'Mission Creep' on projects.......
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: 'Mission Creep' on projects.......

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:15 AM
    Thanks

'Mission Creep' on projects.......

Saw this in another thread and got me thinking how things snowball and sometimes avalanche into much bigger projects and $ than originally intended......

Quote Originally Posted by Deere Ol Man View Post
    Glad I read this thread. When I built my house back in 1973/4 they were not code or even thought of. Just a couple years ago I was putting "another" shelf up for the wife and hit a wire in the middle of the wall at eye level. Why it was there I don't know but it went to the receptacle the drill was plugged into. Thank god or I would not have known. I had to open the wall to make the repair.

After I was done with the repair and putting the wall back together and then repainting the room cause we didn't have matching paint to cover the repaired section of the wall and me using a few choice words whilst doing it "which cannot be repeated here" the wife said no more shelves.
    I thought this is a classic example of "Mission Creep" on a project which leads to the phrase 'No project is done until at least three trips to the hardware supply store are complete' !!

My example this week was self inflicted for the most part - Renter calls to say there is a leak in the basement from one of the sewer pipes! Headed right over and found I had to replace the last section of copper sewer pipe coming down from the toilet to the new PVC due to a leak in a split in the pipe.....No big deal, I have the 3" PVC and elbow & wax seal in the shop, I just need the PVC closet flange.... first trip was to get the new flange.

Project wasn't far along when my hand slipped after lifting off the toilet and dropped it breaking the base ....second trip buying the new toilet $$.

While I'm gone the spot on the wall behind the tank that never gets re-painted because the roller doesn't fit in there gets noticed by the 'supervisor' who stopped by for some yet unknown reason. Extra time (minor mission creep), but no extra trip since I have the left over paint stored in the basement and an old brush in the truck box. I paint first so it has time to dry while doing the pipe replacement so I can slap on a second coat before re-setting the toilet.

Cut to length and glued up the replacement PVC. New flange screwed in place, ready to connect the drop to the existing PVC and realize I forgot to get the new fernco coupling since the existing fernco was sized for the smaller diameter 3" copper on one side.....third trip.....paint has lots o' time to dry now.

While there I thought I should pick up a new supply line to go from the angle valve because I noticed it was sorta stiff & seemed brittle and didn't want a slow drip when I reconnected it. Couldn't remember exact measurement so I got the 20". Good planning because the new toilet is an ADA height which means the bottom of the tank is higher which means the existing supply line was too short to reach it. So I saved myself a 4th trip without realizing it! And it is a good thing the new toilet comes with a seat because the old one would not have fit on the new oval shape!

My initial 1 hour and $10 estimate is a little short by 4 hours longer and $200 more but the project is done!

Any Mission Creep experience out there?
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 5 others like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Titleist1 For This Useful Post:

Rope_Chucker (07-21-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    I would have never got that project done in one day. Each trip to get supplies like that is 3 hours (round trip) so I would have had 9 hours just in driving time. So I don't get too much "mission creep" here - I have to plan each project then get at least twice the materials I think I might need ahead of time. Plus keeping an inventory of a lot of stuff in the barn helps.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I would have never got that project done in one day. Each trip to get supplies like that is 3 hours (round trip) so I would have had 9 hours just in driving time. So I don't get too much "mission creep" here - I have to plan each project then get at least twice the materials I think I might need ahead of time. Plus keeping an inventory of a lot of stuff in the barn helps.

Every time you post, the more we are the same. I don't have the travel times you do, but I plan the heck out of my projects. I also keep plenty of supplies on hand.
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Thanks
    By this time of the year (most years), project timeline slippage has progressed to the point that most non-essential projects are deferred until next year. We're nearing this point already this year as the Midwest is gripped in heat. The cooler weather to follow in a couple of months will provide more opportunity for improvement...

Brian
    ColonyPark, Levi and Rope_Chucker like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    My experience has always been.... "there's no project so simple and small that I can't make into a complex and large project."

Oh, well. It sometimes seems like all of my projects end up being bigger than I first expect. I think that part of the problem is that they always seem to build some big, impressive deck or do a complete yard makeover in 30 minutes on TV and I can't understand why it takes me longer.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:37 AM
    Thanks
    I like your term 'mission creep'...think I'll steal it. I have always just called them 'snowball projects'. But - yes plenty of them around here. Plumbing ones are the ones most likely to creep on me for a couple of reasons.

1. This old house is old. Constructed around 1955. Direct replacement of nearly everything doesn't work with today's Home Depot offerings.
    2. I'm not very good at plumbing stuff. Don't have a good grasp of applications, i.e. Kitchen vs toilet vs sink vs copper vs pvc, and so on.

Thanks for the new thread. Look forward to seeing others input.
    Levi likes this.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks
    Mission creep is pervasive in all that I do. However, plumbing project don't have mission creep. They have mission surges. Something that starts as a small replacing a shutoff valve turns into replacing the valve, demo-ing a wall, replacing 20 feet of pipe, sheetrocking the demo-ed wall, and painting (which probably means a new color for the whole room. That's not creep.

We should come up with a word for the opposite of "mission creep." If there is a word for it, it might happen. I think the French existentialist philosophers said something about that.
    Levi and Rope_Chucker like this.
    4320 Tractor
    400X FEL
    485 Backhoe
    Forks, Boxblade, 550 Tiller, Auger
    X530 Mower

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Being 10 min from the hardware store is definitely convenient and allows for a little lack of planning. If it had been a Sunday night with nothing open I would have left a good section of the copper and replaced the bad with PVC I had in my inventory to get it flushing again. And if my inventory let me down I would have made it last a night with a piece of extra pond liner and a couple 3" hose clamps to seal the leak. But since the store was open I decided to replace it all so I wouldn't need to revisit it. I did restock my stash of plumbing parts and made sure to add a 3" fernco for future emergencies.
    Levi, coaltrain and Rope_Chucker like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    My experience has always been.... "there's no project so simple and small that I can't make into a complex and large project."

Oh, well. It sometimes seems like all of my projects end up being bigger than I first expect. I think that part of the problem is that they always seem to build some big, impressive deck or do a complete yard makeover in 30 minutes on TV and I can't understand why it takes me longer.
    My wife sees those shows and thinks a deck should take a weekend tops It took me that long to dig the post holes.
    Gizmo2, fdmars, pcabe5 and 3 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks
    Who hasn't run a roller short of completing a paint job, a few shingles short of completing the roof or a fitting short of completing a water line?Guilty as chargedI live 10 miles from the local hardware store but sometimes need to travel 50 to get the necessary stuff.
    Gizmo2, Levi, Daveb and 1 others like this.
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast