Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: I need "Lost & Found" advice...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 AM
    Thanks

I need "Lost & Found" advice...

The other morning I was about the drive through a 4-way stop intersection. As I was approaching the intersection I could see something sitting right smack in the middle of it. It turned out to be a 5 gallon tool bucket, complete with a nice liner and full of a bunch of tools - probably fell out of the back of some guy's truck. People were just driving around it so I stopped and picked up all the stuff. It turns out there was even a receipt in the road for a couple of small tools that were in the bucket. He'd just been at the hardware store.

The intersection was in an area where two different local jurisdictions basically come together. One my way home I stopped by the police station for one of the jurisdictions and left my name and phone number with a police officer in case someone called about the tools. Once home, I called the other PD and left the same info. I also placed an ad in 3 different sections of CraigsList with enough description that the guy who lost them should recognize them, but not enough that someone scamming will be able to answer questions about what I found. I also checked CL this morning for any "Lost" ads.

This all took place on Wednesday morning and as of yet I haven't had anyone reply to CL or any calls from the PD. Does anyone have any other ideas for anything else I could do to contact the rightful owner? Going to the hardware store with the tool receipt won't do any good as it was a cash purchase and no "rewards ID" or anything else identifying on it. And the store is large/impersonal enough that even if they had surveillance, chances are that no one would recognize the customer. Also, no initials or name marked on any of the tools that I pulled out of the bucket.

Maybe I should just go through the entire tool bucket and add it to my collection?
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    First off, good for you for trying to do the right thing.

Two, it sounds like you've gone through multiple steps to try and help the original owner recover their property. I don't know what the appropriate time frame is, (maybe a few weeks?) but once that is reached, I would say finder keepers.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 961 Posts
    I think you have done a good job so far. I was going to suggest going to the hardware store and maybe they would recognize the purchase and it might be one of their regular customers, but that seems like it won't work. Any local newspapers you could put an ad in? Otherwise, I would just sit tight for a while before adding it to my tool collection. It's kind of sad that in today's world, the poor person who lost them probably figures they were scarfed up and nobody would try to do what you are doing. Kudos to you.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    The hardware store might have video of the guy making the purchase and might even have video of his truck. If you can get a plate number you can give that to the police and they can contact him. The police can't give you his name or address in case you are a crazy stalker.

Otherwise after about 30 days they are likely yours. Thanks for trying, I'd be sick if I lost my tools.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Sounds like you tried your best to do the right thing. IMO ,if no replies in 2-3 weeks you have some new tools.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    I agree with the others, sounds like you've done all you reasonably can. I'd give it a couple of weeks and then consider them yours.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 AM
    Thanks
    You made a 'Good Faith' effort and I'm sure karma will catch up to you. I agree - in 30-60 days they are yours.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    Good job mark02tj.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Thanks
    You are a good man! I had an empty gas can, one of the old ones without all that bs air pollution stuff fall out of my truck and went back a minute later to pick it up and gone. I know who got it but can't prove it.
    etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    I live near several lakes. In the summer you can find life jackets along the road that blow out of boats. Once I found a boat gas tank in the road. I stopped and moved it off the road. Next day it was gone. Don't know if owner got it or not.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast