Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Recommendation for a new camera

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-11-2018 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks

Recommendation for a new camera

Ok, NOT sure if this is the best place to ask this, but will throw it out there and see ??
    I am looking for a new camera, something simple basic, but with a decent zoom, auto focus plus manual, I am looking for a lower cost quality camera, as I am hard on things and don't get many yrs out of a camera, they rattle about in my truck, on my atv and so on?
    I had a Kodak easyshare Z712IS for the past 7-8 yrs that held up pretty good and OK on pic's all but low light where it sucked, But a few weeks ago it fell off my deck and hasn't worked right since, so, need a new camera?

can anyone suggest one, I only use it for taking pic's of critters mostly, and many times low light, so a plus would be if it worked better there(NO flash, as most things are past flash range) wishing for at least a 12x optical zoom and more on digital, more optical zoom would be nice as again things can be OUT there a ways
    SO< any suggestions and again, NOT looking for super quality, just a decent camera for a value price not a top shelf model??
    Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-11-2018 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks

Recommendation for a new camera?

Thanks, I have helped tag/trap and even mount a bunch of bears over the yrs, so, I have pretty good grip on estimating them, 30+ yrs of being closely about bears, you get some good feel for there size
    but I still admit, angle of view, light conditions and distance can sure make it hard on judging a bear, they just have so many features that differ from one to another, seen BIG bears with BIG ears and small, and long legs and short , there just odd critters to guess weight and size on , unless you have things to really compare them to
    but yes, I say this guy will break 600 lbs as is, and come fall, he will be a a good 100-150+ more so long as he makes it

anyone have any suggestions on a camera??
    as again I am looking for a new one?
    and mean hand held, NOT trail cam
    all the above pic's were taking with my Kodak as mentioned in my above post!?

Open to suggestion as I am NOT that well versed in camera's>/

4. Top | #3
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Are you looking for a good point and shoot pocket camera?

Do you have a Costco nearby and you're a member?
    We just bought one of our daughters a FinePix XP90 | Fujifilm Global
    I haven't had a chance to review pictures off of it.

Another daughter has a Nikon COOLPIX S7000 | Read Reviews, Tech Specs, Price & More
    it does pretty good. It is not waterproof however. Costco has a great return policy if you aren't satisfied.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    You really can't go wrong with Nikon, Canon, Fuji, or Panasonic. They each offer so many choices it's hard to recommend one. The best thing to do is to go to each manufacturer's site and look at the specs. Most of them will allow you to bring up a page with comparisons on a couple models.

With that said, since going digital with my photography hobby, I've used Pentax DSLR high end gear and lenses. But because of the weight and the lack of ambition for it the past couple years, I got myself a higher end point & shoot after more than a year of research. I ended up going with a Fujifilm x30.

With any camera there are compromises in the professional world as well as the P&S world. Sticking to the P&S's, there are just so many choices. Don't get hung up on megapixel count - even a 10mp camera can produce a stunning print at 8x10. Concentrate on the lens. Usually the longer the lens (zoom magnification) the less the quality of the image unless you want to spend some serious money. Being my photography is 99% for wildlife I had a hard time choosing a small camera. I wanted something much smaller than a DSLR body. All the manufacturers I mentioned above have what they call a "bridge" camera which is basically the size of a DSLR but with a fixed lens with ultra long zooms.

I ended up choosing the x30 because of features and lens quality and speed. The lens is only a 28mm-112mm (4x) but when you start getting more zoom power than that the lens gets slower and will offer more distortion.

There are threads on this very subject on photography forums that will go on for years and be hundreds of pages long - and it will never end as there are new cameras coming out many times a year. The best thing you can do is make yourself a list of priorities (zoom length, lens speed, features, and body size) then start looking around. But be ready to compromise on something. Photography itself in itself is a craft of compromises......
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (01-22-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    I have a Sony Cyber-Shot for many years now. It takes good pictures and is easy to use.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    I also had a Kodak for many years. Dropped it in a mud puddle and it never worked again. Bought one of these: Nikon Coolpix S33 13 2MP Waterproof Shock Freezeproof Digital Camera White 018208264957 | eBay

BUT my android phone takes just as good pics and I rarely use the other camera since I usually have my phone at hand.
    meburdick likes this.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=coaltrain;938634] I ended up going with a Fujifilm x30.

Don't get hung up on megapixel count -QUOTE]

Coaltrain makes a good point about the glass. Once you engineer the sensors and the electronics...they just get less expensive.
    What you can't drive the price down for is good lenses. The glass is what counts. Find a Canon, Fuji and Nikon point and shoot or "mirrorless" camera with a lens made by Canon, Fuji or Nikon. If they are putting their own glass on the camera you'll be happy with the resolution and lack of distortion. I've got a Fuji X-E1 with a few Fuji lenses. It is shocking how clear the images are. The X30 sounds pretty sweet.
    Zebrafive and coaltrain like this.
    4320 Tractor
    400X FEL
    485 Backhoe
    Forks, Boxblade, 550 Tiller, Auger
    X530 Mower

11. The Following User Says Thank You to briansims For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (01-22-2018)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 02:23 PM
    Thanks
    I've had several Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, or Panasonic cameras over the last 15 years. I also look for a decent point and shoot with a good set of optics and zoom. Most point and shoots die when the lens system gets jammed up with dirt and debris. Right now I'm using an Canon 24 optical zoom for work (peronal camera) and a Pentax K10D (I think) digital SLR for better optics.
    Jason

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Sensor size is more important than mega pixels. For a point and shoot, I think 7-12mp is the sweet spot. "Oh, but that's so low...." Maybe, but a fully exposed medium resolution image in low light beats a blurry mess because the ISO was raised way up to try to see for the capture.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrmn View Post
    BUT my android phone takes just as good pics and I rarely use the other camera since I usually have my phone at hand.
    These phones have really taken over the P&S camera market. I don't know how they do it with such a tiny lens. But this seems to be the way of the masses. And even Adobe (Photoshop maker) has made applications just for phones for enhancing images.

But when you don't have a phone that that fits in your pocket or not tethered.......

Phones are for talking - cameras are for image capture.
    RandyM likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast