Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Backyard Chickens

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-09-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks

Backyard Chickens

I just wanted to share a few pictures of my chicken coop. This is my first chicken coop so I'm sure there are lots of things I'll wish I'd done differently as time goes on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0390.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1,012.3 KB 
ID:	17885

Name:	IMAG0391.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	17886

Name:	IMAG0379.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	864.4 KB 
ID:	17887

Name:	IMAG0464.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	989.7 KB 
ID:	17888

Name:	IMAG0465.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1,004.5 KB 
ID:	17889

Name:	IMAG0467.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	955.8 KB 
ID:	17890
    2000 355D, 54C MMM
    2008 4120, 400CX FEL

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    The hens wanted to sleep in the nesting box so we blocked it off until they start laying. We've been trying to train them to roost, if we put them up on the bar they seem to stay there but they won't go up on their own. It took them a few weeks to figure out the ramp, but now they've got the hang of it. When I move the coop to it's permanent spot I want to set it on buried cement blocks to prevent predators from digging under and to prevent rot.

Name:	IMAG0470.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	17891

Name:	IMAG0471.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	17892

Name:	IMAG0472.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	17893
    2000 355D, 54C MMM
    2008 4120, 400CX FEL

4. Top | #3
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 751 Posts
    Really neat! Did you buy a kit, or plans, or design it yourself? I want a chicken coop, but haven't seemed to get there yet. I think I want mine to be portable, much of the time, so the chickens can get into fresh dirt and bugs, without being totally at risks of predators, during certain times of year.

Do you have much of a snake problem in your area? I can't firgure out how to make a coop snake proof to keep them out of the eggs. Still working on details in my mind.

Thanks for sharing! Let us know what changes you would make, and why, as time goes on. It would be a huge help to some of us!

Thanks again!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I designed it myself, taking lots of ideas from the Wichita Cabin Coop. The rear sloping roof on the Wichita coop will trap snow if it's against another building, so I changed the roof to shed snow to the sides because there is a possibility that the coop will go against the goat barn. The roof cannot support heavy snow loads. Available materials also dictated much of the design, most of the lumber was salvaged from shipping crates, and the metal siding/roofing was leftover from my other buildings. It is easily movable by towing, and I may leave it that way for the reasons you mentioned as long as we don't have a problem with predators digging. We don't really have a snake problem here, I might see one or two garter snakes in a year. We see red tail hawks flying over daily, and Cooper's hawks nesting within a half mile, so that is our biggest concern. We also have fox, possum, raccoons, and sometimes coyote.

I'm planning to install a feeder and waterer that can be filled from outside the coop. I'm still working on the design but I'll post some pictures when I get it done. We have to deal with freezing here so that makes watering more difficult.
    2000 355D, 54C MMM
    2008 4120, 400CX FEL

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

andy b. (05-25-2013)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    COOL! So glad you will share! Thanks again!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    That came out great! I like the cable to raise the ramp.

Do you ever let the chickens run around your yard, or do they stay in the coop? How long have you had them?

My wife really wants to try raising 4 or 5, so it is a project I try to collect info on.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 01:53 PM
    Thanks
    It would be good to keep it mobile so you can give them new grass once in a while.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    The chickens are about 2 months old. They are Moyer's brown egg layers. The hatchery is only 20 minutes from here so we went and picked them up the day they were born. Commercial Chicken Breeds - Moyer's Chicks

We've only been letting them out while we're outside to watch them. They run to the door now as soon as you approach. They were out for a couple hours yesterday until we noticed 5 hawks circling. So far they don't roam more than a couple feet from the run. Eventually we'd like to let them free range, I think we will just need to have extras and get used to the fact that we will loose a few now and then.
    2000 355D, 54C MMM
    2008 4120, 400CX FEL

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

andy b. (05-26-2013)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-19-2019 @ 11:23 AM
    Thanks
    Ahhhh Pennsylvania Chicken Farming, a subject dear to my heart. We have about 40 assorted Bantams in a permanent coop converted from an Amish made kids 6x8 gingerbread playhouse. I made a little trapdoor in back that opens to a 20x20 fenced in area with an external access. It is under a stand of old Maples so it is very shady in summer. The coop has a full sized door on one end which we use to access to clean and gather eggs. We have 10 nests hanging on the back wall, and a 2x4 running the length of the coop for a roost and a lightweight ladder up to it. We hang feeding pails from ceiling hooks and currently change the 3 gallon waterer daily placing it on a milk crate to keep it above the wood chips. I am planning to upgrade to a gravity fed barrel and nipple watering system for the non-freezing months. We collect and sell about 4-5 dozen eggs a week which covers the cost of the organic feed.

We've had issues in teh past with only 2 predators, one are foxes, the other are hawks. I came home from work one day to find a sharp shined hawk had managed to infiltrate the fenced in area in back (netting over the top had some open spots where I cut it to go around trees). If had killed and eaten one bird. It got out on it's own too....

We let the chickens free range in our yard on weekends when we are home and working outside. We've suffered a few hawk attacks during these times too, but it was the fox that really irritated me. In broad daylight it jumped a 4ft fence (nothing for a fox, they will climb an 8ft fence!) grabbed a bird and jumped back over with me in hot pursuit......it dropped the bird and I picked her up thinking she was dead (I was damned if I was goona let the fox have it!), but she stirred when I picked her up and she is still with us today. We called an animal control guy from out near Hershey who came up and set a trap and caught the fox....it was a female and she was pregnant. He released her out near Hershey somewhere. Less than a year later we had another fox attack, so it was time for a flock guardian dog. We got a Merrema Abruzze from a breeder in Fort Washington NJ and she has been with us for 2 years and we have not had a fox attack since, and for some reason we no longer have a groundhog issue either?? The Marremma is even starting to look up, and I'm hoping she will help with Hawks as well. We've only had one Hawk kill since she got here. Here are 2 not so great photos of Fiona. And I'll try to get some photos of the coop too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 047.jpeg   048.jpeg  
    Randy
    New: 2017 JD 2032R. R3 turf, 220R FEL with Single Point, 7-iron 60D MMM, Artillian Diverter; 2019 Z740r
    Previous: 2012 JD 1026R, R3 turf, H-120 FEL, 7-iron 60D MMM
    Attached: EA Wicked 55 Grapple, iMatch, Heavyhitch w/8x42lb, JD BB5060L, JD LR5060L, JLF-2242 forks, Shaver 101 PHD, Countyline 48" rotary cutter
    Tow Behind: Trac-Vac 880, JD10 Cart, Countyline 25 ton splitter
    Stihl: MS180CB-E; MS391; HT101; FS110; HS81T; BR600 Magnum
    Critters: Bees, Chickens, Maremmas

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransx77 For This Useful Post:

andy b. (05-26-2013)

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Fiona is pretty, and useful too!

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast