Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Edge Tamer - bucket edge skid shoes

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,190 Posts

Edge Tamer - bucket edge skid shoes

This is something new to me that another member mentioned in another post. Thought it should have its own thread (as dieselshadow suggested) since I am seriosly thinking of getting a pair.

Original thread:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ovel-tips.html

In this thread LIS Sailor posted a nice review in post #5.

Here is the Edge Tamer:

Edge Tamer | R2 Manufacturing

Looks like just the thing for us with gravel driveways using the bucket for snow removal. I've been using my bucket for 7 winters now with good success. The problem comes in the early and late winter when the ground isn't frozen yet - unless I pay close attention to the cutting edge angle I am scraping gravel. Plus when pushing back have to also pay attention so I won't tear up a lot of turf. I've become quite good at controlling my cutting edge over the years and have very little damage in the spring now but like the idea of these skid shoes.

The only thing I don't like about them is leaving the 1/2" of snow. When my driveway is frozen and have a snow pack I don't want to leave that 1/2" every time I plow. By the end of winter I'll end up with a 12" snow pack on the driveway to deal with in the spring (read ICE).

Any other thoughts on these?
    blue87fj60 and danmorea like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

danmorea (02-07-2015), MattF (02-15-2015), RichBaxter (02-07-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    Couldn't you use them until a base layer was built? Then you could remove them and use your regular cutting edge.
    pcabe5, Levi and sbhooper like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Couldn't you use them until a base layer was built? Then you could remove them and use your regular cutting edge.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Also use them in the spring after the driveway is thawed and we get those big heavy wet snows in spring.

But then the frugal part of me says that I am doing fine without these things by accurately controlling my cutting edge (most of the time).
    Levi likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-09-2018 @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    Just remind the frugal part of you what raking rocks feels like and that part will quiet right down! Thats what i just did and it worked pretty well! Im thinking $100.00 or so wont seem like a lot after 5 minutes of raking gravel or chewing up a new set of gator blades during that first mowing session!!! I will be ordering some today i think.
    Levi and coaltrain like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Brock View Post
    Just remind the frugal part of you what raking rocks feels like and that part will quiet right down! Thats what i just did and it worked pretty well! Im thinking $100.00 or so wont seem like a lot after 5 minutes of raking gravel or chewing up a new set of gator blades during that first mowing session!!! I will be ordering some today i think.
    You're exactly right! Plus to add to that is that while both of us could use a rake if we had to, we both would suffer for the next 3 days. I remember one spring a long time ago my wife spent 6 hours straight raking gravel off the grass back into the driveway (while I was working). Her other point was that gravel is too expensive to waste like that!
    Craig Brock and Levi like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    This is something new to me that another member mentioned in another post. Thought it should have its own thread (as dieselshadow suggested) since I am seriosly thinking of getting a pair.

Original thread:

Here is the Edge Tamer:

Looks like just the thing for us with gravel driveways using the bucket for snow removal. I've been using my bucket for 7 winters now with good success. The problem comes in the early and late winter when the ground isn't frozen yet - unless I pay close attention to the cutting edge angle I am scraping gravel. Plus when pushing back have to also pay attention so I won't tear up a lot of turf. I've become quite good at controlling my cutting edge over the years and have very little damage in the spring now but like the idea of these skid shoes.

The only thing I don't like about them is leaving the 1/2" of snow. When my driveway is frozen and have a snow pack I don't want to leave that 1/2" every time I plow. By the end of winter I'll end up with a 12" snow pack on the driveway to deal with in the spring (read ICE).

One thing this site and it's members are good at is helping other people spend money.
    I saw this posted in other thread as well and thought how nice it would be for that unfrozen gravel driveway to stay put as well.
    Craig Brock and Levi like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    One thing this site and it's members are good at is helping other people spend money.
    I saw this posted in other thread as well and thought how nice it would be for that unfrozen gravel driveway to stay put as well.
    On the other side of the coin I've been introduced to some very smart people who have made some great innovations for our machines. Chris at Artilian, Heavy Hitch, Kenny D, etc. coming up with great ideas and bringing them to market for us.
    Levi likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    I used my rear boxblade today to scrape down some of the build-up that occurs when people drive on the driveway before I've had the chance to plow. With the rubber edge on my blade, it doesn't like to really bite into the pavement so I end up with some frozen, packed down stripes.

A couple passes with the boxblade and it was stripped clean enough that the next cold, but sunny day should dry it up.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks

Original thread:

Here is the Edge Tamer:

It may work on gravel real good? Front fel and rear blade/york rake?

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Thanks
    On the other side of the coin I've been introduced to some very smart people who have made some great innovations for our machines. Chris at Artilian, Heavy Hitch, Kenny D, etc. coming up with great ideas and bringing them to market for us.
    Don't get me wrong.
    It's all good. I love when someone links to something I didn't know that was available.
    Wether I buy it or dream of buying it.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast