Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Taming Leaves

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:03 AM
    Thanks

Taming Leaves

I met the R2 Guys at the Empire Farm Days Ag Show this summer. I had no intention of purchasing Edge Tamers as I don't use my bucket for snow removal. But, the more I looked at the product and thought of uses, it struck me that they might be just the right tool to assist with fall leave cleanup. I bought the 4" Edge Tamers.

I mounted the Edge Tamers yesterday. It took me 2 minutes, 10 seconds, using a Gear Wrench. Most of that time was spent backing the bolts out to ready the opening to receive the bucket edge. I plan to leave the bolts where they are when I remove the Edge Tamers and I should cut my re-install time by more than half.

The bucket on which I mounted the Edge Tamers is a 61" JD bucket that I use on both tractors for light materials. I didn't give much thought to placement of the Edge Tamers on the bucket edge and ended up about 8" from each bucket side. It seemed to work.

The leaves I wanted to move were dry on top, damp in the middle and wet on the bottom. The bottom leaves were black, as they've been on the ground for nearly three weeks. The lawn underneath the leaves was wet enough that my boots made impressions in the soil as I walked. I expected some tractor tire impressions, but know that winter will make them disappear. As for the Edge Tamers on such a wet lawn? No idea.

I was tentative at first and manually leveled the bucket over the lawn so the Edge Tamers were just skimming the grass. After the first pass, I used the loader's float and the Edge Tamers were in full contact with the ground. I knocked a piece of 1/2" thick sod off here and there where my lawn is not level, but only a half-dozen spots and nothing bigger than a hand print.

I was pretty impressed and pleased with the results of using the Edge Tamers. Moving that pile of leaves with the blower would have been a several hour task on a calm day, but it was windy yesterday and I was moving the leaves directly into the wind. I would normally have raked the bottom layer of wet leaves, but took the time to blow them loose, knowing I was going to push them with the tractor. It worked. I had to rake one area which I can't blow and I raked along the pile when I was finishing up, but I did way less raking and way less blowing than ever before.

I hate raking. The Edge Tamers saved me a lot of raking. I like Edge Tamers.

I put together a quick and dirty video. It starts slow and ends fast, but you'll get the idea. You can decide for yourself, how much time and energy I saved myself.

- Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OxPath For This Useful Post:

Superglidesport†(11-10-2018), TheR2Guys†(11-09-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,870 Posts
    The real truth NOW comes out.

Nice job.
    ColonyPark, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Thanks
    Nice! For some reason I had Benny Hill music playing in my head while watching the video!
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 7 others like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    What'd ya think? I raked that pile? Won't ever happen.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 3 others like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Thatís a lot of leaves!

This was my first year using a mulch kit on my 62D deck for leaves. It worked...but with how wet the leaves/grass/ground was constantly this fall I made myself a heck of a mess to clean up as far as the deck was concerned.

I failed to remember Pat (pbrxx?) used his Edge Tamers the same way at a cemetery recently. And now you posted this - why I didnít remember to try them for leaves this time escapes me....I could easily push all the leaves over the river bank never to be seen again.

I have used the Edge Tamers with great success for snow removal for a few years now. I have 3 - 2 all the way outbound on the bucket and one centered. This really helps for not scraping sod up. One section of my driveway hardly gets used and has grown a grass center that is much higher than the tracks. Having the one in the center I havení scaled any sod at all. I also make walking paths to the barn and pavillion as well as running lanes for Jake across the lawn. Again the 3rd center one works like a charm.

Another big advantage is plowing my gravel/dirt driveway before the ground is frozen - can quickly make a huge mess. With the Edge Tamers there is no mess. We used to spend hours every spring raking gravel out of the grass back into the driveway - no more!
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 5 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

TheR2Guys†(11-09-2018)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 955 Posts

Nice job.

I know! Makes me want to go race through that pile even more

A couple things......

1. I have no idea how you live on that road with the cars driving by at the speed they do.
    2. You are obviously a super power, because you move that back pack blower around at almost the same speed as the cars passing by.

And.....

3. Thanks for the video. I have seen the Edge Tamers many times on here and think they are a great product. But being able to see you put them on gave me a new perspective. For whatever reason, I have never realized that each one was as wide as they are, and they look like they are quite the stout pieces of steel.
    Gizmo2, Levi, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Thatís a lot of leaves!
    I had already blown the driveway and deck off so they piled up pretty quick.

I think you've got a good setup for moving your leaves with the help of Edge Tamers. Just keep the tractor on the high-side of the river bank!
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 4 others like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post

A couple things......

1. I have no idea how you live on that road with the cars driving by at the speed they do.
    2. You are obviously a super power, because you move that back pack blower around at almost the same speed as the cars passing by.

And.....

3. Thanks for the video. I have seen the Edge Tamers many times on here and think they are a great product. But being able to see you put them on gave me a new perspective. For whatever reason, I have never realized that each one was as wide as they are, and they look like they are quite the stout pieces of steel.
    When you pick one up you really appreciate how stout they really are - they are heavy! You could curl the bucket into a pretzel without every affecting these things.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    I had already blown the driveway and deck off so they piled up pretty quick.

I think you've got a good setup for moving your leaves with the help of Edge Tamers. Just keep the tractor on the high-side of the river bank!
    When I was chopping leaves yesterday I was pretty close going along the bank - and thought to myself how soft the ground was and that I had better shy away a little more....

My Red Oak trees (which happen to be along the bank) are still 2/3 loaded with leaves yet so as long as there isnít snow on the ground when they finally drop I will go at them with the Edge Tamers. They will already be on the bucket by then for the winter anyway. Easy peasy instead of dragging the deck out again plus the cleanup involved.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 11:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    I think you should too. Making us think he worked so hard and had to take an Aleve because of it and take a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    What'd ya think? I raked that pile? Won't ever happen.
    You sure made it sound like you did soooooooooooooo much hard work! Then I come across this thread.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1Ĺ" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast