Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Insurance Change

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks

Insurance Change

It's time for us to leave State Farm. We have homeowners, auto, life, some supplemental plans, etc... Where should we look? I'm planning on looking at what we need overall, so I need an agent that can work with us. Which of the bigger carriers should we look at, or should we go with an independent?

I realize that this is a pretty open question. I'm really just looking for good experiences with companies other than SF.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Eerie has been fantastic for us here in East TN.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 959 Posts
    We just switched from Travelers to Allstate for our home, auto and RV. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with anyone other than our agent as we haven't had a.......not gonna say it.

We saved several hundred dollars per year by switching. Good Luck
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    We just switched from Travelers to Allstate for our home, auto and RV. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with anyone other than our agent as we haven't had a.......not gonna say it.

We saved several hundred dollars per year by switching. Good Luck
    huh-here in pa., travelers ins. is way cheaper than allstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    It's time for us to leave State Farm. We have homeowners, auto, life, some supplemental plans, etc... Where should we look? I'm planning on looking at what we need overall, so I need an agent that can work with us. Which of the bigger carriers should we look at, or should we go with an independent?

I realize that this is a pretty open question. I'm really just looking for good experiences with companies other than SF.
    i have been with nationwide since 1976, just afraid to switch, yrs ago we got a quote from travelers, and i about fell on the floor because how much cheaper they was over nationwide. didn't switch as i believe the agent wasn't putting all of the same coverage on his policy as we had at the time. still have nationwide for everything, even life ins. good luck bubber. what made u mad at state farm, if i may ask?
    ColonyPark, Bubber and Ray_PA like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:37 AM
    Thanks

Call me synical....

We were with Allstate 20+ years, got all good driver discounts, had home owners, extra liability, and we're pretty happy. Last year did a comparison with State Farm and found them to about $400 less per year on auto with the same coverages so switched.

Here's my synical rant: I think over time insurance companies gradually raise rates on "good" customers because they (the customers) become comfortable, confident, and it's too much hassle to keep an eye on competitive rates/services. The "good" customers become cash cows to be milked. So in the future I plan to test rates periodically ....unless I become too comfortable, confident, and lazy to check around.

There I feel better.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    I agree that any of them seem to continually increase their rates hoping you will not notice the increase and maybe think it is just a normal increase. It pays to shop around. I had a particular company for years that began when I was still working. We were supposed to be getting a discount. A few years ago, I decided to shop around and found another company that was half the price, so changed. Now they have went up also, so I changed again earlier this year.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    what made u mad at state farm, if i may ask?
    We got a letter from our agent stating that our auto was going to be cancelled due to our youngest son not being listed as a driver on one of our vehicles. All household members must be listed on at least one vehicle as a driver. Thing is that our son doesn't live at home. In fact, he has his own auto and renters insurance through our agent. When pressed on the issue, our agent claimed that he had no way to know that our son had moved out, even though he did his renters insurance.

We received a letter that stated "for our convenience" they would be removing our fixed deductible on our home policy and replacing it with a percentage of repair deductible with no cap. This would save us almost $40 per year on our premium! We had to call to opt-out of this change, if we did not, it would take affect automatically. Remember, if we make a claim, we lose our no-claim discount, so we have incentive to not make claims in the first place.

I could go on and on.
    BigJim55 and DeereNC like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,413 Posts
    We have had Nationwide since 1988. I had never had vehicle insurance in my own name. Vehicles were insured through the business name. No one would write a policy for me, except Nationwide. I will stay with them until the agent retires or I start taking care of the grass from the underside. Loyalty is very important to me and for that reason I will stay. When she retires, I will look to USAA.

While we're talking about insurance, make sure to notify your agent when your tractor is paid off so that Deere is no longer listed as a loss payable.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,060 Times in 2,225 Posts
    I've had Erie Insurance for 25+ years now for everything. Every once in a while I shop the price but nobody can come even close to what I am paying. Actually it's quite amazing how low my auto rates are. Also I am "grandfathered" in on their old program - once you are a customer for 15 years you never pay a surcharge for an at-fault accident ever again. That program went away years ago.

Just for example, for my 2009 F-150 FX4 I pay more for the comprehensive insurance than I do the collision (both $500 deductible).

But what a lot of people don't look at is the "service after the sale" so to speak - you can't shop for insurance on price alone. In those 25 years we've had 2 major auto claims and a couple comprehensive (deer hits). Everything was handled quickly and professionally. My most recent claim when I had $9800 damage to my old pickup - the other driver at fault but his insurance tried to put 33% of the fault on me. I just turned it over to my insurance - they fixed my truck right away and fought with the other insurance on my behalf. All came out perfectly in the end plus got reimbursed for a 4WD rental.

Insurance is only as good as how it is at claim time.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,581 Posts
    Had State Farm for over 25 yrs, seemed like a price increase every 6 mo to a year. Switched to AARP The Hartford Auto and MetLife home oh and I thought Sate Farm was bad for rate increases. When I switched saved about $400 a year between the 2 compainies, at the end was paying about about $1500.00 more a year.

Switched to Erie about 4-5 yrs ago,and SAVED Right at $1300-1500.00 a year. Have been paying within pennies of what I was paying at the beginning. Car insurance went down close to $75.00 a year when we bought the new Subie, and home owners policy has raised maybe $20 over the past 4-5 yrs.
    Oh and I have a $35000 rider for Deere and Honda Pioneer. Well forgot Erie is now putting those items on Home owners policy instead of having a rider policy.

We hit a deer months after going to Erie and I thought OH BOY rate increase NOPE.

Which I had found them years ago.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast