• 3 Post By DRobinson
  • 1 Post By green and red man

Thread: Childhood memories

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks

Childhood memories

What are some of your favorite or most memorable childhood memories?

I probably can come up with several, but will have to cut it short for now.

Always enjoyed watching a local farmer, Mr Hankins when he'd drive one of his tractors from town to plow or bale hay. Think he only owned Farmalls. I'd get my toy tractors out and pretend that I was helping him. When the wheat was being combined, man, I really loved the smell of it. That was usually always in late May.

Another one was when my family would all go to a small town to visit the little grocery store on the weekends. That little store closed many years ago, but the building is still there. Sometimes my brother and I would get to have a frozen ice cream bar, either banana or chocolate I think. We'd go outside and watch to see if a freight train was going to come down the tracks, while enjoying our frozen treats. I was always looking for tractors and combines too.

Uncle Wayne likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 12:52 PM
    Thanks
    Going to my grandparents. Which is my first Deere experience. Used to mow 4 acres all summer on this 110 !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jd110-old.jpg  
    Uncle Wayne likes this.
    1967 John Deere 110 (round fender) tiller & Model 80 Cart
    2010 John Deere 2305, 200cx loader and 62" MMM, 54" blower, I-Match

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    My folks had a 110 when I was kid. Dad somehow made a sicklemower with maybe a 4' bar work on the back of it. I used to mow anything I could get to with it on their farm. Always loved to watch stuff work because back then nothing really had shields on it. You could see every shaft turning every belt. No it wasn't safe, but hey I've got all 10 fingers and toes. So for all the safety guys I say "Scoreboard" just kidding! Lucky is more like it.

The first real tractor I "Drove" was a 4520 and I was young enough I don't really remember it. Dad had to remind me not to watch the front tire, but to look way ahead so I didn't wonder back and forth so much. I do remember the 4640 a lot more. Spent countless hours in that.

Uncle Wayne likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Going to work with my Dad at his John Deere dealership. I have been bleeding green since I was seven years old.

Don
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    My family would go visit my grandmother in Oklahoma. Dad would get off work on a Friday and we'd drive for several hours. Often times we'd just take the pickup and that meant my brother and I would ride in the truck bed the whole way. It wasn't that bad until we drove through a thunderstorm.

It was always nice to finally arrive at grandmother's house. Sometimes it was well after midnight when we got there. Sure loved waking up around 9:30 am to the sound of a freight train tooting it's horns. I'd jump up and go to the door or window and look outside to count the number of train cars.

After I got a little older, when we'd visit there, my dad would take my brother and myself fishing. He had permission to fish on some of the nearby ranches. I wasn't used to walking that distance across all those fields, but it sure was fun just to be out there in the country. We'd come across old wagon tracks that had been there 100 years or more.
    There was one pond we'd fish at and it was located way out in the middle of one large pasture. One morning we had set out a trot line and came back that afternoon to check it. I kept smelling an unfamiliar odor and was looking around to find the source. The cows had trampled the soil around the water's edge really well. There were deep hoof prints all over. After I walked further around one side of the pond, I came upon a dark liquid that was just beginning to make its way into the water. Black Gold, Texas Tea. What I had smelled was raw oil.

Uncle Wayne likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements