality assurance work. I make sure fuel is on specification.
    Diesel Shadow is definitely correct. It is law up here to help people. Besides that you do it no matter what.
    As a joke we also call it the Lesser 48 or outside. I have to go down to the lower 48 and I feel way out of place. Recently went to Long Beach CA and stayed at the Hyatt. It wasn't snowy and cold and I missed my truck and my tractor. Oh yeah my wife too
    Life is definitely differernt here and getting stranger and stranger down South. I was in VA during the Sandy event. All I could do was shake my head at how people were not prepared for anything even when warned. Again "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best" Not vice versa. Maybe thats why AK is such a good fit for me. We help each other and don't fear each other.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuel Hoser For This Useful Post:

23. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast