Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 1020 Gas, Restoring

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:44 AM
    Thanks

1020 Gas, Restoring

Trying to get the tractor in top running condition before attempting any body work. And I'm having a problem finding the gasket that goes between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe. If I had an idea what it looked like I could probably find something that fits. Better still would be a replacement part. JD doesn't have it. JD also doesn't have spark plug wires. When I replaced the distributor cap the
    old plug wires are no longer a good fit. I'm assuming the old cap wasn't OEM or the wires aren't correct. Any help would be appreciated .

This is a 1966 1020 and I've been using it the way it is but it started running poorly. The time is right for some TLC
    BigJim55, raco232, Fozsey and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Way back 20+ years ago I replaced the distributor cap and wires with generic equivalents - worked well enough. I did end up replacing the distributor itself afterwards as it was quite worn and sloppy.

Here’s a place that has all the parts you mentioned except I didn’t look for the gasket. If you scroll down toward the bottom of the page you will find the wires in the universal parts section.

John Deere 2010 Parts - Electrical System Parts
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Oops - I was dyslectic with the model number. Here is for the 1020.....

John Deere 1020 Parts - Electrical System Parts
    nomorr1 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Oops - I was dyslectic with the model number. Here is for the 1020.....

John Deere 1020 Parts - Electrical System Parts

coaltrane
    Thanks for the information.

I did some searching last night and found what looks like a match on ebay for the 1020 spark plugs. If they fit I'll post a link

I'm having absolutely zero luck on the exhaust pipe gasket . If anyone can post a picture of the gasket it would be helpful or the dimensions .

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    Do you have the vertical exhaust or the horizontal? They offered both. One tip I have for you is get your points from Deere on mine the auto part store have a cross reference charts but I was having trouble getting it to run and I put a set in from Deere and no more trouble for the 6 years. Good luck on your restoration
    nomorr1 likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Drifterbike

I here you on JD parts sometimes it's just worth the money. I have the horizontal exhaust. My exhaust pipe slides up into the manifold and bottoms out leaviing almost a 1/4 inch gap. I'm assuming that the gasket is a thick flat type filling the gap. Just can't locate one so far.

I got my points plugs. condensor , rotor, distributor dust cover and cap from JD. I talked to a mechanic while I was there and showed him a picture of my fuel pump and he told me someone had put a deisel fuel pump on my gas tractor. Jd has the correct pump but no glass sediment collector . I found one on ebay along with plug wires. Hoping everything fits correctly.
    Drifterbike likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    04-14-2019 @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    Maybe this will help.

It's from the parts catalog and I don't see anything but a clamp.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nomorr1 For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (10-19-2017)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry, I know nothing about a 1020, but if there is a gasket, it should be listed with the exhaust pipe. It might be worth looking back to the manifold parts. Maybe it is shown there. Just a chance the JD parts manual author put it in a different section just to mess you up 50 years later.

It may be just a mechanical seal though. You mention the pipe bottoms out in the manifold leaving a gap. Does the exhaust pipe have a piece of the pipe extending above the flange? What does the inside of the manifold look like? Tapered, spherical shaped, or a machined step? If it isn't meant to "crush conform" to seal in the manifold, perhaps a "donut" type gasket would work. Only if there is some pipe protruding above the flange of course. Let us know what you find. This is interesting!

tommyhawk

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Thanks
    From the online parts, it's not clear to me whether it's a one or two piece seal...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L111095________UN12FEB98.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	472626
    DRobinson and nomorr1 like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I just want to thank everyone for trying to help me out. I really appreciate it.

The last picture posted by 56Nine probably shows the exhaust system with changes that were made from the early to later versions. My 1020 is an early version with the closed hydraulic system and the separate hydraulic pump for the power steering. They made several changes probably the exhaust system also I think the two piece gasket showing may be what I'm looking for.

I doubt the gaskets will be available anywhere . I have a donut type in there now and it seems to be working so far but really haven't put it to the test. If it starts leaking I'll try something else. Someone may come along that has a 1020 and has had this problem and solved it

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast