• 1 Post By tommyhawk

Thread: John Deere D Restoration Advice

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks

John Deere D Restoration Advice

Morning Everyone,
    I am a John Deere fan thru and thru. I currently bought my first 1025r sub-compact 3 years ago for our acreage and have really loved having this little tractor. But my true passion is in the old John Deere Tractors. I have been researching the John Deere D, A, and B styled and unstyled models for the past 2 years now and am getting closer to making a purchase. The "D" model I would like to be the first of my collection. I would like any info and advice one could provide on things to look for before purchasing one of these "D" tractors. What are the must know's and the must know how's to owning one of these. I am by no means a mechanic or a body shop guy but do have the will and desire to learn.
    For being new to this world I am having a hard time deciding if I should just buy one that is already restored and might just need a little touching up here and there or find one that is at least running but is going to require some work. I think the pride gained doing a lot of the work yourself would be awesome to. I know for sure I want to get one that is at least running because I would like to drive it off the trailer and have the ability to at least use and enjoy it if I want and maybe take it apart over a winter or year or so and make it as nice as I want.
    Long story short am I getting in over my head or are these old tractors basic enough to where a novice could figure just about anything out on these old tractors and could get by seeking out a little advice or help here and there.
    Thank you to all for reading and listening to me and I'm open to any feedback one could give and answer any questions you guys can throw at me.
    I love the John Deere family and community and thanks again to all that help me down this path.
    Travis.
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks
    A,B,D are pretty much the same as far as the engine as is pretty much any of the 2 cylinders. Lots of info and parts online and here. They are cool tractors and have a pretty good bark when worked. On my list to have one eventually. Not sure what you want to do, but they only thing is they are slow if you want to do parades, tractor rides etc. My 2 cents.
    thpohlman likes this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Thanks
    I can think of a few things for you to consider before taking the next step. Storage and work area. Do you have a building with a door tall enough and wide enough to move the tractor into? Is there extra space to store parts if there is a major tear down involved? Steel wheels are not friendly with concrete floors or paved driveways.

Do you already have a suitable truck and trailer to haul a tractor?

Does the work area have capabilities for lifting heavy parts? A good engine crane will handle most parts if there is room to maneuver one around the tractor. Would you have heavy duty jack stands available for supporting the tractor without wheels? Check out how a D front end is attached.

Do you have large sockets, wrenches, and torque wrench available?

Will your budget allow a new hobby? It is very hard to stop at just one Johnny Popper!

None of this is meant to discourage you from a purchase. Just some things to look at before deciding which one you want to start with. I really like the D. Styled D's are my favorite, but I've already run out of room and money!
    Keep us posted and we like pictures!

tommyhawk
    dieselshadow likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    TommyHawk
    Thanks for the input. From the feedback I've gotten so far and from the research I have done other than the heavy lifting these tractors seem to be pretty basic to work on. I got lots of room and storage. I do not want steel wheels so no worries there. I got buy the tools if there is something I don't have and for the budget. Its funny how if there is something you really want you make it work to get it. I got new truck purchase coming in the spring so hopefully by the end of next year I will have a D finally sitting in my garage ready to enjoy. Thanks again!
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Thanks
    Good news! Hope you find a nice one soon and let us watch your fun. One thing I forgot to mention, you need some strong arms to turn that big old flywheel through a compression stroke.

Had a short list of specs. on the model D. Can't guarantee the accuracy, but might be useful.

John Deere Model D
    General Specification:
    Years Produced: 1924-1953
    Serial Numbers: 30401-31319
    31413-119099
    119945-191670
    Total Built: 160,000 (approx.), all types
    Price, New: $1,000 (1924)
    Horsepower (Max.) Drawbar PTO/Belt
    6.5"x7" (kero) 22.5 30.4
    6.75"x7" (kero) 30.7 41.6
    Engine Displacement:
    6.5"x7" Engine (to S/N 53387): 465ci
    6.75"x7" Engine (from S/N 53388): 501ci
    Engine Rated rpm: 900
    Wheels/Tires, Standard
    Rear: 46x12
    Front: 28x6
    1923-30 1931-53
    Length (inches): 109.0 130.0
    Height to Radiator (inches): 56.0 61.3
    Weight (pounds): 4,100 5,200
    Transmission
    Speeds Forward (early): 2
    (from S/N 119945): 3

tommyhawk
    Last edited by tommyhawk; 11-15-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    thpohlman likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tommyhawk For This Useful Post:

thpohlman (11-21-2017)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-13-2019 @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    I know this thread is a bit old but here are some thoughts regarding doing a resto that I came up with doing my JD 60 project.
    Do you want a project or do you just want something to drive around with? Me, I wanted a dead machine to bring back to life.
    What kind of work do you know how to do. A project can have everything from a near 100% tear down to just a bit of clean up.
    For mine it was tear down, bead blast ALL parts, rebuild engine, clutch, PTO, rock shaft, etc, etc. Lots of mechanican. Then there is the fabing of parts that are not available or too durn expensive to buy. Helps to have a friend with a lathe. Then comes heavy lifting, those wheels and tires go over 600# each, don't let one get away from you. Can you do sheet metal or going to have it done, for me all a part of the learning / project. A couple of other points, Those beasts are HEAVY and without power are a problem to move around without a bunch of friends or some other source of power. When torn down they do make for an impressive pile of parts, read - you need lots of room. My project took about two years from purchase to rolling out of the garage under its own power. It was worth it all. To me the fun is working on them. Have fun with your project. My next project will be to start a thread to document the work I did on the 60.
    Hutch

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements