Jet "Buying Service" for many Consumer Items
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Jet "Buying Service" for many Consumer Items

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts

Jet "Buying Service" for many Consumer Items

Many of us (except Gizmo....) pay attention to what we spend on consumables (groceries, paper towels, detergent, etc.) and are frequently looking for deals and ways to save money. My wife and I use the company at the link below for many items and have found the service and savings to be great. Here is a link to their site.

https://jet.com/

From time to time each of you have probably seen the Television ads for "Jet" home delivery service, where in the ads when the various people learn of the savings from using the "Jet" service, their heads explode and purple powder comes out the top of it. Now I will say the ads are so bizarre, and apparently "Mind Blowing" (pun fully intended) that I never seriously considered the product or service which was being advertised.

One night, I went onto the "Jet" website to look at their product offerings and prices. First off, they sell pretty much everything you can buy in the grocery store except frozen items and "fresh" foods like meats, vegetables, etc. Mrs. Bear is EXTREMELY FRUGAL when it comes to spending money on items which are consumable. She will consider non brand names, etc., as long as the quality is proven good. She won't buy "generic" if the quality is inferior. She spends far more time on these issues than I ever would.

My canine kids, Sulley, Chloe Belle and Beasely, go through dog treats and chewies like they were free, probably because they are free in their view.. Also, everyday when we walk through our neighborhood, Mrs. Bear makes a little snack sized zip lock bag for each of the dogs in our neighborhood and she puts them in their mailboxes. So we go through about 24 Extra Large Milk bones and about 16 oz of "Snaps" and other treats, Each DAY, based upon each individual dogs size and liking. It's funny because we know all of the dogs by name and several wait for us each day to get their treats in person. But we don't know the dogs owners names in all cases. Mrs. Bear does get permission (via email) from each dog's "parent" in order for them to receive treats and there are a couple of dogs who have special dietary issues so Mrs. Bear orders special treats just for these dogs.

I would bet we spend $150 a month (or more, My wife knows exactly but told me not to concern myself with these details) on dog treats between our own kids and those for all of the neighbor dogs. I think there are 26 dogs on our daily route.........It is something my wife really likes doing and she looks forward each day to seeing these dogs and petting the ones who wait for us to visit. The other dogs get their treats placed in their mailbox and some of the dogs even recycle the zip lock bags each day and put the empty bags in the mailbox for us to pick up the next day. We walk everyday, rain, snow, you name it. And when the weather is severe enough to not walk, Mrs. Bear will drive around and deliver the treats. Hey, what can I say, we love dogs...........

So, I began looking at the prices for things like dog treats, paper towels, toilet paper, zip lock bags, etc. The prices for these items on "Jet" are almost always much better than our local stores which include "Meijers" or "Walmart". In many cases, their prices are even the same to or lower than Costco and Sam's but of course, you don't have to go to the store to get the stuff. Actually, Jet offers many of the "Costco" and "Sam's" private label stuff like their laundry detergent, paper products and store brand chemicals. All of the shipping is free and the more you order of each item, the lower the price is on the items.

For example, our canine kids just love these rawhide rolled treats which are called Busy Bone's Roll hides. They come 3 to a package and our local stores sell these for anywhere from $2.99 to $3.49 per pack. Through "Jet", when I order 10 packs at a time, the price per pack has gotten as low as $2.59. My wife has built a spreadsheet in Excel to compare all of the prices on the items we frequently buy. Overall, our typical order from "Jet" saves about 9% to 18% off of the best local store price.

All shipping is FREE if you order $35 or more, which is easy to do. For those of you who live in rural settings, "Coaltrain" comes to mind, along with numerous others, the delivery takes 2 days on about 95% of their items. When you order, it says on each item whether or not Jet stocks the item or whether they will have to drop ship the item, which can add a couple of days to the delivery time. But you will know before ordering how long it is going to take to get the vast majority of items. In all of our orders we have had two items which were drop shipped from outside vendors and they were both "special diet" dog treats that I haven 't even seen in the stores.

We order everything from Pop Tarts, breakfast cereal, dog food, snack bars to chips to dog stuff, laundry soap, paper towels, canned goods, even all of the personal items needed like sprays, powders, teeth stuff, you name it. I haven't found a common brand name product yet they don't carry.

Check it out. Super easy to use, great prices and FREE SHIPPING. The more you order, the lower your price per item and they offer special reward programs for repeat shoppers. There is a special coupon for 1st time orders who get an additional 15% off your total.

This is the ONLY App which I have set up on my smart phone for "buying" items. Reordering is so easy that all you have to do is pull up your prior orders, re order the items and quantities you want and hit send and bingo you are done. We like to patronize local business whenever possible for purchases as we are small business owners ourselves. But many of these items we now order from Jet and we get all of the fresh stuff and other items locally from a mom and pop store which is very convenient.

I encourage any of you to check this out. I was skeptical at first but it works great. They are excellent at shipping packing as well. For example, all of the laundry detergents are sealed in huge zip lock bags so as to not smell up the other items in the boxes and they even have special seals on the lids and caps to keep them from spilling during shipment. I can honestly say we have not had one item or delivery which has disappointed us.

My best friends lovely wife has severe anxiety issues and doesn't like to shop in grocery stores. I suggested she try this so she wouldn't either have to send her husband or take him along everything she shops and they have found this is a great help to them. As my friend said, "I would be willing to pay MORE for these items so we don't have to go get them, but in fact, the items are actually cheaper AND they deliver them right to our front door."

Just a tip as they have a massive selection of products. If you want to compare "Cheerio's", don't enter "breakfast cereals" as there are hundreds of choices. Just enter "Cheerio's" and they will show you the sizes and prices and the different manufacturers options. Also, it's important that you know the size of the stuff you typically purchase as they have every size available and you want to be able to compare "apples to apples" to really make sure you are comparing the same size of items when considering the myriad of choices. Otherwise, it can almost be overwhelming when considering all of the choices.

You can select by size, quantity, etc. and they have millions of items to choose from. Once you get it set up and determine what size you want, reordering couldn't be easier.......

If you have any questions about this feel free to ask me. And just for disclosure purposes, I don't own this company nor do I work for them but I am considering buying stock in this company as I think this company has great growth potential. And when ever we can save money on "staple" items, it gives us more money for TOYS...........Something to consider..........

https://jet.com/
    DRobinson, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 AM
    Thanks
    THANKS for posting this, Sulley! You are a man whose opinion I have come to respect so I will definitely check them out. Quite honestly, with the "mind blowing commercials", I probably wouldn't have checked them out.

I'm just amazed at what I can get online. One of the things I have to order (for my parents) is adult incontinence supplies. I now use Amazon for that and it saves me about $3/pkg plus I can have them delivered straight to my parents' apartment. I've also ordered some other household stuff for me from Amazon. Love the convenience - but like you - I still try to patronize the local businesses when I can.
    DRobinson, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (06-19-2016)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    My SIL uses "JET",, we have not used it ,,, yet,,,
    Most on-line purchases have been Amazon,,, but,,, our grandchildren moved in next door last year.

I am now addicted to buying toys directly from China through eBay.
    A pull-back motorized truck for my grandson for less than $1.50 delivered is a deal.

The two week wait is meaningless when it comes to toys.
    Yea, these are all disposable,,,
    but, it is WAY better than spending $5.00 or more for the identical thing from Amazon.

Anything I can order direct from China,,, I do.
    I do not think my total purchases have exceeded $30,,, yet,,,,

It has been a LOT of toys for the amount of money spent,,,,
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (06-19-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:09 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    My wife has built a spreadsheet in Excel to compare all of the prices on the items we frequently buy. Overall, our typical order from "Jet" saves about 9% to 18% off of the best local store price.
    IME, you really have to do the spreadsheet thing and figure out which items are a deal and which ones aren't.

You mentioned the PopTarts and that's one item where I've found Jet to be a better deal than other places.

But some other items we use are cheaper elsewhere. Tide Sport laundry detergent in the 72oz bottle is $1 more expensive on Jet than it is at Walmart and $3 more expensive than it is at BJ's. Jet sells a 4-pack of Tostitos chips "Party Size" (18oz) bag for $14.24. BJ's sells 2-packs for $5 so I can buy 2 of those for $10, get the same total amount and save $4.24.

So like anything else, it pays to compare. You have to do your homework but if you are willing to put in some time, Jet Can save you some real money.
    Levi, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Thanks for posting this SulleyBear.

We buy everything we can on-line. Mostly because not much of a selection is available here and also the price. Amazon has been great for fulfilling our needs. And I don't do the "prime" thing - I refuse to pay a company money to buy from them. Our purchasing volume comes no where near the break even point - we just wait until we have the minimum order for free shipping.

But groceries have been tough. The only place is WalMart. While their prices on some stuff is OK their selection is terrible. I've looked at Amazon Pantry many times doing comparisons but a lot of their prices are worse than what we pay.

My inlaws always comment on the food prics around here. When Mrs. C was more able to drive she would make an overnight trip to their place and incorporate a grocery run. Since her car gets 49mpg the trip itself was a non-issue.

Also Mrs. C. Has always been the coupon queen - but there are very little grocery coupons available to us anymore. Heck at one time it was worth her while to actually buy coupons on ebay but for some reason ebay put a stop to that a couple years ago.

I've never even been to the jet site - after seeing a couple of their ads on TV I made a point to avoid it. But now with your endorsement I will check it out.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (06-19-2016)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Thanks
    Does Jet.com still charge $49.99 for yearly membership?
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I just looked at their FAQ which said membership is free.

I'm tying to figure it out - it says you must be a "member" to make purchases but that "membership" is free. Why would you have to be a member? I'm usually hesitant when it comes to stuff like this.....looks like a lot of reading to be done if I do this - reading all the fine print to be sure a "membership" fee isn't hidden somewhere or charged later.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I have never paid any membership fees. Perhaps when they started, which I am not sure how long ago that was, but we have been ordering the last several months and no fees and no shipping if you hit the $35 minimum order amount.

Once you buy, you have an "account" which makes tracking your orders and reordering very easy, but as far as membership goes, I haven't paid anything and wouldn't.

I use a "prepaid" card for online purchases as I don't want any of my actual bank information linked to any accounts which I use for purchases because of all of the "data breaches" which seem to never end. The card I use is funded for the amount of the purchase only with a $5 margin and we only fund the card when we are going to make a purchase. So if a company were to come back and try and hit the account for any extra money for fees or whatever, there intentionally is not any money on the card.

We don't have any credit cards and haven't for a very long time. This card is actually funded with cash so there is no way to access other accounts or pull funds from any account. I HATE surprises and you hear stories all of the time about something happening where a retailer or any business doing online commerce comes back and takes money from the account and then people spend the time straightening it out with the waste of time and frustration involved.

We are very wary of leaving records of all of our transactions and every move we make, which occurs when people make the majority of their purchases with credit or debit cards. Also, paying in cash makes the transaction much more real, instead of merely swiping a card and putting in a P.I.N. number. People tell us all of the time that it is "impossible" to live without credit or debit cards. While they may believe that, we do it every day and have for a long, long time.

The 'Jet" ads are so annoying that I wouldn't have considered them based upon their TV marketing campaign. But it seems like more and more ads are less relevant to their actual business and I watch so little TV with commercials now that I don't see near as many ads as I used to. Other than Bloomberg, Fox News and whatever channel racing is on, I avoid channels with commercials like a plague.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 06-19-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added content
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    My SIL uses "JET",, we have not used it ,,, yet,,,
    Most on-line purchases have been Amazon,,, but,,, our grandchildren moved in next door last year.

I am now addicted to buying toys directly from China through eBay.
    A pull-back motorized truck for my grandson for less than $1.50 delivered is a deal.

The two week wait is meaningless when it comes to toys.
    Yea, these are all disposable,,,
    but, it is WAY better than spending $5.00 or more for the identical thing from Amazon.

Anything I can order direct from China,,, I do.
    I do not think my total purchases have exceeded $30,,, yet,,,,

It has been a LOT of toys for the amount of money spent,,,,

I have yet to purchase anything directly from China, but I have looked around on the Alibaba website (or whatever it is called) and often, the prices shown for the items are significantly less expensive than Amazon, etc. While many I have looked at have minimum quantities and were more directed at the wholesale market, the unit costs still are almost hard to believe in many cases.

A friend of mine who spent his career in the plastic injection molding business began collecting the McDonald's Happy Meal plastic toys when they first came out (and it helps he has 5 grand kids, but he always bought an extra meal or two so he would have toys for his office). Over the years, he made it a point to collect every toy he could get to use them as demonstration pieces for his engineering and sales department to show how quality products, some with expensive details to tool and run, could be produced to be a "give away" in McDonald's meal kits and marketing program. He also used them to show the progress which was occurring in the China plastic toy market as their capabilities evolved.

At one time, a company he acquired already owned a plastic injection molding facility in Monterrey, Mexico. They made large toys, like the plastic tables and chairs and ride on toys for toddlers, etc. When he first bought the company, the quality of the product coming out of Mexico was scary bad. They used very little technology and in fact, I was very surprised when I first visited the plant to see they didn't use lift trucks to move finished products and instead, had employees pushing carts up and down the street from one building to another. He really had trouble getting the quality that he desired out of that plant until he instituted major changes, but it was surprising how they produced products for years profitably even under their prior methods of operation.

Based upon the ratio of total production employees to gross revenues that we used, the plants in the U.S. which produced the same sales volumes as the Monterrey factory had about 1/7th the total employees. Granted, there were and remain significant differences in wages, regulatory costs, etc.

Now, much of these items are made in China and there is even a shift of many plastic and die cast production facilities going on presently where Vietnam has become much more competitive labor wise and is attracting business away from China.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I ordered my 48" Warn blade from Jet. With the 15% order discount, it's cost was under $100, delivered FAST & FREE.
    I now order more product from JET.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast