Like Tree66584Likes

Thread: Critter pics!

1. Top | #6991
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,996 Times in 2,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    This guy sits 5 feet from the front door side windows and drives my K9 kids NUTS........He is completely oblivious to their barking and carrying on at the window, directly facing him. The reaction he was soliciting from Sulley and Beasely, I thought someone was trying to kick the front door down.....Nope, just a mid sized bunny hanging out, like he does every night.

The area on the other side of him is normally all begonias and other flowers but we have so many rabbits around this year, we haven't bothered to put the flowers in the beds at the front door or this guy and his pals will eat them all. I usually put Marigolds around the perimeter of the flower beds and it helps cut down on the "bunny salad bar", but in this flower bed, they just hop off the landscape blocks over the Marigolds and then eat the flowers....... Supposedly rabbits are supposed to NOT like the smell of marigolds but I guess they are an entertaining hurdle to get to the flower beds....

The little guy by the brick sidewalk would have fit in the palm of my hand, so we have a wide range of rabbit ages hanging around, from mature to very young.....they sure are cute, but driving my dogs nuts......

We see anywhere from 4 to 8 rabbits in the yard every evening. Strange thing is we see Coyote every evening as well, in the rear yard but the Coyote's must be having Grub Hub deliver because the bunny population isn't shrinking. We went years and had no rabbits in the area, now they are all over the place.....
    The previous owner of my place over seeded clover in all the lawn area. With our wet weather it is flourishing - around 3 acres of it around the house. The wildlife loves it especially the rabbits.

Some years we won’t see a one - but years like this they are all over the place. For some reason Jake has a special exception to bunny rabbits - he goes absolutely insane when he sees them out there. They are pretty smart in staying just outside of his wireless border.

This is the first dog I have ever had that wants to chase wildlife. I really don’t like that fact but am dealing with it.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Bubber and 6 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #6992
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    The previous owner of my place over seeded clover in all the lawn area. With our wet weather it is flourishing - around 3 acres of it around the house. The wildlife loves it especially the rabbits.
    Clover is good stuff...
    https://www.agprofessional.com/artic...rogen-pastures
    ColonyPark, Bubber, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #6993
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    My wife took a short trip with a couple of her high school buddies to the Estes Park, Colorado area this past weekend. She got a picture of this sheep in the Big Thompson Canyon east of Estes Park.

Really nice photo......

The first time I watched the hoofed animals in Glacier National Park climb on and jump from rock to rock on the ledges and cliffs at 1,000 feet sheer drops, they seemed to defy all "engineering logic" from a traction and stability perspective. I have seen deer in our area slip on the asphalt roads while crossing it when running, but somehow the Big Horn Sheep and others seem to be able to nearly climb vertical stone walls and cliffs.

You rarely seem them slip or even disturb the rocks they are climbing on. Simply amazing to watch them in their natural environment.....not to mention the "Ram Tough" boys get up there and start butting heads, in a serious way......they are also really graceful when they move. It's worth the trip to see the beautiful sights and the amazing animals make it even better.................

mjncad, ColonyPark, Bubber and 7 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

mjncad (07-10-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #6994
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

Some years we won’t see a one - but years like this they are all over the place. For some reason Jake has a special exception to bunny rabbits - he goes absolutely insane when he sees them out there. They are pretty smart in staying just outside of his wireless border.

This is the first dog I have ever had that wants to chase wildlife. I really don’t like that fact but am dealing with it.
    I think the "pursuit" of a running animal is something which triggers the response instincts in many dogs. Its funny because our dogs are so used to deer being around, they never bark at them and don't even try to chase them. But put a squirrel, chipmunk or rabbit, etc. out there and it's game on.

We have had two dogs who must have felt the shock of the underground fence was worth the freedom as they would blast after something and take the shock at the line and keep on running. The problem then is two fold, now they are outside of the perimeter and when they didn't have the pursuit of something coming back into the controlled zone, then they would fail to come back into the control area until I would go and remove their collars and bring them back into the underground fence area.

Once back in the area, put their collars back on them and they would respect the fence until the full blown pursuit of a critter. They didn't get out often, but it happened maybe a dozen times over the years. But the other dogs wouldn't follow them and most respect the under ground wire as if it were a solid fence.

Of course, before Mrs. Bear would allow the installation of the underground fence, I had to agree to get shocked by the collar to prove to her it wasn't "cruel or mean". Let me just say it really gets your attention and while I wore it on my arm, around your neck, it would be even more "attention getting"...........I can see why they want to avoid being zapped.......
    mjncad, Bubber, rtgt and 5 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6995
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Since I’ve been mowing higher this year I feel better about leaving the clover. I get about half the blossoms but they seem to reappear within a couple days. It looks almost as if there is snow on the grass-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A87712CE-3D34-41A6-AEEA-761676325B06.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	7.64 MB 
ID:	694836

What is strange - maybe alarming - is there are no bees in the blossoms. In years past there would be hundreds if not thousands of bees working the clover blossoms.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, ColonyPark and 9 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #6996

Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Thanks
    Buddy kind of met Thor today.

I didn’t catch it in photos, but Thor’s instincts are fight not flight. He is the first cat I can think of that strikes me as more wild then bob. He had more ear control then a German Shepard the tips were almost pretensile they could turn down while the ears were up and rotating.

He doesn’t like pictures or flashes.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Bubber and 9 others like this.

10. Top | #6997
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:09 AM
    Thanks

Little girl

I stumbled across an ad for Shollie pups? I said what the heck is that?
    Sure enough it's a German Shepherd Border Collie mix.
    Who knew? My Woody is actually a designer dog! (my current monster)
    Long and short.....off I go 90 miles to meet the pups. These little guys are so cute I could have brought all 6 home.
    After an hour of playing, I grabbed Woody from my truck so he could sniff the pups and meet "Winnie". Well lets just say 6 charging puppies kinda freaked him out. The pups are 6 weeks old and a big black dog might have looked like mom to them. After the pack dispersed, he started wagging his tail but would lightly growl when any got close. I held his collar. I didn't trust him. He has only seen one other puppy and he growled at it. I took one of his stuffed frog toys along and rubbed it on Winnie. Made sure Woody got to sniff Winnie several times over a couple hour period. I still don't feel comfortable with him. His super alpha habits have relegated him too only 2 dog friends and both are females. They have a blast and run around like idiots but rarely see each other. Woody has a zero tolerance policy for other male dogs, and backs it up.

Looking for acclimation suggestions for Winnie.
    Will Woody come around when he realizes she is ours?

The owners are looking for the pups to be picked up late this week after the initial shots. 7 weeks seems marginal to me so I will drag my feet as long as the siblings and mom are together. I would preffer 8 weeks myself.

This is "Winnie". Has the same markings as Woody.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG950988.jpg  
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Bubber and 9 others like this.
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

11. Top | #6998
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randog View Post
    Long and short.....off I go 90 miles to meet the pups. These little guys are so cute I could have brought all 6 home.
    After an hour of playing, I grabbed Woody from my truck so he could sniff the pups and meet "Winnie". Well lets just say 6 charging puppies kinda freaked him out. The pups are 6 weeks old and a big black dog might have looked like mom to them. After the pack dispersed, he started wagging his tail but would lightly growl when any got close. I held his collar. I didn't trust him. He has only seen one other puppy and he growled at it. I took one of his stuffed frog toys along and rubbed it on Winnie. Made sure Woody got to sniff Winnie several times over a couple hour period. I still don't feel comfortable with him. His super alpha habits have relegated him too only 2 dog friends and both are females. They have a blast and run around like idiots but rarely see each other. Woody has a zero tolerance policy for other male dogs, and backs it up.

The owners are looking for the pups to be picked up late this week after the initial shots. 7 weeks seems marginal to me so I will drag my feet as long as the siblings and mom are together. I would preffer 8 weeks myself.

This is "Winnie". Has the same markings as Woody.
    From what I am reading Woody is meeting the new pup at the breeder’s place. Woody will be on high alert being at a strange place. Not only are the puppies foreign to him but also the surroundings.

My bet is that when the pup comes home and Woody is in his own territory things will be different. At first of course he will try to defend his territory but will quickly come around once he knows the pup is there to stay. Won’t be long before they are best buds I think.

The law in here in PA is the pups must be 7 weeks old to sell. That is the minimum - there is nothing wrong with waiting a couple more weeks as long as the breeder is OK with it.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Randog (07-15-2019)

13. Top | #6999
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 1,085 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randog View Post

Some folks will send them home at 6 weeks, we started moving our last litters out at 9 weeks. The 8-16 week period is critical for human bonding and interaction, so I wouldn’t worry too terribly much.

As for Woody, it’s possible he needs a leader. He’s trying to handle the puppies (and other dogs) because he feels like that is his role. Instead of doing it himself, he needs to learn to look to you for answers. If he thinks he’s in charge, he will measure out discipline to those around him. If he knows to look to you in times of uncertainty and stress, then when the puppy gets in his face instead of Woody correcting the puppy’s behavior (which can lead to injuries, fights, etc especially as the puppy grows up) he needs to come to you and say “Hey, this other dog is pestering me. Please help.” Of course, you have to be in tune with him to pick up on those signals. It could also be resource guarding- Woody feels like you belong to him (again, because he may think he is in control) and just like he may not want another dog eating out of his food dish he may not want another dog being too close to his pet human/ the source of all good things in Woody’s life. That would be a different scenario, but in either case a good trainer can help.

If you’re on YouTube or Facebook, look up Larry Krone from PakMasters dog training. He lives in southern Kentucky and works around the middle TN area but he is one of the premier trainers in the country and has produced volumes of excellent videos that are excellent at breaking these concepts down and helping owners/ handlers work with their dogs.
    ColonyPark, rtgt, rydplrs and 2 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

14. Top | #7000
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 1,085 Posts
    Pointer working on his retrieve. He has his first gun dog event coming up soon so he’s polishing some skills.

Bitey Ivy working on her grips. We use sections of old fire hose as tug toys, they hold up really well.

Post work playtime. She loves to carry around one of the rubber Jolly Balls and use it to punch/ push the big hard plastic one. I’ve been playing “soccer” with her for lack of a better term, she loves it. We’re planning to introduce treiball to our pack as soon as I can build a field. It’s basically dog soccer where they push giant balls around in an area and the goal is to get the ball over the end zone line.

This is a 12 or so week old Dutch Shepherd pup, he’s learning basic skills and being evaluated for his future. Little guy actually has PSA testing today, so that should be fun.

ColonyPark, rtgt, rydplrs and 3 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 700 of 706 FirstFirst ... 200 600 650 690 698 699 700 701 702 ... LastLast