1983 420 Brakes?

Thread: 1983 420 Brakes?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 07:10 AM
    Thanks

1983 420 Brakes?

Picked up a 1983 JD Model 420 this spring to put a grapple on. It runs very well but the brakes are almost non-existent. So a few questions:

1) How strong are the brakes on a 420 when they are working good?

2) I don't have a repair manual yet (on order), so are there any tricks to making a brake job easier?

3) Are there any recommendations as far as what should be replaced while I'm in there?

Thanks, Steve.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	420 removing tarp.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	629970
    1983 John Deere 420 w/50" Deck and Plow
    2017 John Deere X394
    2017 44" Snow Blade
    2017 48" High Lift Deck
    2018 Innovative Grapple
    JD 10P Poly Cart
    Pull Behind Broadcast Spreader
    DR Power Grader
    MCS 7 Dump Hopper
    Power Flow Chute
    Rear Tire Chains
    (4) Suite Case Weights

"I work to live. Not live to work." "Born to fish. Forced to work." 14 months to retirement!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Well, should be as strong as the brakes on my 318, which will stop a tire on asphalt.
    You are also, when you step on the brake, trying to override the hydro, so take that into account too.
    If you step on both at the same time, it will push the lever down, and take a bit more effort.

Id try just adjusting them first. You can see the spring adjuster from the rear, above the axle, on both sides.

Taking the drums off of these can be a nightmare. Chances are, if they arent working well, they just need a simple adjustment. If that doesnt work, THEN tear into it.

There are several threads, or used to be, over on wfmachines.com about the process and difficulty.

I used to have a PDF of a manual around that was small enough to email. Not sure I still do. I do have the full size version if you just need a small portion about the adjustment.
    In any case, youll want the Tech Manual (TM prefix) for the tractor itself, and for the engine, you will need the Component Technical Manual (CTM prefix)
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 07:10 AM
    Thanks

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Well, should be as strong as the brakes on my 318, which will stop a tire on asphalt.
    You are also, when you step on the brake, trying to override the hydro, so take that into account too.
    If you step on both at the same time, it will push the lever down, and take a bit more effort.

Id try just adjusting them first. You can see the spring adjuster from the rear, above the axle, on both sides.

Taking the drums off of these can be a nightmare. Chances are, if they arent working well, they just need a simple adjustment. If that doesnt work, THEN tear into it.

There are several threads, or used to be, over on wfmachines.com about the process and difficulty.

I used to have a PDF of a manual around that was small enough to email. Not sure I still do. I do have the full size version if you just need a small portion about the adjustment.
    In any case, youll want the Tech Manual (TM prefix) for the tractor itself, and for the engine, you will need the Component Technical Manual (CTM prefix)
    Thank you Jim. I now have the manual. I just need time to dig into it. I know that the left hand side can't be adjusted to work, I can see and end of the return spring sticking out around the drum, so I'm assuming that it's snapped and has to be replaced. And if I have to do that one, then I'm going to have to do the right hand one or they won't be even anymore and will pull to the side. Not a bid deal.

Steve.
    1983 John Deere 420 w/50" Deck and Plow
    2017 John Deere X394
    2017 44" Snow Blade
    2017 48" High Lift Deck
    2018 Innovative Grapple
    JD 10P Poly Cart
    Pull Behind Broadcast Spreader
    DR Power Grader
    MCS 7 Dump Hopper
    Power Flow Chute
    Rear Tire Chains
    (4) Suite Case Weights

"I work to live. Not live to work." "Born to fish. Forced to work." 14 months to retirement!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    Having my 92 420 since new I never remember using the brakes. I always just used the hand hydro control. I only used the parking brakes when I had to. The biggest thing I had to get use to when I moved to the 1025 was using the two foot hydro pedals.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    Having my 92 420 since new I never remember using the brakes. I always just used the hand hydro control. I only used the parking brakes when I had to. The biggest thing I had to get use to when I moved to the 1025 was using the two foot hydro pedals.
    I only use mine in the Winter when pushing or blowing snow. Hard to turn with either attachment on the ground up front.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements