They Flew the Coop - What's the Average Distance to Your Offspring?
Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By briansims
  • 2 Post By BigJim55
  • 2 Post By klunker
  • 2 Post By JimR
  • 3 Post By Bill Berger
  • 2 Post By PikeCoGreenTractorMan

Thread: They Flew the Coop - What's the Average Distance to Your Offspring?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks

They Flew the Coop - What's the Average Distance to Your Offspring?

It kind of crept up on me--four kids all doing their own things. Then my 26 year old son tells me he just bought a one-way ticket to New Zealand and he's walking the 1,800 mile Te Ararao trail. I looked it up. He will be 7,200 miles away from me.
    My daughter is going to San Diego to get her masters in architecture. That's 1,255 miles away. My oldest is starting a triple-cream yogurt company in San Francisco. That's about 800 miles. My youngest daughter is breaking into the trade unions in Seattle. Only 60 miles away.

That mean the average distance between me and my offspring will be 2,300 miles. I am so proud of all my kids, but I get choked up just writing that number--2,300 miles.

How about yours? Close to home or half way around the world?
    Last edited by briansims; 06-24-2016 at 10:00 PM.
    Tomfive and BigJim55 like this.
    4320 Tractor
    400X FEL
    485 Backhoe
    Forks, Boxblade, 550 Tiller, Auger
    X530 Mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    brainsims--well the oldest son is about 45miles from me. after he came home from the air force he lived in our basement, till he bought a house and got married, that took from 2004 till 2015-11 yrs living off the old man, ah-yeah his mother too i didn't mind it to bad, he took care of my vehicles and even helped on the tractors when wrenches needed turned, so it worked out ok.

now the youngest moved out right after graduation, he's been married once, and it did not work out at all. he lives maybe 10 miles from us, so both of our boys family is close.
    Tomfive and briansims like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks
    Got one in Ohio, 372 miles,
    one in Las Vegas, 1523,
    and one in San Diego serving his country, 1747,
    Average of 1214 miles from home.

Miss them all

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    This has changed greatly for me over the years. My son is in the military and will be retiring this summer. He was stationed in Korea and Germany at different times along with multiple tours in Iraq and Afganistan and one down to Guantanamo Bay. Right now, he's in North Carolina.

My daughter was living down on Oklahoma where she had gone to college. She stayed there for 9 years after graduating.

So between them, for a long time the average would have been in the 3,000-4,000 mile range I guess. But my daughter just moved up here last week and is living with me until she finds a place. So with her now being 0 miles away, that average just plummeted to about 600 miles.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    I reckon' mine were born with broken wings.
    They both live next to us in their own places, with two grandbabies next to us also.
    (the advantages of having enough acreage to start ones own small town, lol).
    Tomfive, 5304 and briansims like this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by briansims View Post
    It kind of crept up on me--four kids all doing their own things. Then my 26 year old son tells me he just bought a one-way ticket to New Zealand and he's walking the 1,800 mile Te Ararao trail. I looked it up. He will be 7,200 miles away from me.
    My daughter is going to San Diego to get her masters in architecture. That's 1,255 miles away. My oldest is starting a triple-cream yogurt company in San Francisco. That's about 800 miles. My youngest daughter is breaking into the trade unions in Seattle. Only 60 miles away.

That mean the average distance between me and my offspring will be 2,300 miles. I am so proud of all my kids, but I get choked up just writing that number--2,300 miles.

How about yours? Close to home or half way around the world?
    brian - another way to think about your separation from your kids is in time zones for phone calls/Skype sessions, etc. and travel time to get together. My wife and I lived overseas for 18+ years. We were anywhere from eight to twelve time zones away from home when we lived in the near and middle East and western Asia and one to three time zones when we lived in the southern Caribbean. Travel times could be as long as 30 hours door to door. The longest stretch that I ever had not seeing the U.S. was 13 months.

High speed internet was the game changer in terms of communication via Skype, Vonage or Magic Jack, etc. We had two distinct ring tones on our land line in Egypt - one for local and another for international calls. The latter could make the blood run cold.

I tried not to wake anyone up at home with too late phone calls, but was not always successful. The end of our work day there was usually the start of the workday here.

Brian
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Thanks
    We have one in Berkeley, CA (expecting our 4th grandchild later this year) 2950 miles
    One in Phoenix, AZ (with 2 kids) 2475 miles
    One in Pulaski, NY (with 1 kid) 225 miles

So our average is about 1880 miles.

We really miss seeing them all, and with the arrival of our grandchildren starting a few years ago, we miss them more. We still try to see our kids out west at least once or twice a year, would be nice if we could "beam" ourselves across the country , but flying isn't too bad. We get to Pulaski much more often.

I have co-workers who occasionally complain about frequent requests to babysit their grandchildren. I give them an earful that they would have a different opinion if their grandkids were thousands of miles away (like ours are). They shut up almost immediately.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks

Two and 1

We have one fledgling that early on decided to see the world. She spent time in Europe and South American while still in school, then grad school on the west coast. Even though she now lives in NC- she spends about half her time in the Caribbean for work.

Another one was close to home but is now on the west coast for the summer. Her location has limited phone service and limited internet. It's hard not being able to communicate. She didn't even have a mailing address for a while so no snail mail. . .

The other one has a little more time in college but will probably settle closer to home, at least close enough to work a regular job and also on the farm.

We want them to fly but sure do miss them. I think a trip to the west coast is in our future this summer, just for a visit plus it's an area that would be fun to see. I might even work in a visit to some forestry sites out there. . .

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements