Restoring / Repairing Model 47 Mower deck.... question on pulley alignment

Thread: Restoring / Repairing Model 47 Mower deck.... question on pulley alignment

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks

Restoring / Repairing Model 47 Mower deck.... question on pulley alignment

Had loud (REALLY LOUD) bearings in my mower deck (model 47 for my 212) , decided to strip the entire thing down and restore everything.

In the process of removing the Double Pulley Jack shaft (where the belt from the PTO connects) , I butchered it completely , and had to order a new one (180$!$) Lesson Learned....

Now i'm fabricating a new bracket for the jackshaft to sit in , have a couple of questions:

How accurate do I have to be to make sure the bottom pulley is in the same plane as the blade pulleys ? I'm obivously going to be aiming for as close as possible ,but if it's 1/8" , or 1/4" off , is that going to destroy my belts / new bearings prematurely?

Also , the old jackshaft was slightly angled towards the back (maybe 5 degrees off of vertical) , is that like that from the factory? or did that happen in the 30+ years since it was made? Should I aim to make the new bracket match the old ?

Here's an image of the bracket i'm recreating.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOS-OEM-John-Deere-Base-AM31372-_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	696190

Thanks for any info you can give!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:57 AM
    Thanks
    I could only guess about the pulleys alignment with each other but would go with your gut, closer is better! I think I would feel good if they were all within 1/16". Belt wear would be more likely than a bearing problem.

And yes, do hold the tilt on the double pulley. It helps keep the belt on at all height adjustments. Just think about how the angle of the belt changes as the deck is fully raised and fully lowered. I don't really know the exact angle, but it's important. Can't think of a good way to measure it for you on another deck.

tommyhawk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tommyhawk For This Useful Post:

procell (07-22-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyhawk View Post
    . It helps keep the belt on at all height adjustments. Just think about how the angle of the belt changes as the deck is fully raised and fully lowered.

tommyhawk
    Thanks ! makes more sense now Explained it perfectly !

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements