Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Planning Ahead

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks

Planning Ahead

I like to stay one step ahead of the game, so to speak.
    So, at this time in my life I'm planning ahead for the inevitable, our passing away and taking care of some loose ends.
    Personally speaking, my wife and I have decided on cremations for the both of us. It just doesn't make sense to me, to waste good ground filling a cemetery with caskets six foot under, that under normal circumstances the immediate family wont even come visit after our children pass away themselves.
    I like to imagine that land could be put to better use, building a school, a house, a medical facility, etc...
    All that being said, I've sent out a request to a company that makes Urns and customizes them with the engraving of a picture, your name, and birth and deceased dates.
    Looks like the total cost including shipping will be right at $150.00, a lot cheaper than any casket the industry offers.
    Here's a picture of what I'm having them engrave on mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture on my Urn.jpg  
    Gizmo2, Vern1026R, MDrew and 5 others like this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    As far as the planning ahead part - I am amazed on how my father-in-law is doing his preparations. Having dealt with his and his wife's ailing parents he told us that he will not be a burden on us. I know what he is talking about since I had taken my father into our house which turned out to be his last 2 years of life. My wife's parents had taken her grandmother into their home the same and it was really a strain on them.

First thing he did was make his final arrangements quite a few years ago. He made a contract with a funeral home where all the details he wants (simple) are taken care of and also pre-paid. He showed us a card he has in his wallet with the phone number and contract number - all any of us has to do is call that number and all is taken care of.

He also moved himself and his wife into a nice retirement community. They have their own little cottage which is very nice. This place also has a nursing home (correct term?). If/when either of them gets to the point where they can't take care of themselves they automatically go into the nursing facility. Again this is all pre-arranged.

I am hopefully going to follow his lead with this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:33 PM
    Thanks
    I was lucky. my father passed in 1996 and mom had a long term care insurance policy since she was 50. Every 10 years she got back 70% of her money paid if not used. Her Rates went up every 5 years but with the 70% back it was affordable for her. She got a rebate last Feburary and in May had a stroke and has been in a care Facllity since. her policy pays 100$ per day and its a godsend. We all need to prepair for the future.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Thanks
    Bill Berger - I'm curious what the plan is for the urn once it's "occupied". I understand your sentiments to not want to take up space in a cemetery where no one will even know who you are in a generation or two. I feel the same way and am also planning on cremation. Although for me, Sweetie wants to be buried, so they'll probably stick my ashes in with her. Otherwise I have a couple of places that I'd like to be "scattered".

But if your wife sticks your urn on the mantle and then gets cremated herself, what then? Both of you scattered somewhere? Kept on a shelf at one of your kids' houses? Dumpster?

I'm asking this as a serious question and not trying to a smart-*** or anything else. I'm just curious what the "next step" is.

By the way - SUPER COOL design on that urn!!
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    My dad had pre-arranged all of his (and my mom's) affairs long before he passed and things were super easy when he finally did. Plots were already purchased and funerals were pre-paid.

The girl and I will be pretty easy too. Cremation and internment at Arlington. Hadn't thought about boxes for the remains (ashes) but that's not a bad idea. I had just figured they'd shove me into a cigar box and call it a day.

Huh. Would this be too much?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	john_deere.705.600.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	231978
    Last edited by JimR; 09-01-2016 at 01:40 PM.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Thanks
    I like it JimR!!!
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,413 Posts
    I have seen a casket very similar to the one you posted JimR. It was very appropriate for the man who was buried in it.

Arlington was my choice also, but my family said it was too far away. So, I will be back to my home town in the family plot with my Mom and Dad, grandmother and next to my Mom's best friend. And a stone's throw for the local John Deere dealer.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    My dad had pre-arranged all of his (and my mom's) affairs long before he passed and things were super easy when he finally did. Plots were already purchased and funerals were pre-paid.

The girl and I will be pretty easy too. Cremation and internment at Arlington. Hadn't thought about boxes for the remains (ashes) but that's not a bad idea. I had just figured they'd shove me into a cigar box and call it a day.

Huh. Would this be too much?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	john_deere.705.600.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	231978
    I like it.
    That coffin needs some yellow wheels under it. They can make them out of plastic because it's not like you will be actually using them.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berger View Post
    I like to stay one step ahead of the game, so to speak.
    So, at this time in my life I'm planning ahead for the inevitable, our passing away and taking care of some loose ends.
    Personally speaking, my wife and I have decided on cremations for the both of us. It just doesn't make sense to me, to waste good ground filling a cemetery with caskets six foot under, that under normal circumstances the immediate family wont even come visit after our children pass away themselves.
    I like to imagine that land could be put to better use, building a school, a house, a medical facility, etc...
    All that being said, I've sent out a request to a company that makes Urns and customizes them with the engraving of a picture, your name, and birth and deceased dates.
    Looks like the total cost including shipping will be right at $150.00, a lot cheaper than any casket the industry offers.
    Here's a picture of what I'm having them engrave on mine.
    What did you pick for deceased dates?
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Bill Berger - I'm curious what the plan is for the urn once it's "occupied". I understand your sentiments to not want to take up space in a cemetery where no one will even know who you are in a generation or two. I feel the same way and am also planning on cremation. Although for me, Sweetie wants to be buried, so they'll probably stick my ashes in with her. Otherwise I have a couple of places that I'd like to be "scattered".

But if your wife sticks your urn on the mantle and then gets cremated herself, what then? Both of you scattered somewhere? Kept on a shelf at one of your kids' houses? Dumpster?

I'm asking this as a serious question and not trying to a smart-*** or anything else. I'm just curious what the "next step" is.

By the way - SUPER COOL design on that urn!!
    Actually, had planned for the family to just have a quiet memorial service with the Urn and the remains.
    Afterwards, mix the remains with potting soil and use that mixture in a dug hole, where sapling Oak Tree will be planted.
    The family can always remember "Yep, that's dads' tree".
    At some point in time I would expect the acorns to continue feeding the wildlife, and of course helping to produce oxygen for the planet to continue the cycle of life.
    DRobinson, mark02tj and coaltrain like this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast