Thread: Edge Tamer - bucket edge skid shoes

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    Don't get me wrong.
    It's all good. I love when someone links to something I didn't know that was available.
    Wether I buy it or dream of buying it.
    Right! There's been all sorts of items that I didn't realize I needed until someone posted a link to it.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,964 Times in 2,476 Posts
    I've looked at them also...even talked with one of the owners since he is sort-of local to me. Seems like a great niche' product that I might buy for next year to try. A few reviews on GTT, OTT and TBN I've read are all very favorable.
    pcabe5, Levi and coaltrain like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I've looked at them also...even talked with one of the owners since he is sort-of local to me. Seems like a great niche' product that I might buy for next year to try. A few reviews on GTT, OTT and TBN I've read are all very favorable.
    That's good to know.

The only reason I hesitate not to buy a pair now (could really test them out within a month or so) is spending the money. Used to be I would just get something like this but my hobby/tractor fund doesn't get replenished now a days. Also, I kind of got my heart set on a snow pusher for next year and to do that I have to be vigilant in saving up for it.

My problem is I have a "want list" of tractor goodies that seems to grow - but the Edge Tamer has gone to the top of the list quickly.

Even with a snow pusher the Edge Tamer on the bucket still might be the way to go plowing early and late season on a thawed driveway. Hopefully I'll end up with both!
    Levi likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Thanks
    I was reading the FAQs and it pointed out a good point for me. I have a long nearly 1/4 gravel driveway that i try to keep crowned as much as possible.
    It mentioned using 3 shoes for heavy crowns which is a good idea.

I have so many ideas for next year snow removal that all cost money.
    I really like the Artillian set up with angle 54" plow on loader arms. Naturally that is gonna cost the most too.
    The snow pusher is another option and a great one. But in long stretches through the woods i would need a bunch of areas to push it off the road.
    Cleared fine with bucket this year. Takes a long time naturally.
    Those shoes would help alot and be the cheapest mod.

Decisions, decisions.
    Levi likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

7. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    I was reading the FAQs and it pointed out a good point for me. I have a long nearly 1/4 gravel driveway that i try to keep crowned as much as possible.
    It mentioned using 3 shoes for heavy crowns which is a good idea.

I have so many ideas for next year snow removal that all cost money.
    I really like the Artillian set up with angle 54" plow on loader arms. Naturally that is gonna cost the most too.
    The snow pusher is another option and a great one. But in long stretches through the woods i would need a bunch of areas to push it off the road.
    Cleared fine with bucket this year. Takes a long time naturally.
    Those shoes would help alot and be the cheapest mod.

Decisions, decisions.
    Same here - I've been evaluating all the different scenarios this winter.

I was very fortunate in obtaining a set of Artillian forks in December. That fact made me naturally gravitate to the 54 plow setup. But after hours of thinking about it and paying attention to how I actually plow my place a regular plow just doesn't make much sense. Since I've been using my bucket for years now I have a system where I do all straight pushes anyway and it works out great. I keep the intersection of my driveway pushed way back so there is plenty of room to turn around. Also this helps if the snow pack on the driveway proper turns to ice (as it always does if it warms up and rains like it is going to do today) - I can cheat off the edges of the driveway to gets some traction.

I really have my heart set on a pusher since I do most all straight pushes anyway. But the finances might dictate that I skid that. The Edge Tamer would be a very good alternative for me. The only thing that I can't get past is leaving 1/2" of snow when the driveway is frozen. As dieselshadow suggested above, I could just use them when the driveway is soft. But one of the main reasons I am looking at the Edge Tamer is to save my cutting edge. After 7 winters now my cutting edge is showing some wear. I don't want to think about the cost of replacing it as it is not a removable edge. So if I would use the Edge Tamer when the driveway is soft, then just plain bucket the rest of the season, I am still wearing my cutting edge.

And even if I did manage to swing a pusher, I might still want to use the Edge Tamer on the bucket when the driveway is soft.

Tough decisions like you say.......

This is half my driveway and intersection:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1330078.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	39799

Name:	P1330080.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	39800
    Levi and blue87fj60 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

I was very fortunate in obtaining a set of Artillian forks in December. That fact made me naturally gravitate to the 54 plow setup. But after hours of thinking about it and paying attention to how I actually plow my place a regular plow just doesn't make much sense. Since I've been using my bucket for years now I have a system where I do all straight pushes anyway and it works out great. I keep the intersection of my driveway pushed way back so there is plenty of room to turn around. Also this helps if the snow pack on the driveway proper turns to ice (as it always does if it warms up and rains like it is going to do today) - I can cheat off the edges of the driveway to gets some traction.

I really have my heart set on a pusher since I do most all straight pushes anyway. But the finances might dictate that I skid that. The Edge Tamer would be a very good alternative for me. The only thing that I can't get past is leaving 1/2" of snow when the driveway is frozen. As dieselshadow suggested above, I could just use them when the driveway is soft. But one of the main reasons I am looking at the Edge Tamer is to save my cutting edge. After 7 winters now my cutting edge is showing some wear. I don't want to think about the cost of replacing it as it is not a removable edge. So if I would use the Edge Tamer when the driveway is soft, then just plain bucket the rest of the season, I am still wearing my cutting edge.

And even if I did manage to swing a pusher, I might still want to use the Edge Tamer on the bucket when the driveway is soft.

Yes, you will flip your lid when you get a pusher.
    No more stopping to dump the bucket at the end of a push. Just boom up and the snow load falls out the bottom.
    Nice and quick and you're back in reverse.

The little layer of snow concerns me a little too. As much as i'd hate to get an ice layer built up, i think i hate gouging my gravel up and dumping it on the grass and in the woods even more.
    Last edited by blue87fj60; 02-08-2015 at 10:01 AM.
    Levi likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. Top | #17
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

This is half my driveway and intersection:
    Coaltrain,

By the looks of things you've mastered the art of plowing with a bucket! I think the Edge Tamers are a good idea and may reduce scraping. I also believe they will definitely leave a thin base which will most likely ice over. You mentioned the possibility of upgrading to a snow pusher. Would you go wider than your current bucket?

Frank
    Levi likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #18
    Last Online
    Thanks

Name:	JohnDeereSubCompactTractor.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	39811

Name:	Homer_drool.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	39812
    Levi likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    HPX615E Gator

11. Top | #19
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,964 Times in 2,476 Posts
    An older "pusher" thread that has some good info:
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ow-pusher.html
    pcabe5 and Levi like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

coaltrain (02-08-2015)

13. Top | #20
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Coaltrain,

By the looks of things you've mastered the art of plowing with a bucket! I think the Edge Tamers are a good idea and may reduce scraping. I also believe they will definitely leave a thin base which will most likely ice over. You mentioned the possibility of upgrading to a snow pusher. Would you go wider than your current bucket?

Frank
    One of the problems I have this time of year is the snow pack. It's not really a problem until it warms up like today. You can see in my pics that even with using the plain bucket it still leaves some snow pack.

The snow pusher comes in 2 sizes with the Deere quick attach - 6' & 7' - I would definitely get the 6'.

Yeah - like I said earlier - I have the straight pushing with the bucket down to a science. A snow pusher would just be a cherry on top! Even taking my time I do what you see in the pics plus the driveway to the house and trails in about 1 hour 20 minutes. I have all the time in the world and enjoy doing it so I'm not looking to increase my speed. That's what' happened when I had my 757 zero turn - didn't take long enough to mow!

One of my main concerns and why I was looking at the Edge Tamer is my bucket edge - just took a quick shot. This is of course after 7 years use:

Name:	P1330117.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	39814

Name:	P1330117_2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	450.0 KB 
ID:	39815
    Superglidesport and Levi like this.
    ~Stan~