Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Restoration of my '73 2030 John Deere tractor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-23-2019 @ 12:48 PM
    Thanks

Restoration of my '73 2030 John Deere tractor

I am new to the forum and I am currently in the process of awakening my grandmothers '73 2030 John Deere tractor. Originally, it started life on a grass farm for the first ten years or so. We all know how well it was taken care of there. My dad told me that one of the workers there had changed the oil in the tractor and then began about a 15 mile trip to another grass farm. On the way there, the drain plug feel out. Needless to say, either the worker didn't see the oil pressure light come on or it didn't work and the engine locked up. The owner of the grass farm was a good friend on my dads and gave him a good deal on the tractor. My grandmother purchased it and I can remember my dad and I going over to the barn at the grass field and dragging it to our house. That was probably in the early '80's. Dad and I pulled the tractor apart and my dad rebuilt the engine. From there, it has spent the rest of it's life in the hay fields and mowing pastures I pretty much grew up riding it. All of my summers as a kid were spent cutting hay and mowing or plowing the hay fields in the off season. My grandmother passed about 20 years ago and my mom ended selling all of the cattle. My cousin lived in her house and used the tractor a few times to mow around the house until a hole rusted through the fuel tank. At that point, it became a permanent fixture in the pasture and began to slowly sink into the ground and brush growing up around it. After setting for about 5 years, I asked my mom if I could have it. She told me to have at it. One day, my dad and I went out, pulled the fuel tank, and my dad welded to holes up. We put the tank back in, added a few gallons of diesel, and battery. Gave a few shots of starting fluid and it came back to life. I drove it up on the trailer and took it to my house. I wish I would have taken some pictures before I moved it. It has since been cleaned up and painted but I never finished the project. Recently, I pulled it out of my dads shop and now I am in the process of trying to get it finished. I'll try and keep the thread updated, but a lot of the work has already been completed when I first brought it home several years ago. These are pictures of it the day I pulled it out of the brush and brought it home. Obviously before I had a digital camera. Thanks, Steven

Last edited by 69rrvert; 11-12-2015 at 02:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 1974 2030, mine had (missing in action) a black grill medallion instead of yellow. mine also has the down exhaust. I do not see many with that option.

So I will love to watch you bring yours back to glory.

I will probably never repaint mine; I would then be too afraid of scratching it up. Unless I do that (a repaint) to sell it or retire it to life of parades and tractor shows. (I've never been one to want and sit at a show with my tractor), but never say never, it may be later life thing for me?
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 960 Posts
    Great story, thanks for sharing!🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Drifterbike likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    When I picked up the tractor, the only sheet metal left on it was the bent up hood and rusted side panels. The side screens and fenders were gone and the original seat had rusted off. All four tires were flat and rotten and it did not have a muffler, but at least it started so I still had something to work with. When I got it home, I pulled what was left off so I could clean it. I used about 4 cans of Easy Off oven cleaner and let it set over night. The next morning I got after it with a power washer. The oven cleaner worked very well in cutting the grease and a lot of the paint as well. Here are some pictures before and after I washed it. Sorry if they are bad pictures. Some are prints that I recently found and scanned. Thanks, Steven

After the Easy Off oven cleaner bath:

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I love the shot with the new seat setting on it. Mine might get a new seat!
    J

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Here are a few pictures after I painted the tractor. I used an automotive paint rather than paint from John Deere. Now that I am working on the tractor again, I am seriously thinking about sanding it all down and repainting it using John Deere paint. I am not real happy with how the hood came out and will be repainting it for sure. These pictures are from when I painted it back in '06. Thanks, Steven

1973 2030 John Deere tractor
    1969 Plymouth Road Runner Convertible

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Since the previous pictures were taken (2006), I haven't worked on the tractor at all. I would go over to my parents house and periodically start it up. The radiator had a big hole in it so I couldn't let it run too long. One day, I tried to crank it and it would not start. I could not hear the injection pump click when the key was turned on so I pretty much gave up on it. I knew I could not afford a new injection pump or have it rebuilt so I pretty much left it alone to collect dust and mildew. A few months ago I talked with a pump rebuild shop and the guy told me to pull the top of the pump off and replace the coil since it was an inexpensive item. I ordered as new coil and replaced it. Primed all the fuel lines and it cranked right up. I was happy and now I am back to getting it put together. I washed all the mildew off, cleaned it up, and replaced the radiator. Recently, I removed the front axle to replace all of the bushings and tie rods. They are so worn out that you cant even drive it without the front end shaking. My dad made a new pin for the bell crank and replaced it. For now, I am waiting for all of the bushings to get here. Once everything is here, I'll have to sandblast the front axle and paint it before I put it back in. Here are current pictures of how the tractor sits right now. Thanks, Steven

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,414 Posts
    Can you talk some about your 69 Road Runner?

The 2030 looks pretty darn good from here.
    Zebrafive likes this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    The Road Runner is pretty much an original 383 / auto but unfortunately it is not numbers matching. My uncle mistakenly let the original engine go years ago before my dad acquired the car in the early 80's. As for the engine, it's a .030" over 383 with forged flattop pistons and a Comp Cams 268H cam with original iron heads and intake. It came with a factory 3.91 posi but I put in a set of 3.23's so I could drive it to car shows. It's a turd with the 3.23's but the 3.91's are not highway friendly. Here are a few pics of the Road Runner. Thanks, Steven

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Hard believe you let the 2030 set NINE years! Do you only restore and show?
    J

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast