What is the best method to degrease a JD50 tractor?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What is the best method to degrease a JD50 tractor?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-20-2017 @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks

What is the best method to degrease a JD50 tractor?

What is the best method to decrease a 60 year old tractor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDRULES2 View Post
    What is the best method to decrease a 60 year old tractor?
    jdrules2; well when I did mine yrs ago, I used dawn dish soap and scrub brushes all by hand on it, other than that idn. big jim

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

JDRULES2 (06-27-2015)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    This: Degreaser | Engine Degreaser, Heavy Duty Degreaser & Cleaners

And a pressure washer. I have also used regular WD40 to degrease and that will work as well but the above cuts through nicely. Makes the job go much more quickly. Post some pictures when you get it done!
    BigJim55 likes this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jdskycaster For This Useful Post:

JDRULES2 (06-27-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    1) Spray greasy areas with PurplePower (or eco-friendly Simple Green).
    2) Scrub as needed.
    3) Blast with pressure washer.
    4) Repeat as needed.

Make sure the tractor has completely cooled off so the sudden contact with cold water doesn't crack anything. I typically wait until the exhaust manifold is cool to the touch, just to be sure. Also, avoid spraying the backside of the dash, the engine air-intake, the various case breathers, and any of the spark/ignition components. Be careful not to remove decals or paint with the power hose!
    BigJim55 and krazy_horse like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Evergreen For This Useful Post:

JDRULES2 (06-27-2015)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-20-2017 @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the info above!

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:32 PM
    Thanks
    If you can. Trailer it to your local spray carwash. I use their heated pressure washers all the time to degrease. Hot water is the secret.
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Mineral spirits in the garden sprayer. Soak it down and let it sit for a couple hours, THEN hit it with the purple power and pressure washer.

Mineral spirits penetrates heavy grease,and caked dirt on oil, much better, giving the detergent something to work on.

Think of it being like using baby oil to get grease out of the Carharts, and off the skin.

I gotta second the heated pressure washer if you can snag or borrow one. The difference is huge.
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    I repainted a 1940 B in 1972 that had a 32 year accumulation of dirt/grease/oil all over the engine/transmission.

I started with putty knives & screw drivers and scraped as much of the accumulation off as I could. Was half inch thick most places. Then I sprayed a gallon of Gunk degreaser on it straight out of the can. Their Foaming Engine Brite is the same stuff in a spray can. I hooked the B up to my Super H Farmall and towed it the 8-9 miles to the car wash in town and blasted the daylights out of it. Bet I high pressure sprayed it for over an hour. I brushed some areas with a bristle brush on some difficult areas after spraying again with Gunk. A tooth brush in some small areas works best.

When I got ready to spray paint it was clean. I masked stuff for 3-4 hours and used up most of rolls of 2" & 3/4" masking tape. No electric start or lights or hyd. On the tractor. We already had the decals and some green & yellow paint from repainting the 4010 a couple years before, gallon of green and quart of yellow was all we had to buy.

Tractor was BROWN before I started cleaning it. One pass over the sheet metal with a wire cup brush in an angle grinder and the hood was more green than I'd ever seen it.

Don't know if the B was worth the paint. Dad paid $90 for it in December '69, we put a mismatched set of 11-38 tires on in place of 9-38 Firestone's which one had a 1" diameter hole right in the middle of the tread. Tractor sold for $120 in December '72. The tractor collecting hobby really hadn't started back then. It was pretty worthless on a 160 acre row crop grain/livestock farm. It's ONLY job was to pull the JD R spreader through the 68 inch wide 100 foot long driveway down the middle of the hog house. It was too slow and miserable to start for things like raking hay, hauling feed/water to the hogs. So it sat!
    BigJim55 likes this.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-28-2016 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Lay a bunch of cardboard under the tractor to catch everything. Get a parts washer brush and a putty knife and some Varsol. Scrape the bigger stuff off and then using a smallish container you can hold in one hand, keep dipping the brush in the Varsol and start at the top. Blow it off with an air gun and repeat in the tough areas.

Once you're done, you can dispose of the cardboard properly or you could use it as a fire starter in the fire pit.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Lorne
    My century barn redo

1999 John Deere 455 AWS
    1997 John Deere 455 AWS
    2001 John Deere 445 AWS
    1994 John Deere 425 (Sold)
    60" mower, 60" mower, 60" mower with JD Mulch Kit, 54" Mower, MC519 and Powerflow, 47" Snow Blower, 54" blade with bucket add-on (Plucket), 54" blade, 54" blade, 51" Broom, and garden cart
    John Deere 314 Sold
    Grew up with a John Deere 140 and all the goodies

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
    I repainted a 1940 B in 1972 that had a 32 year accumulation of dirt/grease/oil all over the engine/transmission.

I started with putty knives & screw drivers and scraped as much of the accumulation off as I could. Was half inch thick most places. Then I sprayed a gallon of Gunk degreaser on it straight out of the can. Their Foaming Engine Brite is the same stuff in a spray can. I hooked the B up to my Super H Farmall and towed it the 8-9 miles to the car wash in town and blasted the daylights out of it. Bet I high pressure sprayed it for over an hour. I brushed some areas with a bristle brush on some difficult areas after spraying again with Gunk. A tooth brush in some small areas works best.

When I got ready to spray paint it was clean. I masked stuff for 3-4 hours and used up most of rolls of 2" & 3/4" masking tape. No electric start or lights or hyd. On the tractor. We already had the decals and some green & yellow paint from repainting the 4010 a couple years before, gallon of green and quart of yellow was all we had to buy.

Tractor was BROWN before I started cleaning it. One pass over the sheet metal with a wire cup brush in an angle grinder and the hood was more green than I'd ever seen it.

Don't know if the B was worth the paint. Dad paid $90 for it in December '69, we put a mismatched set of 11-38 tires on in place of 9-38 Firestone's which one had a 1" diameter hole right in the middle of the tread. Tractor sold for $120 in December '72. The tractor collecting hobby really hadn't started back then. It was pretty worthless on a 160 acre row crop grain/livestock farm. It's ONLY job was to pull the JD R spreader through the 68 inch wide 100 foot long driveway down the middle of the hog house. It was too slow and miserable to start for things like raking hay, hauling feed/water to the hogs. So it sat!
    I miss foaming engine bright. Bad.
    They changed it, and now it's no better than Purple power.

Same thing with Carb boil. Ya can't even find the stuff anymore.

Yay!!! Progress!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dingeryote For This Useful Post:

MFreund1 (07-26-2015)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast