Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Travel Trailer VS Hotel

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks

Travel Trailer VS Hotel

I've been meaning to ask on here of those who would know more about travel trailers.

What I want to know is whether it might be less expensive to pull a small travel on a lengthy road trip and stay at camp sites/RV parks rather than checking into a new hotel every night? I realize that costs vary from one part of the US to another.

I would only be pulling a small travel trailer that sleeps 2 to 4 people at the most. My end destination will be in the mountains where there are no RV hookups. At least there aren't any real close to where I'll be staying.

Obviously pulling a trailer will have a negative impact on fuel mileage. I'm trying to figure out if the added costs of fuel and rv/campground fees would still be less than if I stayed at hotels on the way up and back. Thanks.

Sorry mods, but I put this in the wrong section. Feel free to move it.

Last edited by green and red man; 03-28-2013 at 09:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    I think age, stamina, and energy, got to be factored into the mix. At my age (65) I'm good for 500-550 miles per day. Towing a trailer would reduce that. When I get to an evening stopping point, the last thing I want to be doing is setting up a campsite. I want to 'check into' a reasonable motel, run across the street and get a bite to eat, shower, and crash! I don't stay in a flop house, but also not at the Marriot! The next morning, Coffee and back on the road. No muss, no fuss! I'm sure 40 years ago, I'd would have had a totally different outlook. If I went the Camper route, I might look at renting a smaller motor home....... ~Scotty

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty370 For This Useful Post:

green and red man (03-28-2013)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Scotty, you are soooooo right about age etc being an important factor. I have thought about maybe in the future driving an RV to this area, but will need to travel it by car or truck first to see how difficult that might be. One guy I know who has traveled close to the same destination said I should't even consider a trailer due to the steepness and dangerous driving conditions, especially when weather is a factor.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-28-2016 @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    I used to have a travel trailer for many years, and liked it a lot. It is very hard to approach RV style traveling from the money aspect because of many unforeseeable parameters. If you have a rather big tow vehicle, a small trailer will not ad much to the gas cost. I used to tow a 24' trailer with a Safari van. The difference of the gas mileage was an average of two miles per gallon on flat ground. Up hill it was quite a bit more, down hill it was less. The advantages of an RV are the fact that you have your own bed and possible bathroom with you, all the time, you do not have to pack or unpack your stuff multiple times a week. It is all there. One of the disadvantages of a trailer are the time it takes to hook it up and to unhook and setup (some beers help herewith tremendously). With the current epidemic spread of bed bugs even in the best hotels, a RV keeps you away from becoming infected.

After many years with a travel trailer (and getting older), I got tired with the trailer setup and upgraded to a motorhome. I now tow my car behind the motorhome and have a home and my car ready at any place I wish to be. For me and my wife (and our two big dogs) the motorhome is the ultimate way to travel through the US of A.

For many years I earned my living with infection control and prevention research, and because of this professional background, I am a little concerned about the germ distribution system that is called housekeeping in Hotels and motels. The only germs that are present in my RV are mine, and I am immune against them!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudsoner For This Useful Post:

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
    I used to have a travel trailer for many years, and liked it a lot. It is very hard to approach RV style traveling from the money aspect because of many unforeseeable parameters. If you have a rather big tow vehicle, a small trailer will not ad much to the gas cost. I used to tow a 24' trailer with a Safari van. The difference of the gas mileage was an average of two miles per gallon on flat ground. Up hill it was quite a bit more, down hill it was less. The advantages of an RV are the fact that you have your own bed and possible bathroom with you, all the time, you do not have to pack or unpack your stuff multiple times a week. It is all there. One of the disadvantages of a trailer are the time it takes to hook it up and to unhook and setup (some beers help herewith tremendously). With the current epidemic spread of bed bugs even in the best hotels, a RV keeps you away from becoming infected.

After many years with a travel trailer (and getting older), I got tired with the trailer setup and upgraded to a motorhome. I now tow my car behind the motorhome and have a home and my car ready at any place I wish to be. For me and my wife (and our two big dogs) the motorhome is the ultimate way to travel through the US of A.

For many years I earned my living with infection control and prevention research, and because of this professional background, I am a little concerned about the germ distribution system that is called housekeeping in Hotels and motels. The only germs that are present in my RV are mine, and I am immune against them!
    Your info is spot on. Thank you. Yeah, not having to stay in dirty hotel/motel rooms is a big plus. I have never slept all that well while staying in a rented bed. Makes a person feel dirty, at least it makes me feel that way. Last year I was on a lengthy trip and had stopped at a little town in west Texas to stay the night. Did an internet search to see which hotel would probably be best and safest. The room I stayed in looked clean, but it didn't smell like it. The next morning I opened to door to start packing my things in the rental car and noticed snake feces right up against the door on the outside. This was in rattlesnake headquarters, so it made me curious if that's what made a stop there. On the way back, I made sure to not stay in that town. It wasn't because of snakes, but found a much nicer town and cleaner hotel in New Mexico. I really feel it when traveling far on not enough sleep.

Was thinking if I could map out the camp grounds and stay in a travel trailer, I might rest better. I'm sure there are things I've overlooked about pulling a trailer.

Last edited by green and red man; 03-28-2013 at 11:15 AM.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks

Trailers handy

Back in 1993 we bought a brand new 20' travel trailer. We had 4 kids and were in the military. For weekend camping it was very handy. It came in very handy when doing a PCS move. We had two pickups and one would pull the trailer. We'd map out our drive and stop at RV camps or even good looking rivers along the way. When we made our final military move to AK we took 10 days to get up here. We bought a 3 day fishing license in each provence of Canada and fished our way up. Couldn't do that with hotels very easily. With a family our size a couple hotel rooms would get expensive. Instead we had our food, clothes, cooking, etc all available and made trips affordable. It also came in handy for hunting trips. Set up the trailer as base camp and have the pick up available to go and do. You can't do that with a motorhome. With a full size pickup you can carry a generator, 4 wheeler, fuel, etc.
    Our trailer gets used now when we go down to Valdez to salmon fish. We carry a freezer and generator in the bed of the truck. We find a campground and set up the trailer then drive to where we want to fish in our pickup. When were done we can do our canning of the salmon on the stove in the trailer or use a seal a meal to vacum seal fillets and put them in the freezer. You can't do things like that in a hotel.
    Out travel trailer has paid for itself many times over. Besides my tractor it is one of the best investments I ever made.
    green and red man likes this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuel Hoser For This Useful Post:

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    I think age, stamina, and energy, got to be factored into the mix. At my age (65) I'm good for 500-550 miles per day. Towing a trailer would reduce that. When I get to an evening stopping point, the last thing I want to be doing is setting up a campsite. I want to 'check into' a reasonable motel, run across the street and get a bite to eat, shower, and crash! I don't stay in a flop house, but also not at the Marriot! The next morning, Coffee and back on the road. No muss, no fuss! I'm sure 40 years ago, I'd would have had a totally different outlook. If I went the Camper route, I might look at renting a smaller motor home....... ~Scotty
    You said exactly how my wife & I feel about it. I'm a little older than you but can manage 10 hours behind the wheel which usually gets me a 700-800 mile run. Then I check into one of the Choice Hotels like Quality, EconoLodge, etc. or a Microtel or a Mariot. I'm off the road by 7 PM & in the restraurant at 7:15 PM. I think travel trailers or motor homes are a flase sense of economy. And if it has tires on it, you know sooner or later you can be stuck somewhere with tremendous repair expenses in the middle of nowhere. But if you just like that style of travel & don't care about costs, etc. it might be all good.

I do a lot of East coast travel from NY to Florida. If I ever told my wife we are going to get a trailer & save the motel & dinner costs, my life on the road would be a living hell & there aint enough money in the world that would save me from her beat down.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maddog For This Useful Post:

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    Just another thought....... I think it also depends on your 'mission'! If It's going from "Point "A" to Point "B", I stand by my post. If it's sightseeing and such, then the trailer/MH makes more sense. Quick story: I was fortunate to travel with an Aunt and Uncle across the USA in 1963. I was what(?) 15-16(?)! A trip I'll never forget! We left Buffalo, Then Mackinaw Bridge in MI, Duluth, North Dakota, BadLands, Homestake Mine, Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, on to California: San Fran, Yosemite, Great Redwoods, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, New Mexico, Arizona, then back straight to Buffalo through Dodge City, Lincoln' birthplace of, Springfield Illinois, etc. We did it with a One-Wheel Helite Tent Camper on the back of a 9 pass Chevy wagon, and had to 'strike-camp' every night! It was awesome! Probably the most memorable trip of my life. Viet-Nam not withstanding, but that's another post! ~Scotty
    Last edited by Scotty370; 03-28-2013 at 02:34 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty370 For This Useful Post:

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    03-28-2016 @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green and red man View Post
    Your info is spot on. Thank you. Yeah, not having to stay in dirty hotel/motel rooms is a big plus. I have never slept all that well while staying in a rented bed. Makes a person feel dirty, at least it makes me feel that way. Last year I was on a lengthy trip and had stopped at a little town in west Texas to stay the night. Did an internet search to see which hotel would probably be best and safest. The room I stayed in looked clean, but it didn't smell like it. The next morning I opened to door to start packing my things in the rental car and noticed snake feces right up against the door on the outside. This was in rattlesnake headquarters, so it made me curious if that's what made a stop there. On the way back, I made sure to not stay in that town. It wasn't because of snakes, but found a much nicer town and cleaner hotel in New Mexico. I really feel it when traveling far on not enough sleep.

Was thinking if I could map out the camp grounds and stay in a travel trailer, I might rest better. I'm sure there are things I've overlooked about pulling a trailer.
    When you are traveling and need one night stays only, you can overnight on most Walmart parking lots (check with the service desk for an OK), Sam's Club lots, Truck Stops or Cabela's. 24 hour Walmart are really good, because they have video surveillance of the entire lot. The Yahoo group called [email protected] has up to date info at which Walmarts you can park. You can map your way out this way (we do that when we go from Wisconsin to Florida or California).

I think that age has not much to do with the way you travel. I will be 70 in three weeks and still do 10 to 12 hour drives a day. Neither a trailer nor a motorhome slows one down if one knows how to drive it/with it. When going to Florida or California, my daily traveled distances are between 600 and 700 miles.

Traveling with an RV, or traveling and sleeping in a rented room are more or less live style choices one makes. As I said earlier, I do not want to be exposed to other peoples germs and bugs, and one cannot avoid this if one stays in a rented room, no matter in what facility the room is, or what the price is!
    Last edited by Hudsoner; 03-28-2013 at 03:27 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudsoner For This Useful Post:

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. This was definitely the right place to ask about it. Y'all have given some very good advice and info.

Sometime I might need to ask about what brands of RV's are good. One time I saw an RV that wasn't familiar. It was a diesel pusher and was headed down the highway towards Louisiana. It looked super expensive. The brand is called, "Marathon".

I gotta get off of here and get some more work done.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast