Thread: Social Security will require a cell phone for account access

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts

Social Security will require a cell phone for account access

I am just.....flabbergasted......

I received an email yesterday from SSA. Because of all the hacking going on they are stepping up their authentication process to access your on-line account. This new process starting next month will require you to enter your cell phone number during the log in process - then the computer will send you a text with a code that you will enter into the next screen to gain access to your account. This process will happen each time you log in (with a different texted code).

I have no cell service.

I need to access and print a couple documents a couple times a year. So now what am I supposed to do? I wrote to SSA about this - awaiting a response.

So is it now assumed that ever single person in the US has a cell phone? What about older folks - do they all have cell phones? Even if I did have cell service I have no reason whatsoever to own one. The expense ($20+?) would be just thrown out the window.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:37 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I am just.....flabbergasted......

I received an email yesterday from SSA. Because of all the hacking going on they are stepping up their authentication process to access your on-line account. This new process starting next month will require you to enter your cell phone number during the log in process - then the computer will send you a text with a code that you will enter into the next screen to gain access to your account. This process will happen each time you log in (with a different texted code).

I have no cell service.

I need to access and print a couple documents a couple times a year. So now what am I supposed to do? I wrote to SSA about this - awaiting a response.

So is it now assumed that ever single person in the US has a cell phone? What about older folks - do they all have cell phones? Even if I did have cell service I have no reason whatsoever to own one. The expense ($20+?) would be just thrown out the window.
    Stan - flags should be going up...this sounds like a scam. Anyone else hear of this...I haven't.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rope_Chucker For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (07-29-2016), tj1 (07-31-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Stan,

It's called 2 factor authentication, you know a user name and a password, you register a device with them, they send a one time code to validate your the actual person logging in in hopes that you haven't given your cell phone to the hacker. A lot of systems are using this method at this point, Pay Pal implemented this a short time ago, Microsoft has had it on the volume license download site for several years.

Call the local SSI office and validate the request sent in email is not a scam and ask them an alternative solution for people that don't have cell phones.

You could always see if you can get one of these for "free". Obama Phone

Of course, I may have just doomed this thread to the political forum.....
    Last edited by tomd999; 07-29-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rope_Chucker View Post
    Stan - flags should be going up...this sounds like a scam. Anyone else hear of this...I haven't.
    Before I posted I looked for an article on-line and couldn't fine one. I would have expected that I wouldn't be the only one screaming......
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Yeah I agree that is kind of dumb. While a lot of places are starting to require two factor authentication, forcing that on the older generation is kind of dumb.

I was trying to think of a solution which might help you and the best one that I can think of is Google Voice. If you have a GMail Account you can sign up for a Google Voice number. The way Google Voice works is you tag it to another number or multiple numbers. Now I have a cell phone so I haven't tried doing what you are trying to do but if someone calls my Google Voice number based on the day and time of day it will ring my cell phone, my work desk and/or my home phone and I can answer it at any of the locations. Also if I am mid call (provided it was initiated as a Google Voice call) I can even hit a couple buttons and flip the call from my desk at work to my cell.

Anyhow where I think this might help is you can sign up for Google Voice, tie it to your home number. When you register you pick what area code you want your phone number to be in and they assign you a number. That Google Voice phone number is SMS (text message) enabled. So you could give that Google Voice number to SSA. When you go to log into the system and it sends the verification to your "cell phone" you will get an email in your gmail inbox. So you could log into that and get the verification code.

Again this is free so you could try and set it up and see if it works and if you like it or not. You just need a Gmail Account. The only gotcha is if you have to have a cell phone to sign up. I don't think you do. I do recall a requirement but I am almost positive that it requires a landline of some sort, not a cell phone so I think you will be fine.

https://www.google.com/voice

I do agree with you that the requirement is dumb. They need to find some other way of doing two factor authentication.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    I also agree that you should verify that this is legit.
    DRobinson, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Yeah I agree that is kind of dumb. While a lot of places are starting to require two factor authentication, forcing that on the older generation is kind of dumb.

I was trying to think of a solution which might help you and the best one that I can think of is Google Voice. If you have a GMail Account you can sign up for a Google Voice number. The way Google Voice works is you tag it to another number or multiple numbers. Now I have a cell phone so I haven't tried doing what you are trying to do but if someone calls my Google Voice number based on the day and time of day it will ring my cell phone, my work desk and/or my home phone and I can answer it at any of the locations. Also if I am mid call (provided it was initiated as a Google Voice call) I can even hit a couple buttons and flip the call from my desk at work to my cell.

Anyhow where I think this might help is you can sign up for Google Voice, tie it to your home number. When you register you pick what area code you want your phone number to be in and they assign you a number. That Google Voice phone number is SMS (text message) enabled. So you could give that Google Voice number to SSA. When you go to log into the system and it sends the verification to your "cell phone" you will get an email in your gmail inbox. So you could log into that and get the verification code.

Again this is free so you could try and set it up and see if it works and if you like it or not. You just need a Gmail Account. The only gotcha is if you have to have a cell phone to sign up. I don't think you do. I do recall a requirement but I am almost positive that it requires a landline of some sort, not a cell phone so I think you will be fine.

https://www.google.com/voice

I do agree with you that the requirement is dumb. They need to find some other way of doing two factor authentication.
    Thank you!

While I was eating breakfast I thought about this - that something in the Google tool box might work.

Awesome - this makes me feel better. It is kind of important for me to print those documents when I need them.

And yes, I see more of the multi-level authentication happening also - it has to come to this with just about everything being accessed over the internet.
    etcallhome, DRobinson and rtgt like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    I also agree that you should verify that this is legit.
    Yeah - I sent an email to SSA about it. It's supposed to go into effect next month some time - we will see if it comes true or not.....
    etcallhome, DRobinson and rtgt like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:45 AM
    Thanks
    If you have internet access, why not send the code to your email or a different email not used on their site? Just a thought! The digital world is moving so fast, younger folks do not understand the days when we had party lines. LOL! Even though I work in IT, I do not like how fast it is moving. Mostly due to the fact they have not yet figured out how to secure this stuff.
    etcallhome, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Stan,

SSA 2 factor is listed on their site as an optional enhanced security measure, call or visit the local office to validate your not being scammed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssa login.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	216969
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast