Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to make your own ethanol-free gasoline

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,090 Times in 2,552 Posts

How to make your own ethanol-free gasoline

Interesting article on a MC forum I belong to. The motorcycles have the same problem as the small equipment we all have with the Ethanol.

How to make your own ethanol-free gasoline • GL1000 DIY Articles • goldwingdocs.com
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

Interesting concept

We'll need pics of your attempts to do this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks

I read it Kenny................

and the point where the question was asked "How do you get rid of it?" God when are people going to 'get in the face of our government', and Say "STOP"! We're burning corn that people can eat! We're inflating the price of Beef and Pork, because the Corn is going to the Ethanol Plants to screw up our equipment, and it drove the price of shellcorn from $3- to $7-!!!! ! Maybe I'm senesitive. My son cattle ranches not to far from Kenny. But God! Looked at the price of a pound of Bacon lately? OK rant over...............~Scotty

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scotty370 For This Useful Post:

green and red man (12-03-2012), Kennyd (12-02-2012), rgd (12-07-2012), Soby (12-06-2012)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    This fall ethanol has actually helped out some cattle farmers. The poor hay crop due to lack of rain this year has made any hay REALLY expensive. Well lots of people are baling corn stalks and that isn't great feed. So what some farmers are doing is buying this syrup from the Ethanol plants that is a by-product of the process. If you pour it on the bales it makes them much better for the cattle and it's cheap. Plus cattle, hogs, and any other animals can eat the DDGs that are left over from the Ethanol making process.

8. Top | #5
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Who were the brainiacs that thought of this Ethanol crap in the first place?
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Who were the brainiacs that thought of this Ethanol crap in the first place?
    Well just from memory so feel free to modify my version.

In order to make cleaner burning fuel the federal government and/or various federal agencies approved two substances to treat gasoline with. One was mtbe and the other ethanol. At the time there was no way close to the amount of capacity for making ethanol. Exactly what entity lobied or kind of wrote the text that got passed I can't say. It turned out that mtbe when spilled does some bizzare things when it gets into the ground water. Who knew what and when again I can't say. The gasoline industry got and may well still be getting lawsuits for using a product they really had no option to use. Or no simple option, I suppose they could have synthesized it somehow from something, or ???? I think they are still trying to deal with some problem areas and figuring out exactly what is going on underground. Of course they will use ethanol if at all possible.

In all fairness the protein portion of the corn goes back into livestock feed.

Just from an erosion point of view I don't think it makes sense. I have heard ethanol called a gasoline additive made with diesel fuel, but I think other things go into the fertilizer.

It seems specific strains of corn are preferred for the ethanol and apparently for the switchgrass if that materializes. Rather interesting reading if that kind of stuff interests you.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    What's really idiotic is that the mpg of ethanol is less than gasoline, so an additive is put in to make the fuel "cleaner" (or so someone says), but you need to use more of it. Sort of like diesel cars, diesel puts out more pollutants per gallon, but I use a lot less gallons in my VW diesel.

The worst part of the entire thing is, in Brazil the ethanol is made from sugar cane, which is more efficient than making it from corn. So in the US we use antifreeze to make corn syrup from corn to use in place of sugar to make ethanol, but instead we could actually use SUGAR to make sugar, and use the cane remnants to make ethanol.

I hope that asteroid or rogue planet coming on December 21st hits the reset button to stop this madness.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    I've always wondered what would happen if someone were to take 2 identical cars and convert one to run on E85 and leave the other factory. Simple stuff like raise compression and throw some more timing at it. Ethanol has less BTUs than that of reg fuel, but it also has higher octane. So if you built an engine to take advantage of that I'd like to see just how far off the two are.

I know Brazil grows a lot more Sugar cane and have often wondered what it's needs are. In the USA it's pretty easy to understand why corn was chosen in the first place. It was cheap and plentiful... Now that prices have come up that's not really the case... Another thing to think about is where would the sugar cane be grown? Right now we grow crops in the areas where the soil will support them. So if we were to start growing sugar cane where would it be grown that isn't already being used for another ag product?

I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but I've been to an Ethanol plant and was pretty impressed with it. They buy excess steam from a next door coal fired electric plant and take water from the nearby Missouri River. Nothing was wasted. The by product DDGs were gone before they were made. They also have 4 railroads right near the facility so they have everything covered. Very cool facility and very well thought out. In this area lots of Ethanol plants have folded because they weren't smart about money saving factors.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 636mullet For This Useful Post:

MFreund1 (12-08-2012)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    and the point where the question was asked "How do you get rid of it?" God when are people going to 'get in the face of our government', and Say "STOP"! We're burning corn that people can eat! We're inflating the price of Beef and Pork, because the Corn is going to the Ethanol Plants to screw up our equipment, and it drove the price of shellcorn from $3- to $7-!!!! ! Maybe I'm senesitive. My son cattle ranches not to far from Kenny. But God! Looked at the price of a pound of Bacon lately? OK rant over...............~Scotty

The price of the food is going up because of the price of transportation(diesel fuel) and the Federal Reserve printing money like drunk sailors not because of using corn for fuel.

Since the current administration will not allow any more oil exploration here in America, Ethanol is putting money into farmers pockets instead for paying enemies of America for raw crude oil. I would say that is a good thing.

There are other way to make ethanol, with cellulose ethanol being the most promising. But the Government gave corn ethanol makers tax credits to "be competitive". So there were no incentives for the makers to look for more efficent way of producing ethanol. Now that the the credits have expired we can finally let the free market take over and there will be cheaper ways to make ethanol in the future.

The biggest drawback of Ethanol is it is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. That is a good thing unless you have water in the tanks at the gas station, and the tankers that haul it. To put it bluntly, you are getting sold the water in the tanks at the retailer. Once that is cleaned out the life span will be better. Ethanol takes all the blame, but the blenders of gasoline are the ones giving the consumer the crappy gasoline that everyone buys today. They are selling you all the junk left over from refining so they don't have to pay to get rid of toxic waste. You burn it in your car instead!
    Last edited by MFreund1; 12-08-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    Matt

NRA Life Member

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 636mullet View Post

I know Brazil grows a lot more Sugar cane and have often wondered what it's needs are. In the USA it's pretty easy to understand why corn was chosen in the first place. It was cheap and plentiful... Now that prices have come up that's not really the case... Another thing to think about is where would the sugar cane be grown? Right now we grow crops in the areas where the soil will support them. So if we were to start growing sugar cane where would it be grown that isn't already being used for another ag product?

The US used to grow lots of sugar cane as well, but when the govt buys sugar plantations for $1.75 billion and turns them into swamps, it tends to cut down on production.

Florida to buy chunk of Everglades from sugar firm | Reuters
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast