• 2 Post By Camlocker75
  • 1 Post By tommyhawk

Thread: what oil to use

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-04-2015 @ 07:22 AM
    Thanks

what oil to use

I just got a 1947 John Deere mod. A tractor and want to change the oil , trans oil and rear end oil and want to make sure I use the right wt. I found that the motor oil is 40 wt. but cant find what kind of oil is used in the trans and rear end . Can anybody help me?
    Thank you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Banjo For This Useful Post:

Jep (04-22-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,289 Times in 2,580 Posts

what oil to use

The trans and rear end share the same fluid. The first reduction gear (right side of the tractor behind the clutch) also shares the same fluid, but it must be filled and drained separately. I plan on using 80/90 gear oil in my 60.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,582 Posts
    Welcome from West Virginia

Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    I remember reading operators manuals on that vintage tractor decades ago and remembering 140 weight oil was recommended for the transmission & final drives in high temps, over 100 degrees F. But for 99+% of the way those tractors are used today, 80W-90 like Jason recommends is fine.

If you plan to use the tractor in winter, cold temps, below freezing or below zero F, even thinner oil would be wise. Those old tractors relied heavily on splash lubrication, and believe me, at zero degrees F, 90 weight oil is not splashing around.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    For the engine, consult a manual. There will be different straight grades of oil depending on temperature. Modern multi-grades can be used over a wider range but they should still reflect the chart in your manual. Make sure you use a oil rated for flat-tappet valves such as what is recommended for diesel truck engines. Shell Rotella 10w-30 or 15w-40 are what I have run in all of my 2-cylinder Deere's during the winter and summer respectively. If you are a little cheap like me, you can save some of your used oil to fill your air cleaner cup!

In the trans and final drives I like to use a marine-grade 75w-90. Marine gear oil is formulated to resist water contamination and with as much as these huge castings can sweat, I figure it certainly can't hurt.

Just as important as all that other stuff, find all the grease zerks and fill them too! These old machines are like a good duck dog; happiest when thoroughly moist.

Welcome and have fun!
    johnH123 and Drifterbike like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    I changed the oil in both A and 60. Seems like everyone suggested a different brand, weight, summer, winter, etc. I finally settled on Napa straight 30W. No issues whatsoever.
    DRobinson and Drifterbike like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Thanks
    Double check in the manual, so I don't mis-lead anyone, but I believe the "A" first reduction gear cover gets the same oil as the engine crankcase, not transmission gear oil. The "B" model manual covers this well.
    IIRC the older letter models had a drain hole but no filler hole in the first reduction gear cover. Old oil could be drained from the cover, but the clutch brake shift fork housing was removed to add a specific volume of oil. Excess oil drains thru to the crankcase. Later models had a filler hole at the top of the casting for refill.
    On this 1950 "B", the FRC filler plug, with the square head, is just behind the crankcase filler pipe.

The number series (60) may be different due to the extra gearing for live power. They might share oil with the tranny/differential, I don't know. Don't have any manuals for them, so if someone who does could enlighten me, it would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mag timed.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	353226

tommyhawk
    Gizmo2 likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements