A Memorial Late Model Short Track Race in Honor of a Great Guy and Special Friend.
Race and Broadcast are Scheduled for 7 pm EST, Wednesday, June 8th, 2016

Some of you may recall last April when I posted a special thread about a very good friend who was killed in a Bizarre Accident at the Walt Disney World Speedway in Florida. My friend, Gary Terry, was the Operations Manager at Richard Petty Motorsports and the Driving Experience at Walt Disney World. In April of 2015, he was riding in the passenger seat of a Lamborghini Gallardo at the Walt Disney World speedway, providing driving instructions to a young man who had rented the car to drive in celebration of his birthday.

As they came around one of the corners, the young man lost control of the High Performance sports car and almost immediately, the car slammed into the end of a guardrail on the infield of the track, killing Gary almost immediately. The driver suffered minor injuries and was treated and released at the area hospital. The accident was thoroughly investigated by the Florida Highway patrol and is was determined that it was an accident and no criminal charges were filed.

The car was a factory stock Lamborghini Gallardo and while the driver and Gary were wearing safety belts and crash helmets, it did not contain any of the special roll cage or safety equipment which is contained in the other vehicles which Gary Drove and rode in at the Richard Petty driving Experience.

Gary left behind his lovely wife, Kathy and their 3 year old (now 4 years old) daughter Taylor. Kathy and Taylor are here beginning today through Saturday to support the race in Gary's memory, which is being held at the Kalamazoo Speedway in the Kalamazoo, Michigan area, which Gary considered his home track. For any of you who are Late Model short track racing fans, this event promises to be one you don't want to miss.

Gary was a very accomplished and skilled race car driver who was also a very fine man and great husband and father. I have known Gary since he was a teenager and was fortunate enough to have been able to call Gary a friend. His parents are extremely close friends of Mrs. Bear and I.

The race, which is scheduled to begin at 7pm on Wednesday, June 8th, 2016, has a field of drivers from several states and includes NASCAR driver David Stremme, is being broadcast on channel "Speed 51". It is also available to be watched as a Pay per View event on the Internet on "Speed 51.com". I am told that the channel "Speed 51 is" available in some Dish TV, DirecTV and Cable Providers.

Gary's younger brother Adam Terry is racing in the race to honor his brother. Both Adam and Gary were regulars at the Kalamazoo Speedway and racing Late Models. The race practice session today is also serving as a Canned Food gathering opportunity for local food banks as the admission for the practice sessions is a donation of at least 2 canned goods per person.

The following is a link to the race track's website for more information about this race. I am also including links to the website of Speed 51 as well as a link to the Orlando Sentinel news story about Gary Terry's tragic accident.

For any of you who are short track racing fans, this race is expected to be very, very good. Incidentally, the race track at Walt Disney World was closed following Gary's death and the entire track has since been demolished and removed from the Disney Facility. Disney turned the prior race track facility into parking for visitors to Walt Disney World.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this information. Sulley

Link to Kalamazoo Speedway website about this race;

http://www.kalamazoospeedway.com/201...azoo-speedway/

Link to Speed Channel 51;

Speed 51 | 100% Short Track Racing

News Stories regarding Gary's Tragic Accident from the Orlando Sentinel;

Disney crash death: Victim Gary Terry called 'great father' - Orlando Sentinel

Cause of death in Disney speedway crash released - Orlando Sentinel