• 1 Post By JD4EVER
  • 2 Post By coaltrain

Thread: First Use of Edge Tamers

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks

First Use of Edge Tamers

Got a couple 3" Edge Tamers for a 53" bucket on a 4100 w/ 410 FEL at my lake place. Had my first opportunity to use them this past weekend. WOW! What a difference they make in moving snow without all the gravel/grass that used to come with it.

A service plows in my absence but they have limited space to push the snow. Typically, my snow handling involves hauling the service's piles to a ravine the service can't access without risking getting their plow truck stuck. Much of this hauling requires working on slopes and despite concerted efforts to control the bucket edge in the past I invariably gouged gravel and grass. Working down slope with the Edge Tamers yielded much better results. I positioned the bucket edge just slightly below level and put very slight down pressure on the loader so that the Tamers would follow the ground contour. WORKED GREAT. Mostly snow... just occasional shaved (not gouged!) grass stems. Working up slope I positioned the bucket edge just slightly above level with no down pressure (not 'float' though) on the loader and let the bend front edges of the Edge Tamers guide the way up the slope. As the tractor front wheels raised I eased down pressure by slightly raising the loader. In short order coordinating raising the loader in relation to the tractor's forward motion became second nature. Again, WORKED GREAT!

Over night, after moving the service's snow piles, we received an unexpected 5-6" fluffy snowfall. Since the service doesn't give seasonal residences priority I knew it would a day or two before the service came out. Sooooo...out came the tractor. (Awww gee. Almost nothing beats 'tractor time' right folks?) In the past I've used a Frontier RB1060 rear blade to touch up the drive. Given the amount of snow this time (and the relative small size of the rear blade) I decided to clear the drive using the Edge Tamers. Bucket edge level, loader in float position and the job was done in no time...much faster than using the rear blade. SLICK!

I suspect there are other tricks to be learned using Edge Tamers but I am convinced that anyone using a FEL to clear snow off gravel or grass owes it to themselves to get a set of Edge Tamers. Operating becomes so much easier...and the results better.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to allicatguy For This Useful Post:

56FordGuy (02-19-2016), ColonyPark (02-19-2016), Gizmo2 (02-19-2016), Kennyd (02-19-2016), rtgt (02-19-2016), TheR2Guys (02-19-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    I forgot to mention that I initially installed the Edge Tamers adjacent to the inside edges of the bucket. That worked okay but given the erratic ground contour at my place the middle of the bucket would occasionally catch. So I moved the Edge Tamers 12" away from the inside edge of the bucket. No problems after that.
    Kennyd, jgayman, rtgt and 2 others like this.

5. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,888 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allicatguy View Post
    I forgot to mention that I initially installed the Edge Tamers adjacent to the inside edges of the bucket. That worked okay but given the erratic ground contour at my place the middle of the bucket would occasionally catch. So I moved the Edge Tamers 12" away from the inside edge of the bucket. No problems after that.
    Good idea!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-28-2018 @ 01:51 PM
    Thanks
    mine worked great to on my gravel driveway.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 2,188 Posts
    I got 3 for my 53" bucket just for the reason the OP states. I push all my snow into the grass areas plus do a lot of trails to our woodstove, birdfeeders, etc.

But I haven't had a chance to try them out yet........
    pcabe5 and johnH123 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements