Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Wild Turkey...Belongs on A Bottle not roosting on my chimney!\

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks

Wild Turkey...Belongs on A Bottle not roosting on my chimney!\

Does anyone have any experience getting rid of a roosting wild turkey? We recently started seeing them and now I have a persistent turkey on my chimney. So far... water doesn't work...rushing them with a broom = temporary solution and requires traipsing all over roof surface. Right now , I'm leaning towards 7" stainless steel spikes. I've heard they only roost on flat surfaces but cannot confirm that. Any help would be appreciated!
    Lou

Last edited by LoneStranger; 07-29-2016 at 09:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Thanks
    why bother? Turkeys are nice birds and have quite the personality and lots of different voices.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Thanks
    The only thing that is worse than a turkey that decides your house is home is a Peacock.

When I bought my house in GA I was in it for a few weeks before the wife and the pups arrived. I had a couple of turkeys on or around the house all of the time. As soon as the Brittany arrived they moved on, I am thinking it was more the dog than the wife.
    ColonyPark, Levi, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Every place I've ever lived (except for the various barracks and my college dormitory) allows for the shooting of nuisance critters. A 20 gauge slinging heavy game shot is a pretty good deterrent, but if you can get close enough to poke them with a broom then a small caliber pistol would probably work too. Aim for the head and hope it falls off the roof and not down the chimney. I've got a hilarious story involving a duck and a chimney I'll have to share at some point. Anyway, once word spreads around the flock that you're serious, they will probably move on.

Either a slow cooker with lots of broth or a pressure cooker is my go-to for cooking wild turkey as it is much leaner and a little tougher than the farm raised variety.
    Last edited by Evergreen; 07-30-2016 at 07:14 AM.
    Levi, johnH123, KE8LW and 1 others like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    17HMR or 22LR. A turkey will make a mess of your roof if you don't get rid of them. If it was just on the lawn or in a tree I'd let them be.
    Levi, Marlin, KE8LW and 1 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,060 Times in 2,225 Posts
    Are you sure it is a turkey?

Flat surface - well if you call tree limbs a flat surface - turkeys around here roost in the trees.

That is one reason why I question if it is a turkey or not. Wild turkeys are very skittish - normally all it would take is once scaring it off the chimney and it wouldn't be back. Now turkey vultures/Buzzards and the like are a different story.

In the case of vultures and buzzards - they are carrion feeders. If there is something dead in your chimney they will be very persistent.
    Last edited by coaltrain; 07-30-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    ColonyPark, 316, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    Sure it's not a wood duck? I have had two of those down my chimney and in my fireplace. We have multiple families right now of turkeys and I have never seen one on my chimney and they do roost in the trees here too.. I have always wondered why people hunt them, we could pick them up if we wanted too, they are very used to us and our cats and the little peepers are all over mama right now, you go out and they stand perfectly still and they are not afraid of us.. Good luck with your issue.
    Levi and LoneStranger like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Turkeys around here run for cover when they see or hear us. Don't know why, we don't shoot them. We like seeing them though. Fun to watch. I don't think they like our roof as they just walk across our land and eat all the while they walk around.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks

Same thought

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Are you sure it is a turkey?

Flat surface - well if you call tree limbs a flat surface - turkeys around here roost in the trees.

That is one reason why I question if it is a turkey or not. Wild turkeys are very skittish - normally all it would take is once scaring it off the chimney and it wouldn't be back. Now turkey vultures/Buzzards and the like are a different story.

In the case of vultures and buzzards - they are carrion feeders. If there is something dead in your chimney they will be very persistent.
    I had the same thought that they could be turkey buzzards. I've never seen a wild turkey on a roof of any kind. In the road, in trees, on the ground, in hay fields but never on a roof. Buzzards on the other hand can be a dang nuisance and they definitely will sit on a roof. Our neighbor has a shed that a tree fell on and punched a hole in the roof. They haven't fixed it or taken it down and vultures started nesting in, leading to them perching on the neighbors roof. If they get close to our roof, I use a paint ball gun on them. Now all I have to do is walk out the door and they are gone from the neighbors property.

Treefarmer
    coaltrain, 316 and LoneStranger like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Thanks
    We have a lot of turkeys here; they come through the yard several times a day, most days. They are almost always just walking around feeding; if not, they are sitting in the shade just taking it easy. They rarely fly, unless my Boston Terrier takes after them, and they almost always fly into the trees. We have been seeing them off and on for maybe 10 years, and I have occasionally seen them sitting on the roofs of almost all of the houses in this area. Perhaps not rare, but certainly unusual. I haven't seen it for several months now though. My sense is that it only happens when there is a big flock of them coming through; for what ever reason.l
    LoneStranger likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast