Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Any ideas?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks

Any ideas?

Sister saw this on a day trip to the finger lakes in NY. I know the deal.. anyone else?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    bob
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 10:44 AM
    Thanks
    Steel wheel Mennonites.
    Kennyd, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 3 others like this.
    2011 John Deere 1026R
    H120 FEL with 53 inch bucket
    60D Auto-Connect mower deck
    54 inch snowblower
    647 tiller
    i-match
    Heavy Hitch
    TuffTop
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    ballast box
    wheel weights
    steering wheel spinner knob

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    And the winner is Bob.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Interesting. Just to comply with their own rules huh?
    grnspot110 and rtgt like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I know that way back in the day, rubber tires were a huge step up from the old steel wheels. I wonder how these compare to the modern OEM rubber? It looks like the plates swivel like the tracks on a crawler to increase the tractor's foot print.
    rtgt likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-07-2016 @ 11:57 AM
    Thanks
    That's pretty interesting. So, the Mennonites can't use rubber tires on their tractors? Anyone know the reason?
    rtgt likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Interesting. Just to comply with their own rules huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by GregS View Post
    That's pretty interesting. So, the Mennonites can't use rubber tires on their tractors? Anyone know the reason?
    There are hundreds of different Mennonite and Amish communities most of which have their own "rules". These rules aren't really self imposed but to comply with their church.

The Amish near me will not use any engine driven pieces for movement but will use a stationary engine to power an air compressor or belt system to power implements and tools in a barn. Anything that moves is horse pulled. But they won't use a stationary engine as a generator to make electricity.

There are some, as shown in the example above, that will use powered movement but with no rubber. Some will have cars but they must be black with no chrome at all.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (08-22-2016)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    There are some, as shown in the example above, that will use powered movement but with no rubber. Some will have cars but they must be black with no chrome at all.
    We used to call these the "Black Bumper Mennonites" when I lived in Lancaster, PA.

I was informed that the reason the church does not allow rubber tires is to simply make it as uncomfortable as possible to drive the tractor anywhere but on soil. This helps deter using the tractor like a vehicle, which this particular group of Mennonites does not allow their members to own.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,064 Posts
    When we were Amish we couldn't have rubber tires. Everything had steel wheels which included our buggies. (That throws the ease of transportation out the window.) The reason for this was because in the Bible some where it says to do away with worldly goods or not to be like the world. This is why they don't or aren't supposed to have modern goods. I have asked about this many times and so far got one straight answer as to why the Amish do what they do. That answer was "it's their custom". All the other answers I got is BS as I could use the same Bible and prove them wrong. I, to this day don't understand why they do things the way they do. I've lived that life for my first 13 years and although I don't regret what it taught me, I would never want to do it again. It is a hard life but it works for them. I'm just glad I'm not one of them anymore. The Mennonites are what I call "two steps up" from the Amish and for them to do what they did to that 1023 is beyond me. The Amish can't buy that tractor in the first place and for the Mennonites to buy one and do what is done on that tractor is...crazy because they can have rubber, air filled tires for the most part. That is a sect that took part of the Mennonite ways and part of the Amish ways and made their own church to their liking. All the Mennonites in Michigan and Indiana use modern equipment for everything. There are some Amish, and I'm talking about my relatives here too, that move to other states where there are no other Amish so they can do as they please. At the same time there are some that move to other states where they are more stricter because that is what they want. I knew what was going on as soon as I saw this pic but the only thing I could think of when I was looking at it was...STUPID! Just my opinion.

The fuel filter on that tractor doesn't look like it's ever been changed. So much for the service on it.
    Last edited by Levi; 08-20-2016 at 07:53 PM.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

Rope_Chucker (08-21-2016)

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure when the church said "no rubbers" they were thinking of something else.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast