Thread: Carhartt Jackets

1. Top | #1
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts

Carhartt Jackets

Wife and I are currently using older Polaris snowmobile jackets for outside every day use. They are not the high end jacket we use for actual snowmobiling but are light weight, look bulky but aren't and are warm as h***. Now looking for a replacement jackets. Over the years we have ditched all of our old Carhartt jackets and are now in the need of winter jackets for outside every day use. Any recommendations on the newer type Carhartt jackets? Needs to have a hood and don't want one I need to drag behind the truck for 50 miles and wash 400 times before it's soft enough to actual wear. (gettin old here)
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 02-18-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    I know you're looking for Carhartt for the same reason I used to, but I don't believe anything they sell any more is made in the U.S. Tractor Supply has a ton of Carhartt knock-off stuff that is much cheaper, seems to be just as durable, and not quite as stiff. Just mentioning it.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 12:52 PM
    Thanks
    I have Carhartt bibs both insulated and non and then a hooded jacket. I bought them about 3 years ago when I was working at our acreage a lot. I can't say I am really that much of a fan after having them. The seem to hold up to abrasion really well but seem to tear about as easy as anything else !

The hood doesn't work well for me because it is so stiff. Other hoods work OK when I want to turn around and back up but this one is like steel and when I rotate my head I am just looking at the back of the hood !
    1967 John Deere 110 (round fender) tiller & Model 80 Cart
    2010 John Deere 2305, 200cx loader and 62" MMM, 54" blower, I-Match

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    04-08-2018 @ 06:01 AM
    Thanks
    I wear a Carhartt jacket everyday for work for three years and it's still stiff. I think that's what makes them "tough". Any reason you want a Carhartt specifically?

At home I have found that layering seems to work out best for me if I'm not doing any rugged work, I don't know how you feel about that. If it's really cold outside (10* and below) I will wear a long sleeve shirt, fleece vest, Carhartt hooded sweatshirt and then my soft shell waterproof jacket with hood. For instance I would wear this if I was shoveling snow or something similar. This allows me to take layers off if I get warm without having to go back in the house and get another jacket.

If I am going to be dragging trees or anything that might cut my soft shell jacket I would wear my Carhartt jacket simply for abrasion resistance.

I checked to see what material my jacket was made of and it was "ring-spun cotton firm hand duck" which after a little bit of Googling gave me Carhartt's fabric guide:

Carhartt Fabric Guides

Without actually having any experience with the different fabrics I would look for something that is Sandstone Duck or Washed Duck based on the guide above.

Hope this helps.
    -Kyle-

JD 2520
    200CX FEL, JD 54" Front Blade, Landpride Rear Cat. 1 Quick Hitch, Landscape Rake, Rear Blade, Box Blade and Spreader

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    I know you're looking for Carhartt for the same reason I used to, but I don't believe anything they sell any more is made in the U.S. Tractor Supply has a ton of Carhartt knock-off stuff that is much cheaper, seems to be just as durable, and not quite as stiff. Just mentioning it.
    I don't need the ultimate durability any more I just don't want to have to buy new jackets every other year. Thanks.
    Our snowmobile jackets have the EXTRA large collar that keeps the back of your head and neck nice and warm that's why I mentioned the hood.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    03-25-2019 @ 02:48 PM
    Thanks
    I have been wearing Filson products for years. Yes they are on the expensive side but the quality and customer service is great. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy that is impeccable. The Tin cloth products are very rigid (you can actually stand your coat up on the floor) and the cover cloth products are supple. I own jackets, pants, bags, blankets, boots & shirts and not once I ever regretted my purchase. I have also exchanged or returned items 2-3 years later (no questions asked).

Better Outdoor Clothes | Better Outdoor Gear | Better Outdoor Clothing | Filson

I usually by my items through a company called Farmway. They can usually get Filson products for 20% off of the list price.

Welcome to Farm-Way, Inc / Vermont Gear

Favorite Filson item by far is the Alaskan Guide Shirt......

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    I have a Carhartt C26 quilt lined coat for working in the woods. It's of the sandstone duck material an thus already "soft" and very warm. They don't come with a hood but have the buttons along the back of the collar to add one later (which I have as well).

It's a very comfortable and durable coat... Insulation-wise, I usually have to take it off if I'm really working (like this past weekend, it was a balmy 15F Sunday, too hot for that coat...).

They're about $100 and well worth it.

Matt
    If Knowledge is Power, Wisdom is Torque
    1989 RX75 "The Chick Magnet"
    2017 960M Ztrak
    2008 John Deere 4720
    w/
    400X FEL w/ HD bucket & 72" Ratchet Rake
    Horst 48" Pallet Forks
    Woods TSG 50 Stump grinder
    Woods 72X Brushbull
    Land Pride HR3584 Box Blade
    Land Pride LR1584 Rake
    Cat 1 Imatch QH

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    I bought the Carhartt C26 "chore coat" last year to replace a very old no-brander. It IS warm, nice nylon quilted lining lets a flannel or fleece shirt move under it. I don't get the "rigid" cloth stuff, I had a vest made out of that nasty stiff cotton and it gave so little that the zipper would eat my neck even unzipped. Any Carhartt hood off a coverall will snap onto it (yeah, totally useless for backing up!). Unless conditions are VERY cold/windy I'm usually layered in a down vest but if I need a trip to the woodpile in a T-shirt or I have to stand around I'll grab the coat. I believe I may have wasted some $'s here with the G-word warming of late, I wore it once so far this season...
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Keith...I've got the solution. My esposa bought this John Deere hooded jacket for me at Christmas. Its similiar to a Carhardt thats been broken in. Its warm and best of all its John Deere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010.jpg  
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    The best workwear I've found anywhere is from Duluth Trading Company. Great rugged work apparel that is durable and comfortable. From outerwear to underwear this is what I wear day-in and day-out. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants comfort and value. Get on their email list as they have frequent sales and coupons for % off, free shipping or both

More information is here:Men's Workwear, Women's Work Wear, Work Clothing

Frank
    Kennyd and Mad Dog like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket